Confirmed with Link: Isles/Rangers Stadium Series game at MetLife in February 2024

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Gotcha. Met life isn’t a rags home game?

The Rags aren't allowed to have home games anywhere but MSG according to their contract or something. That's why they were the visiting team when they played against the Devils and Islanders outside.

Reactions: CaptDenisPotvin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Gotcha. Met life isn’t a rags home game?
No. The Rags can’t play any home games outside of Madison Square Garden or they forfeit their tax abatement from the State of New York.

The Rags were the road team at Yankee Stadium and at Citi Field against the Sabres.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
So this is an Islander home game? I automatically get tickets because I have season tickets? How do they even determine where my seats would be?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don’t. The novelty was gone years ago. The NHL killed the golden goose.

I didn't go to the last one so I'm considering going this time around but I do find it frustrating that there are so many and that the Islanders just won't be given a Winter Classic, which is the premiere outdoor game.

Reactions: MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don’t. The novelty was gone years ago. The NHL killed the golden goose.
I’ve always felt that they should make it a three game Christmas Day tradition. Much like NFL on thanksgiving. But that day only.

Since the NHL is so pre-expansion six centered they could keep it to those six teams competing against each other.

Also do stuff like NHL legends educating the general public on hockey basics during the intermission broadcast at Rockefeller center rink.

And CeeLo Green… of course!

Reactions: Lek

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
So this is an Islander home game? I automatically get tickets because I have season tickets? How do they even determine where my seats would be?
If i remember correctly season ticket holders paid extra for tickets to the Yankee stadium game.

The market fell apart as the game approached, ticket prices on secondary market went below face.

Reactions: eoin92

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I didn't go to the last one so I'm considering going this time around but I do find it frustrating that there are so many and that the Islanders just won't be given a Winter Classic, which is the premiere outdoor game.
The first one felt like we were being thrown a bone by the NHL. The Devils played the Rags 3 days before our game. The game was the only one on a weeknight, everyone else got a weekend afternoon. CeeLo Green antagonized the Isles fans. It was our home game but you’d never know it. Let’s see how the NHL promotes this game.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I’ve always felt that they should make it a three game Christmas Day tradition. Much like NFL on thanksgiving. But that day only.

Since the NHL is so pre-expansion six centered they could keep it to those six teams competing against each other.

Also do stuff like NHL legends educating the general public on hockey basics during the intermission broadcast at Rockefeller center rink.

And CeeLo Green… of course!
I really believe the only outdoor games should be on New Year’s Day. One in the US and one in Canada. That’s it.

If i remember correctly season ticket holders paid extra for tickets to the Yankee stadium game.

The market fell apart as the game approached, ticket prices on secondary market went below face.
Yes. The game was optional for STH’s.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I really believe the only outdoor games should be on New Year’s Day. One in the US and one in Canada. That’s it.

Yes. The game was optional for STH’s.
I like the idea of Christmas as it and hockey are the most prominent things I think of when thinking of winter. Some good marketing synergy.

But I respect that it would be a tough sell to the NHLPA to have games then. So going with New Year’s Day is still a good enough option.

I would still say three games. So that you can have a day long schedule of games at 1pm, 4pm and 7pm.

Or, maybe make the final game indoors just to highlight the game as it’s really played for potential fans.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I really believe the only outdoor games should be on New Year’s Day. One in the US and one in Canada. That’s
I’m with you on this. A US and CANADIAN outdoor day sounds good.

I did like the “Hockey Day in America” NBC did around Presidents’ Day that included a full day of hockey.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
That would be ideal. The NHL found a cool, unique opportunity and monetized the shit out of it. The novelty is obviously gone but these events still make tons of money. Oh well.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
How about an outdoor all star game. Two games. US vs Canada. The Europeans can take time off and go home.

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
This is a fiasco. First, who cares about these outdoor games any more? The sight lines are horrible. The conditions are either too hot or too cold. The ice is usually not good. Second, the Islanders just built the best arena in the NHL and for the second year in a row will only play their rivals in it once the entire season?! That's BS. I would rather watch an Islanders -Rangers game is UBS (or the Coliseum) 1000 times out of 1000.

The novelty of these outdoor games has worn off (10 years ago).

Bonus - I had Jets season tickets for over 40 years and I can say that MetLife is a terrible place to see a game. It was too far from the field and too high for football. For hockey, it will be a joke. Why did the Islanders agree to this? Two home games vs the Rangers in two seasons? The Islanders will have played the Rangers three times in UBS from November 25, 2021 through October 2024. That's just screwed up.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Bonus - I had Jets season tickets for over 40 years and I can say that MetLife is a terrible place to see a game. It was too far from the field and too high for football. For hockey, it will be a joke. Why did the Islanders agree to this? Two home games vs the Rangers in two seasons? The Islanders will have played the Rangers three times in UBS from November 25, 2021 through October 2024. That's just screwed up.
I've been to a lot of stadiums and arenas, and 100% agree with you. In a world of high-end stadiums, MetLife dropped the ball completely. Not only that, but the Meadowlands are an absolute wind tunnel. You'll be freezing your nuts off by first intermission.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad