Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I assuming the heights and weights of the prospects who attended this past weeks rookie camps are updated.

Some notables...

Collberg is up to 196. I think it was necessary that he put on some weight.
Dal Colle is 198.
Quine is 200 even
Burroughs is up to 203
Mayfield is 224
Pelech is 210
Pulock is 215
Vande Sompel is 192

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Nice!

Gonna be a lot of fun paying attention to our once again huge load of youngsters.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Mayfield is going to be such a nasty player. Hamonic 2.0.

From your HFBoards entry to the hockey gods' ears.

Lots to like if his on-ice understanding of the game and in-game decision making speed pick up, which is definitely possible with time and experience.

Now we have to see if Snow is satisfied with letting Strait/Pulock/Mayfield duke it out for spots 6/7 on the Island. Undoubtedly both Pulock and Mayfield would be better suited getting top minutes in every situation in the AHL than 5-10 minutes per night in the NHL, much less a spot in the press box.

scott99

May 13, 2005
From your HFBoards entry to the hockey gods' ears.

Lots to like if his on-ice understanding of the game and in-game decision making speed pick up, which is definitely possible with time and experience.

Now we have to see if Snow is satisfied with letting Strait/Pulock/Mayfield duke it out for spots 6/7 on the Island. Undoubtedly both Pulock and Mayfield would be better suited getting top minutes in every situation in the AHL than 5-10 minutes per night in the NHL, much less a spot in the press box.

I think the fact that Visnovski wasn't resigned, points towards Pulock making the team. Probably will see some power play time as well as being the #5 dman. Hopefully Mayfield is his partner as the #6. Though I see Hickey as the #6, obviously the Isles management loves him.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think the fact that Visnovski wasn't resigned, points towards Pulock making the team. Probably will see some power play time as well as being the #5 dman. Hopefully Mayfield is his partner as the #6. Though I see Hickey as the #6, obviously the Isles management loves him.

I'd be fine with us starting off with:
Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock

But I'm thinking things will be different on opening night. Feel like someone is on his way and that de Haan may be going the other way.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock

But I'm thinking things will be different on opening night. Feel like someone is on his way and that de Haan may be going the other way.

I would not be surprised if Snow adds another defenseman before the season starts. The left side is very small.

I think by Febuary we are seeing a defense that has Mayfield and Pulock starting every night.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
I assuming the heights and weights of the prospects who attended this past weeks rookie camps are updated.

Some notables...

Collberg is up to 196. I think it was necessary that he put on some weight.
Dal Colle is 198.
Quine is 200 even
Burroughs is up to 203
Mayfield is 224
Pelech is 210
Pulock is 215
Vande Sompel is 192

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Good to see MDC is up about 12-15 pounds from his draft year. They also have him up to 6'3". It'd be nice to see him around 205-210 by this time next year but the progress he has already made is a positive sign for a 19 year old.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock

I just hope this doesn't become another "Gerald Diduck for Craig Ludwig" deal where the latter had a terrible run with the Islanders, even though he was a defensive stalwart everywhere else he was. Diduck, while never a star, had a very solid career with multiple teams. I really liked him.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock

If they make a deal for a bigger LH top 4 d-man, he'd be the most logical guy to go as part of a package (since Leddy isn't going anywhere and Hickey has little trade value and slots in better as a #5 than de Haan).

I've seen Edler mentioned on our boards - is he truly potentially on the market or are people just throwing that out there?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
BTW, assuming they don't deal KO b/c of his contract status, another guy who could be dealt is Clutterbuck. They suddenly have a lot of depth at the bottom of the F depth chart, and with Martin an impending UFA Clutterbuck's salary might get in the way of re-signing Martin (b/c that would be a lot to be paying 4th liners). And I assume they'll want to re-sign Martin.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
BTW, assuming they don't deal KO b/c of his contract status, another guy who could be dealt is Clutterbuck. They suddenly have a lot of depth at the bottom of the F depth chart, and with Martin an impending UFA Clutterbuck's salary might get in the way of re-signing Martin (b/c that would be a lot to be paying 4th liners). And I assume they'll want to re-sign Martin.

I would keep Clutterbuck over Martin. Martin is a nice physical presence, but some team is going to overpay him, I would not be surprised if he signs for 2.5 a year somewhere.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
I would keep Clutterbuck over Martin. Martin is a nice physical presence, but some team is going to overpay him, I would not be surprised if he signs for 2.5 a year somewhere.

Agree. Clutterbuck has more offense, better on the PK, can slot in more spots in the line-up, and is only 1 year older. I love both guys but I would rather lose Martin if he gets more than $2.5 mil and replace him with Beck/Petrov who are both just as big a bit younger, cheaper, and have more offense.

Even though he is an RFA and not UFA after this year, I would say the same for Cizikas. Love his game but if he starts costing in the $2-3 mil AAV I would let him move on. Right now our 4th line makes under $5 mil total which is pretty good for how much they bring to the team. However, if it they start getting up to 8, 9, or 10 a year Snow should look in a different direction. Would be time to see what guys like Petrov, Beck, Verhaeghe, Quine, and/or Halmo can bring to that role as younger, cheaper options. Also plenty of cheap veterans out there that can be plugged in on a short term basis.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
Agree. Clutterbuck has more offense, better on the PK, can slot in more spots in the line-up, and is only 1 year older. I love both guys but I would rather lose Martin if he gets more than $2.5 mil and replace him with Beck/Petrov who are both just as big a bit younger, cheaper, and have more offense.

Even though he is an RFA and not UFA after this year, I would say the same for Cizikas. Love his game but if he starts costing in the $2-3 mil AAV I would let him move on. Right now our 4th line makes under $5 mil total which is pretty good for how much they bring to the team. However, if it they start getting up to 8, 9, or 10 a year Snow should look in a different direction. Would be time to see what guys like Petrov, Beck, Verhaeghe, Quine, and/or Halmo can bring to that role as younger, cheaper options. Also plenty of cheap veterans out there that can be plugged in on a short term basis.

Yeah, I agree. Our 4th line has been unique in that they were young and have stayed relatively intact. Most teams 4th lines fluctuate wildly season to season because those are the most replaceable players. People have gotten sentimental over Martin/Cizikas because of their tenure, but in all honesty they are very replaceable if their cost becomes prohibitive.

Clutterbuck I keep around because unlike the other two, he can slot higher into a third line position, and because he is one of the only players we have that gets under the skin of the opposition and draws penalties consistently. He's overpaid, but every team has overpaid players, and his is definitely on the low end of that spectrum.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock

I think the only way de Haan would be moved is if the Snow felt like he was getting an surefire upgrade. Also, the Isles would be adding.

Not sure if they are any teams out there with enough LHD depth that they'd be willing to down grade on D to improve up front (if that makes sense).

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Yeah, I agree. Our 4th line has been unique in that they were young and have stayed relatively intact. Most teams 4th lines fluctuate wildly season to season because those are the most replaceable players. People have gotten sentimental over Martin/Cizikas because of their tenure, but in all honesty they are very replaceable if their cost becomes prohibitive.

Clutterbuck I keep around because unlike the other two, he can slot higher into a third line position, and because he is one of the only players we have that gets under the skin of the opposition and draws penalties consistently. He's overpaid, but every team has overpaid players, and his is definitely on the low end of that spectrum.

I don't know if they are replaceable as you would think. Our 4th line did a tremendous job at suppressing shots against last year (they best line on our team). I think people mistakenly think of the 4th players as just the least skilled players (and thus easily replaced) but that's mistaken. The role our guys play is just a different set of skills and they are crazy good at it. I believe the key to our offense is the balance across 4 lines, I don't want to mess with that.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I don't know if they are replaceable as you would think. Our 4th line did a tremendous job at suppressing shots against last year (they best line on our team). I think people mistakenly think of the 4th players as just the least skilled players (and thus easily replaced) but that's mistaken. The role our guys play is just a different set of skills and they are crazy good at it. I believe the key to our offense is the balance across 4 lines, I don't want to mess with that.

No problem, age and money will mess with it. ;):D

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
I think he will make it over here way quicker than Petrov did (5 years). I think he signs with us right after his contract ends (after the 2016-17 season). He said his dream is to play in the NHL, but that he felt finishing out his contract and training in Russia would be the best route for him to take (read it in an interview).

I agree, and here's hoping...

Bumping him to third string is typical KHL politics though, when they know the player has been vocal about joining the NHL...

scott99

May 13, 2005
I agree, and here's hoping...

Bumping him to third string is typical KHL politics though, when they know the player has been vocal about joining the NHL...

Don't think it's politics this time. Two very capable KHL VETERAN goalies ahead of a 20 year old goalie.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Don't think it's politics this time. Two very capable KHL VETERAN goalies ahead of a 20 year old goalie.

Veterans in Russia...exactly.

It's not like IS is some scrub.

Excellent numbers last year- they aren't showing loyalty to IS, and why should they?

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Prospect coverage resumes tonight
Niagara (JHS) at Sudbury, 7 PM
Niagara at Sault Ste. Marie, Satuday, 7 PM
Tri City (Wotherspoon) at Spokane, Saturday 10 PM

scott99

May 13, 2005
Prospect coverage resumes tonight
Niagara (JHS) at Sudbury, 7 PM
Niagara at Sault Ste. Marie, Satuday, 7 PM
Tri City (Wotherspoon) at Spokane, Saturday 10 PM

Now it's OFFICIALLY Hockey season, Rex will be posting the game stats. I look forward to this all offseason.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Have to do this right Scott, going to warm up some L and B pizza I brought home with me from my visit to Coney Island last month. :handclap:

Sweet ! Great night for hockey, a little preseason Isle's hockey (DVR'd, stuck going to dinner tonight, life always getting the way of hockey), a few junior games. Last night I DVR'd the US Prospect game, may watch it sometime this weekend. I believe the replay is on The NHL Network several times today. Was too busy to watch last night, was watching the Ranger's game (It's good to know your enemy lol), as well as the Giant's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad