Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The way he held that follow through on the shot. The swag on this boy is through the roof.

giphy.gif

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
USA up 2-0 on Canada after one. Both PP goals. Wahlstrom looks like he'll need a game or so to fit in after the last minute addition to the roster. How good is the U.S. potentially? Kaliyev, Turcotte and Caulfield are all 2nd team PP!

Lots of fire power. Their PP is deadly. Same with Can. The skill on these kids is insane.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
US just can’t get out of their own way, K’Andre Miller (NYR prospect) may have just cost them the game with a horrendous attempt to pass his way out of problems

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
US just can’t get out of their own way, K’Andre Miller (NYR prospect) may have just cost them the game with a horrendous attempt to pass his way out of problems

And he did.

Elite play by Lafreniere, but you cannot do that.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah, but really that goal was all Robertson. an ELITE play and shot. The goalie didn't move.

it was a terrific shot. Doesn’t change the fact that wahlstrom rushed the puck and made the pass.

it still counts as an assist. I’m confused.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Few thoughts on the game:

Bobby Brink looked awesome. I am not sure of his potential at the NHL level but every time he touched the puck something good happened it seemed like.

Spencer Knight was getting lit up. He wasn't terrible, but that game doesn't strike me as a top draft pick. He relies a lot on his size, he is certainly a work in progress and not close to the NHL yet. Just for example, that McMichael goal should have been stopped. His stick needs to be on the ground because while that was a good play, that is something that will have to be stopped at the NHL level. It felt as if almost every high level opportunity went in for Canada.

Wahlstrom was decent. Had a grade A chance with an amazing save. As the tournament goes on he needs to do less puck watching and make quicker, more decisive plays.

Cole Caufield was turning the puck over it seemed every time he touched the puck. This game is a prime example of why he fell so much in the draft to me. Small, weak, and inability to get anything going. He has the talent to figure it out, but if team USA is going to go anywhere he NEEDS to figure it out.

Beecher reminds me of Greenway from a few years back. The difference between Beecher becoming a bottom six player and top six player is his skating.

Also, USA with an unlucky non call there, but they had plenty of chances to win this game.

Reactions: periferal

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Man, the rangers like to over hype their kids. From the sounds of it all last year this Miller kid was a slam dunk steal. Underperforming in his Soph year in college and this disaster today.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Man, the rangers like to over hype their kids. From the sounds of it all last year this Miller kid was a slam dunk steal. Underperforming in his Soph year in college and this disaster today.

All tools, no toolbox. He'll have flashes of brilliance and plenty of Derpitude in his game. Lack of hockey IQ will limit his upside so he's not the beast Rag fans overhype him to be.

What a stupid play to lose them the game today, he wears an A too. Inexcusable.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
All tools, no toolbox. He'll have flashes of brilliance and plenty of Derpitude in his game. Lack of hockey IQ will limit his upside so he's not the beast Rag fans overhype him to be.

What a stupid play to lose them the game today, he wears an A too. Inexcusable.

this was the knock on Miller in his draft year by the way. Always concerning when the reason why he fell is still holding him back.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
this was the knock on Miller in his draft year by the way. Always concerning when the reason why he fell is still holding him back.

I think part of it was that he transitioned to defense pretty late too, I think he was a forward all the way up to 15/16 years old. That just plays even more into the lack of hockey IQ factor. Skjei 2.0?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I think part of it was that he transitioned to defense pretty late too, I think he was a forward all the way up to 15/16 years old. That just plays even more into the lack of hockey IQ factor. Skjei 2.0?

Part of me thinks if you know hockey you simply know hockey. Pulock made a similar transition, was his IQ ever questioned up to this age? I’m not being sarcastic I actually do not know and curious if you remember.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Part of me thinks if you know hockey you simply know hockey. Pulock made a similar transition, was his IQ ever questioned up to this age? I’m not being sarcastic I actually do not know and curious if you remember.

You're right about Pulock transitioning late too, I think he moved to defense when he got to the WHL.

The main knocks were his skating and that he was all offense that needed work in his own zone. I don't ever recall his hockey IQ ever being questioned though.

There were clear questions about Miller in his draft year. All the talk was about his athleticism and elite skating. I got a little Darnell Nurse vibe... tall and amazing skating, questionable hockey IQ. Miller isn't nearly as physical though.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
You're right about Pulock transitioning late too, I think he moved to defense when he got to the WHL.

The main knocks were his skating and that he was all offense that needed work in his own zone. I don't ever recall his hockey IQ ever being questioned though.

There were clear questions about Miller in his draft year. All the talk was about his athleticism and elite skating. I got a little Darnell Nurse vibe... tall and amazing skating, questionable hockey IQ. Miller isn't nearly as physical though.

I could be way off base, but Miller kind of reminds me of Brendan Smith, albeit taller.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Few thoughts on the game:

Bobby Brink looked awesome. I am not sure of his potential at the NHL level but every time he touched the puck something good happened it seemed like.

Spencer Knight was getting lit up. He wasn't terrible, but that game doesn't strike me as a top draft pick. He relies a lot on his size, he is certainly a work in progress and not close to the NHL yet. Just for example, that McMichael goal should have been stopped. His stick needs to be on the ground because while that was a good play, that is something that will have to be stopped at the NHL level. It felt as if almost every high level opportunity went in for Canada.

Wahlstrom was decent. Had a grade A chance with an amazing save. As the tournament goes on he needs to do less puck watching and make quicker, more decisive plays.

Cole Caufield was turning the puck over it seemed every time he touched the puck. This game is a prime example of why he fell so much in the draft to me. Small, weak, and inability to get anything going. He has the talent to figure it out, but if team USA is going to go anywhere he NEEDS to figure it out.

Beecher reminds me of Greenway from a few years back. The difference between Beecher becoming a bottom six player and top six player is his skating.

Also, USA with an unlucky non call there, but they had plenty of chances to win this game.

Excellent post, but no comments on Robertson? Is it because he's Leafs property? I thought he was great and his goal was ELITE.

it was a terrific shot. Doesn’t change the fact that wahlstrom rushed the puck and made the pass.

it still counts as an assist. I’m confused.

Well you said it right there...All goals/assists count the same, but when you watch the actual play they most certainly are not all the same. I'm not dissing on OW, but rather just giving Robertson much more credit. Because when you watch any goal and don't just read the box score sometimes the setup is better than the goal and sometimes vice versa.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
It was not, he was considered one of the smartest, calmest defenseman in his age group in the dub. He was also considered a two-way defenseman not just an offensive one despite his tendency to rush the puck up ice more in those days and of course, everyone is aware of his shooting capabilities.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Excellent post, but no comments on Robertson? Is it because he's Leafs property? I thought he was great and his goal was ELITE.

Well you said it right there...All goals/assists count the same, but when you watch the actual play they most certainly are not all the same. I'm not dissing on OW, but rather just giving Robertson much more credit. Because when you watch any goal and don't just read the box score sometimes the setup is better than the goal and sometimes vice versa.

Robertson had an excellent game. I actually forgot to write about him.

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad