Staples Twitter: Isles Owners Have Been Busy (New Team President?)

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I wish there was some way to know if wang insisted on some sort of protections for snow in the sale to Ledecky. Does anyone have any idea how to find out for sure?

Because if Ledecky isn't allowed to fired snow just yet then that makes sense. However if he can fire snow and isn't to this point (despite looking for a new team president), then I'm greatly afraid then it's as if wang still owns the team.

What if Snow is still around next year in December.

It's amazing how Wang could find these Back Seat Boys.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I don't think Wang had anything in place for Snow to protect him.

Ledecky took over the team after two 100 point plus finishes. Our best playoff performance in 23 years and has a lot of pieces that carried over from those teams.

Combine that with, if he does fire this whole staff mid season and replaces them, it's already said most people don't want to feel like they are undercutting a current regime as they wouldnt want thay done to them.

This season going the way it is, does anyone think change right now will atomatically change the course of things? I want a cleaned house from top to bottom as much as the next fan, but I'm not going to sit here and concoct these paranoid theories about Wang having protection clauses in a sale.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I don't think Wang had anything in place for Snow to protect him.

Ledecky took over the team after two 100 point plus finishes. Our best playoff performance in 23 years and has a lot of pieces that carried over from those teams.

Combine that with, if he does fire this whole staff mid season and replaces them, it's already said most people don't want to feel like they are undercutting a current regime as they wouldnt want thay done to them.

This season going the way it is, does anyone think change right now will atomatically change the course of things? I want a cleaned house from top to bottom as much as the next fan, but I'm not going to sit here and concoct these paranoid theories about Wang having protection clauses in a sale.

This is what happens when you have been tortured by a team for almost a generation. From Picket to Spano to Milstein and Gluckstern to Wang and Kumar, nothing has ever been what it seems with this team. I don't believe in these theories, but I understand where it is coming from

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
This season going the way it is, does anyone think change right now will atomatically change the course of things?

This season is lost, but they could prepare for 2017/18 NOW with changing things. If they keep the staff for now 2017/18 might also be a lost season. As if performance could be turned on and off. ATM they are doing more damage, unbelievable, there is cancer and Ledecky is sitting back. Waiting for what?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Ledecky took over the team after two 100 point plus finishes.

If Ledecky has power and does nothing else than crapping on fans, my God, what an idiot. He was there for 2 seasons already, 100 points means nothing, as everybody can see now.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
This season is lost, but they could prepare for 2017/18 NOW with changing things. If they keep the staff for now 2017/18 might also be a lost season. As if performance could be turned on and off. ATM they are doing more damage, unbelievable, there is cancer and Ledecky is sitting back. Waiting for what?
If he fires cappy, they will most likely replace him with Thompson. Who, by all accounts is doing a fantastic job in Bridgeport. Maybe Thompson deserves a shot, however, if you are looking to clean house and have a new team president in place. They will want their own people. Thompson may not get a fair shake in the end and we would then be poentitally hurting the development of the kids in the AHL.

I think there is enough to be said about the fact that Ledecky was looking during this past off season.

Nevertheless, ad mentioned there are concerns from potential hires that they would be undercutting the current regime and would worry about that being done to them if this is how ledecky conducts business.

I don't want to miss out on the right guy for that reason. If it means being a little patient and getting the right guy than so be it.

If you genuinely think this regime will some how sabotage the entire next season as well, sounds a little mellow dramatic to me.

If the right people are put in place there is no reason to think we wouldn't have a big 180 next season. We have talent and we have talent waiting in the wings. Plus a lot of money coming off the books and the potential to make some other moves.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
If you genuinely think this regime will some how sabotage the entire next season as well, sounds a little mellow dramatic to me.

ahahaha you are funny. How many polls have there been in the past which asked when Capuano would be fired. How many, my God, and the big majority of voters were all wrong and Capuano is still there.

Ok, you hear it from me first, Snow will be there next Xmas.
Happy Holidays

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
We should not **** with Bridgeport at all. Thompson is doing a good job there and I hope for gods sake that HoSang, Dal Colle and Toews don't catch a whiff of Brooklyn till we have a new coach.

I sure hope if we call up anyone to fill in for Cizikas it's Kearns. I know this is off-topic but it seems every thread meshes into another because the common theme is failure.

On a presidential note, the best case scenario is that Ledecky is exercising prudence and sees this season as a loss. Maybe he doesn't want to go the interim route and would rather bring in guys who will be around for the long haul. At this point, the best things that can happen to turn this franchise around would be 1) New Management and Coaching
2) In conjunction with a lottery pick that the NEW management selects since we all know how successful Snow has been with top 5-10 picks.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I wish there was some way to know if wang insisted on some sort of protections for snow in the sale to Ledecky. Does anyone have any idea how to find out for sure?

Because if Ledecky isn't allowed to fired snow just yet then that makes sense. However if he can fire snow and isn't to this point (despite looking for a new team president), then I'm greatly afraid then it's as if wang still owns the team.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. Nor would it surprise me that Wang gave both of those 2 idiots 25 year contracts which would make it very very very hard for a new owner to eat that $.

but i say even if they did give them ridiculous contracts, then you fix the problem as opposed to being stuck for a quarter century.

the only hope I have right now is that Ledecky is just willing to write off the season & let his new hockey president, whomever that is, make all of the calls.

I just hope that new pres, doesn't give Garth & Cap an audition year.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
ahahaha you are funny. How many polls have there been in the past which asked when Capuano would be fired. How many, my God, and the big majority of voters were all wrong and Capuano is still there.

Ok, you hear it from me first, Snow will be there next Xmas.
Happy Holidays

You seem to have a propensity for ignoring a lot of thibgs already mentioned and surrounding factors.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
MIA: Ledecky and Malkin?

Are Jon Ledecky and Scott Malkin hiding in the Witness Protect Program or do they enjoy mediocrity?

Jack Capuano and Doug Weight have reached their expiration dates and its time for them to be canned, dismissed, fired and or relieved of duties.

It is almost too late salvaged this season and it's pretty embarrassing. The only difference between the Isles and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band!

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
No - Not trusting snow is smart, but what difference does it make since he needs to be fired as well?

Besides what are you concerned about in firing capuano? That things might change and the Isles might win?

You are more concerned about an interim (read "TEMPORARY") coach for the rest of a lost season then you are about keeping capuano. That is the crime here.

I'm concerned Weight or Cronin are somehow going to be worse than Capuano. Considering how the special teams have looked I don't think that concern is too far off base.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Are Jon Ledecky and Scott Malkin hiding in the Witness Protect Program or do they enjoy mediocrity?

Jack Capuano and Doug Weight have reached their expiration dates and its time for them to be canned, dismissed, fired and or relieved of duties.

It is almost too late salvaged this season and it's pretty embarrassing. The only difference between the Isles and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band!

Almost too late? :amazed: The only reasons to bring in new coaches now is A) send a message to the players and fans that performance matters and poor performance gets you canned and B) bring in a staff that can evaluate what we have and whether they fit in going forward. From my point of view, Strome doesn't fit but if a professional hockey guy thinks there is NHL talent in him and it is the system that has helped produce these horrific performances, then he stays. Same goes for veterans, ie. Ladd. Guy has always been a solid NHLer, he gets here with Cappy and guy looks like he belongs in the A--I'm guessing that Ladd's abilities haven't fallen off a cliff in a year and has more to do with the Cappy system.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Almost too late? :amazed: The only reasons to bring in new coaches now is A) send a message to the players and fans that performance matters and poor performance gets you canned and B) bring in a staff that can evaluate what we have and whether they fit in going forward. From my point of view, Strome doesn't fit but if a professional hockey guy thinks there is NHL talent in him and it is the system that has helped produce these horrific performances, then he stays. Same goes for veterans, ie. Ladd. Guy has always been a solid NHLer, he gets here with Cappy and guy looks like he belongs in the A--I'm guessing that Ladd's abilities haven't fallen off a cliff in a year and has more to do with the Cappy system.

Whatever new coach(es) come in this season will be interim and therefore in no better position to evaluate than Capuano is right now. You don't replace a coach merely to "send a message" (certainly not to the fans). You do it to improve the team and in the Islanders case, to salvage whatever is left of this wretched season.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Whatever new coach(es) come in this season will be interim and therefore in no better position to evaluate than Capuano is right now. You don't replace a coach merely to "send a message" (certainly not to the fans). You do it to improve the team and in the Islanders case, to salvage whatever is left of this wretched season.

You most certainly do send a message to players and fans, especially when new owners come in and trumpet that the players and coaches will be held accountable, otherwise they are pretty empty words which leads to fan apathy. Not sure about you but i know of a few former fans who left years ago and times feel much worse now. Owner needs to reinvigorate the fans and it starts with backing up his words with actions.

Also, what is left to salvage this year, move from 3rd worst record to 9th? Who cares abut that? An interim coach can still evaluate a players ability, maybe teach said player and have long lasting improvement and who is to say that the interim coach couldn't possiby stay on and be permanent? Likely not, but certainly not impossible. There needs to be a new voice in the room, temporary or not. Not Weigjt, Cronin or anyone else who is in the organization, NEW.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

So what you're saying is.....do whatever it takes to win?

I don't know if that fits in with this franchise. If you told me it would help market bobbleheads, it may be more believable.

But seriously, The Devils would have had a new coach in November. If not three/four years ago. To them, wins matter.

We need a stud winger for JT. Bailey is doing better and we can get value for him. Team defense hurts.....we need a better fwd. Lotsa guys can be moved. DeHaan......he should be sent packing ASAP. I want a real bona fide NHL defense first coach and new staff to evaluate first.

Silent Cal

Apr 8, 2016
Burn this **** to the ground. Get a real hockey president/GM in here and trust them to build his own staff top to bottom. We need a tremendous change organizationaly. Scouting/drafting/developing to coaching and roster decisions.

Christ...besides JT (who was a no brainer of a pick), who was the last Islander that was a bona fide all star? A forward, d-man, or goalie that made you say "damn!...he's a stud"??? It seems like even the crappy teams I've watched around the league all these years have had players with serious talent. Not us. Dating back to Milbury the scouting/drafting and development of talent has sucked.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
You most certainly do send a message to players and fans, especially when new owners come in and trumpet that the players and coaches will be held accountable, otherwise they are pretty empty words which leads to fan apathy. Not sure about you but i know of a few former fans who left years ago and times feel much worse now. Owner needs to reinvigorate the fans and it starts with backing up his words with actions.

Also, what is left to salvage this year, move from 3rd worst record to 9th? Who cares abut that? An interim coach can still evaluate a players ability, maybe teach said player and have long lasting improvement and who is to say that the interim coach couldn't possiby stay on and be permanent? Likely not, but certainly not impossible. There needs to be a new voice in the room, temporary or not. Not Weigjt, Cronin or anyone else who is in the organization, NEW.

You are asking for an 'outsider' to be hired as an interim fully knowing his kick at the can will not be full time. Extremely unlikely you get a reputable bona-fide NHL experienced coach to do that. Why? Because their reputation is on the line and they will want term to compensate for it. A wise owner does not hire a coach and give him term, to only later hire a new GM (we are presuming this is happening) - it rarely works and eventually leads to another coach being fired bc the GM will want his man in there. So, you end up with THREE coaches in >2 years.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Christ...besides JT (who was a no brainer of a pick), who was the last Islander that was a bona fide all star? A forward, d-man, or goalie that made you say "damn!...he's a stud"??? It seems like even the crappy teams I've watched around the league all these years have had players with serious talent. Not us. Dating back to Milbury the scouting/drafting and development of talent has sucked.

They've had flashes of them over the years, but it depends what tier you're talking about. DiPietro was an All-Star, as was Aucoin, and so was Palffy. It's sad that there aren't too many other guys in there with them, and that's spanning about 20 years.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm concerned Weight or Cronin are somehow going to be worse than Capuano. Considering how the special teams have looked I don't think that concern is too far off base.

in·ter·im
ˈin(t)ərəm/

noun
the intervening time.
"in the interim I'll just keep my fingers crossed"
synonyms: meantime, meanwhile, intervening time; More

adjective
in or for the intervening period; provisional or temporary.
"an interim arrangement"
synonyms: provisional, temporary, pro tem, stopgap, short-term, fill-in, caretaker, acting, transitional, makeshift, improvised, impromptu
"an interim advisory body"

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

FL sent a pretty good message to its fans and players. :popcorn:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It is funny how many do eye rolls over firing a lame duck coach. Like losing him would hurt in any way.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Why are you talking about ownership? Let's talk about the guy who will be hiring our interim coach and his name is Garth Snow. Weight or Cronin and Thompson will be our new head coach for the season. The same guy who replaced Okposo, Nielsen, and Martin with Berube, Ladd, and Chimera will be choosing our new head coach.

You feel comfortable with that?

Snow isn't getting fired mid season, and you all will just have to deal with that. If we hire an interim coach Snow will be choosing him.

1) Do you know what Snow's job is? Like, what kind of authority he has? I do. He has whatever authority the owners choose to give him. They could absolutely tell him to fire Capuano right now and put in a coach of their choosing.

2) Who cares if Snow picks the interim coach? I want to see these players play for a different coach for the last 50 games. Any different coach. Give the players 50 games with a different voice, see who is worth keeping going forward and who we should dump. If Cronin or Thompson or Weight is the interim, who cares? It's a different voice for 50 games. A different system. A chance to get more information about our players before the offseason.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Guess I am looking to see what the owner does more broadly vs. what is obvious.

I am curious too. Does he even have a heart beat? If so he probably should tell Snow and Capuano to stop blowing smoke up our rear ends in the interviews. Either they should say something meaningful or they should shut the hell up. This whole "Everything is fine" routine is pretty insulting to anyone with a brain. It is doubly insulting because it sure smells like a GM and coaching staff that know they are goners and trying hard to not say anything that could hurt them in future interviews. For a GM who prided himself on talking frankly during draft interviews and such, he sure does get very PC when the topic of how awful his personally assembled team comes up.

I'd be impressed if Ledecky clarified the term and salary of both Snow & Capuano. If they are unbreakable contracts for a long time, I think the paying customer base has a right to know at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad