Staples Twitter: Isles Owners Have Been Busy (New Team President?)

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Scott Malkin and Jon Ledecky have not said anything publicly during the Islanders’ dismal start to the owners’ first season in charge. But they have been busy.

Newsday has learned that Malkin and Ledecky have been meeting since the summer with a number of people in the hockey world, from former team chief officers to power agents to retired players, in hopes of finding a “big name†to step in and oversee the Isles’ operations.

Sources say that Malkin and Ledecky are not close to naming anyone to what would be a team president role — one of the two titles currently held by Garth Snow, who has been president and general manager since the summer of 2006. A team spokesman flatly denied that there is any search underway for a new team president.

More here: http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...ing-big-name-executive-source-says-1.12700729

Lafontaine and Brad Richards were named speaking with Ledecky and Malkin recently. Staple mentions Tallon as a possibility as well.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lafontaine hell no. And Brad Richards as in the hockey player for Tampa Dallas and the rags? Hell no. Tallon yes please.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Well, this is certainly good news. I wonder what cajoled Staple from his coma? Maybe a bad oyster?

This at least puts an outline to the new owner's direction.They will bring in a new President, then let him pick his GM and coach. I like it, but honestly it can't happen fast enough.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Well, this is certainly good news. I wonder what cajoled Staple from his coma? Maybe a bad oyster?

This at least puts an outline to the new owner's direction.They will bring in a new President, then let him pick his GM and coach. I like it, but honestly it can't happen fast enough.

Ownership must have let something leak out to serve as a warning shot across the bow.

For inquiries to have been occuring since the summer and we're only finding out about it now? Ledecky & Malkin must have leaked it out.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Staple knows Snows days are numbered so he isn't afraid to do his job. It maybe he finally grew some balls

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I like(d) Brad Richards as a player and person, but unless someone like Dale Tallon is grooming him, it doesn't make any sense.

This is very exciting news though.

LaFontaine doesn't excite me, didn't he abruptly leave the Sabres organization? Seems way too impulsive.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Patty
I like(d) Brad Richards as a player and person, but unless someone like Dale Tallon is grooming him, it doesn't make any sense.

This is very exciting news though.

LaFontaine doesn't excite me, didn't he abruptly leave the Sabres organization? Seems way too impulsive.

Patty doesn't last too long in any organization.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The article also talked about Tavares' agent being an option. That'd be something, wouldn't it?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This also makes me believe they will not let Garth Snow make any significant changes or trades this season in a hail Mary attempt to save the season. Maybe hire an interim coach or a TDL trade if we are in shouting distance of the last wild card spot.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Can't see Richards jumping to that level right away, would imagine he could get a front office gig though. And Patty has been Patty.

Mavericknyc1980

Jul 14, 2006
I would love Tallon. Ive been saying all along. This ship will go down, just so zGarth and Jack do not mess the team more.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Anyone think Garth is the kind of ass to hurt the team before he's inevitably fired? I know it goes on his track record but he comes off as the petty type

Physt

Apr 3, 2015
Anyone think Garth is the kind of ass to hurt the team before he's inevitably fired? I know it goes on his track record but he comes off as the petty type

Sadly I do think he is like that, but of he does, he won't ever get another job. I know it doesn't show but the guy does have his masters degree..

I just hate that whole my bro mentality of U of Maine. Every damn coach we have is a U of M alumnus. It's like some backwards ass club.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

What's he going to do? He has to get permission to make moves, right?

Also, put me into the "no thanks" column for LaFontaine. That guy seems to flake out whenever things get a little rough.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I had a feeling they were looking for a true hockey mind to wash out the rampant cronyism that has plagued this team. Gave Garth a public show of support but have a plan B when/if he slipped up, which we all know happened immediately.

Guys paid too much money and way too smart to let the old ways continue. First step get a true team president who can bounce out the clown brigade in Snow/Cappy/Weight. Also don't see them turning over the keys to the castle to an absolute novice like Richards. They will get someone who's either done it before or has been in an organization and was at the table.

Last edited:

Isles Maineac

Jan 16, 2013
Gorham, ME
Sadly I do think he is like that, but of he does, he won't ever get another job. I know it doesn't show but the guy does have his masters degree..

I just hate that whole my bro mentality of U of Maine. Every damn coach we have is a U of M alumnus. It's like some backwards ass club.

Having lived in Maine for the last 4 years (job transfer), I can tell you that the people in this state are quite backward. :help:

UMaine hockey has been struggling the last few years. When the new Isles president is hired, and Snow and Cappy are sent packing, I'm sure UMaine will be happy to hire a big time coach like Cappy to run the team. After all, he has shown a stellar ability to develop young players. :sarcasm:

Physt

Apr 3, 2015
Having lived in Maine for the last 4 years (job transfer), I can tell you that the people in this state are quite backward. :help:

UMaine hockey has been struggling the last few years. When the new Isles president is hired, and Snow and Cappy are sent packing, I'm sure UMaine will be happy to hire a big time coach like Cappy to run the team. After all, he has shown a stellar ability to develop young players. :sarcasm:

Yah not knocking the people of Maine but jeez; It's like Garth, Cappy, Corkum and Cronin had an all boys treehouse club or something.... No acccountability. Well at least not yet. We may have hope...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Holy Cow did not realize Ned Ryerson from Groundhog Day bought the Islanders, watch out for that puddle, she's a doozy LOL, .. not sure if that is Ledecky or Malkin but might as well be Ned Ryerson.

How old is Bill Torrey can he come back to do this

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Can't be Snow is President since 2006.

Malkin/Ledecky are slow, they had 2 years time to find a President and started searching last summer? Seems really slow.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This is great news. If they bring in a team president, it will be to essentially take over control of hockey ops. This means Snow will no longer be in control and will at some point be gone altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad