Staples Twitter: Isles offseason plans

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I would.

John Tavares is the only untouchable. Everyone else on the team should be available for the right price.

Agreed, for the right return everyone but JT is available. One thing i will say is Brock is one of the only snipers on this team. I'm hoping his defensive lapses and inability to win faceoffs could be corrected with proper coaching.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Agreed, for the right return everyone but JT is available. One thing i will say is Brock is one of the only snipers on this team. I'm hoping his defensive lapses and inability to win faceoffs could be corrected with proper coaching.

Brock needs to be on the wing.

I am much more concerned with getting rid of Grabo/Kulemin/Bailey. Atleast 2 of them have to go.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Pretty much what I meant. If the Panthers can't sell out a friggen playoff game after a season in which they win the divison...maybe they would better suited just being moved rather then bringing in an expansion team.

It would certainly provide a way to even the conferences.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think the biggest questions in the offseason surround

a) Hamonic, does he stay, how do you replace him, trade him for future assets and sign Luke Schenn, not sure, hopefully he will just stay

b) Grabovski - there are too many good guys on this team and Quine, Barzal need to be here next year.

c) Bailey - dead wood

If they sign the UFA's and add Luke Schenn, they may still be under the camp

Nielsen/JT/KO
Strome/Quine/Prince
Barzal/Nelson/Lee
Martin/Cizikas/Clutter

Hamonic/DeHaan
Leddy/Boychuk
Pulock/Schenn

Halak/Greiss

Grabo or Bailey in reserve, Kulemin in reserve, Hickey in reserve

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I think the biggest questions in the offseason surround

a) Hamonic, does he stay, how do you replace him, trade him for future assets and sign Luke Schenn, not sure, hopefully he will just stay

b) Grabovski - there are too many good guys on this team and Quine, Barzal need to be here next year.

c) Bailey - dead wood

If they sign the UFA's and add Luke Schenn, they may still be under the camp

Nielsen/JT/KO
Strome/Quine/Prince
Barzal/Nelson/Lee
Martin/Cizikas/Clutter

Hamonic/DeHaan
Leddy/Boychuk
Pulock/Schenn

Halak/Greiss

Grabo or Bailey in reserve, Kulemin in reserve, Hickey in reserve

After last night, we want to replace Hickey with LUKE SCHENN of all people?

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I don't, but if you're someone who wants size on the backend, well...

I mean, I don't accept that premise (if anything, if we're upgrading Hickey's spot, I'd hope it'd be with another D-Man who can contribute offensively), but even if I did -- Luke Schenn's problem isn't just that he plays with a style that's falling increasingly out of use. His problem is more that he's not even good at what he does.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Schenn would fill a void if Pelech is not ready for sure, clutch goals aside Hickey is treated like a rag doll out there and often causes goals the other way from pinching in and not getting back.

Schenn will drop the gloves, plays solid positional defense, and will get the puck out of his own end, there are quite a lot of negatives as well

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Schenn would fill a void if Pelech is not ready for sure, clutch goals aside Hickey is treated like a rag doll out there and often causes goals the other way from pinching in and not getting back.

Schenn will drop the gloves, plays solid positional defense, and will get the puck out of his own end, there are quite a lot of negatives as well

Hickey is also a major minus this series.

If one can dispassionately detach from the club and judge based on numbers alone you have to admit lady luck has been smiling to some degree. I will end with, thank goodness overtime in the playoffs is 5 on 5.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Hickey is also a major minus this series.

If one can dispassionately detach from the club and judge based on numbers alone you have to admit lady luck has been smiling to some degree. I will end with, thank goodness overtime in the playoffs is 5 on 5.

Yes, lady luck has not been on the Islanders' side since 1993 to be honest, seems like lady luck has always been on the other side

Hamonic injured before Washington series
Peca getting injured by Darcy Tucker
Bad calls in the Penguin series

Hickey is mostly a disaster when on ice, seem to be in our own zone when he is out there

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Luke Schenn?

Wow. Cannot see Snow who loves mobile D, giving Schenn an offer. Especially a ufa offer.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Luke Schenn?

Wow. Cannot see Snow who loves mobile D, giving Schenn an offer. Especially a ufa offer.

It's not like Schenn would cost all that much yet I think Snow would probably prefer paying Mayfield his QO to do the same thing... depth d-man for the bottom pairing. I don't see Schenn being of any interest. He's slower than Hickey or Strait... that's saying something. He's dumb to boot.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I would think Mayfield could more than adequately replace Hickey. I would love to see what he could do if he was up full-time with the club and had a steady spot.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I would think Mayfield could more than adequately replace Hickey. I would love to see what he could do if he was up full-time with the club and had a steady spot.

Agreed, but the best coach since Al Arbour puke doesn't see any value in bringing up players we may need. Then when they do come up on an emergency basis, instant scapegoat for the teflon coach.

Team wins: I'm so great at leading them to the water and making them drink.
Team loses: Hey we can only lead them to the water, they have to drink.

Funny that.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Tampa is a relatively small team up front.

Relative to who, LA or Winnipeg? It seems there pain in the ass forward is Killorn, who is definitely physically imposing. If we happen to see them in the 2ns round, there is no doubt Killorn will be tasked with laying the body on Hickey.

Johnson is smaller but overall I wouldn't say Tampa is small up front. Palat is not a smurf either. They are a speed team with average size of you ask me...

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Tampa is a relatively small team up front.

Yeah unfortunately we've gotten just about the two worst matchups possible in the last two years, as far as size is concerned. If we got the Rangers or even the Pens we wouldn't be talking about players getting manhandled.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

I'd love to see him as a regular. His skating needs a ton of work, he isn't the kind of guy you want back on a 2-on-1 yet. I do like his attitude and physical play, finally we have 3 homegrown d men on the come up. Team is in great shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad