Staples Twitter: Isles offseason plans

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Found a thread on reddit, some really big developments if true:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NewYorkIsl...le_dropping_some_rather_large_hints_and_info/

-Strait won't be back, Hickey may take the 7th d-man spot.

-He seems to indicate Halak will be traded and seems pretty sure of it, and the Isles will roll with Greiss-Berube next year. He literally said Halak will be traded to whoever will take him. Wow.

-Okposo about 10% chance of returning, Nielsen around 85%, Martin about 50%.

-Bailey and Grabo most likely trade candidates for Isles.

-Pelech possible to return before the end of the year, BPT first though.

-Good chance of finding a top winger for this offseason.

-Barzal could make team next year, MDC and JHS to BPT.

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

This makes me REALLY happy. Good riddance to Strait and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Hickey is not a top-6 defender on a team with legitimate Cup aspirations.

-He seems to indicate Halak will be traded and seems pretty sure of it, and the Isles will roll with Greiss-Berube next year. He literally said Halak will be traded to whoever will take him. Wow.

This is pretty surprising. Not sure how I feel about this. If getting rid of Halak's contract leads to something else (Stamkos?) then I could understand it.

I think we all know that Okposo is a goner, not going to shed a tear though. I will appreciate everything he did for us and he was a model Isle when times were tough, time to move on. I think Martin could stay, but at the right price.

Completely understandable. I'm a pro-Bailey guy so that stings a little bit. Grabovski can't stay healthy.

Great news, I liked what I saw of him this year. I hope he is the one who emerges as the #3LD which puts Hickey in the #7 spot.

-Good chance of finding a top winger for this offseason (Eberle for Hamonic making more sense).

This Eberle thing annoys the crap out of me. Staple and Compton have long had a raging hard on for Eberle, I don't get it. We had the same type of player in Boyes and he was cheap, not $6M. I would rage hard on this. Did Staple explicitly name Eberle because all I saw was an Edmonton mention. The only forward who could be available that I'd be ok with is Hall, but I DO NOT like him at all.

Makes sense, MDC and JHS will be at the Bridge like all the other top prospects before them. Barzal is NHL or WHL only so it's not a stretch to say this.

I'd say nothing ground breaking.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
To add, Staple mentions Barzal could get the call up to the Isles if his junior team bows out of the playoffs early this year.

Will that affect our nine game tryout decision time if he plays in the post season?

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006

Hallelujah!

Understandable. I like Halak a lot but he has proven to break down. Won't get too much back because of it despite his talents. Berube could be the future #1 and Greiss has shown us plenty this year (just stay in the crease Thomas)

I'm an Okposo fan. If we make the playoffs by a point or two, you can thank him for getting us 3 of 4 points last week with those huge clutch goals, but I know he has as many cons as pros. Neilsen is a must and I hope MM stays

Shocker! I like Grabo and if healthy, can really help in playoffs but he's made of glass. Bailey needs to go as he doesn't do anything particularly well

Very nice. Kid has big upside. If we somehow can keep Travis, next year's D could be awesome. Please don't go :(

-Good chance of finding a top winger for this offseason (Eberle for Hamonic making more sense).

Reserved on this

Seeing so many kids flourish around the league - this kid deserves a shot. His vision is way ahead of his time and he is going to be hungry for it. He really felt like he had a shot this year but the team did the right thing. So excited to see him up whenever it happens. He'll be jumping over MDC and JHS if so, hope they can stomach that

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I haven't yet read his exact wording but I'm surprised that he seems so definitive on Halak. Why would the team put that out there right now? It lowers his value and somewhat backs them into a corner. Even if they are coming to that conclusion, it doesn't seem to benefit the team to let that be known. And we all know that its easier to get blood from a stone than it is information from the Islanders that isn't purposely leaked.

thumb

Jul 18, 2006
So, we are losing Hamonic, Okposo, Halak and who knows who else. And we bring in Eberle at $6M/yr? Honestly I don't know too much about this kid other than his stats. His career stats seem similar to Okposo who we can't wait to leave. Clearly I am missing something. From what I know, I'd rather get a proper coach who can maintane Okposo more consistently in beast mode. His size is a huge need for playoff success if he is coached into using it. If long time islanders keep leaving and getting replaced by Prince sized players, then this team is dead. I would guess that our very competitive captain will not resign unless we show improvement and commitment to winning, something which is clearly missing right now.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Considering his salary and injury history, does Grabo have any trade value? I'm not so sure at this point. To a lesser extent Halak as well. Bailey could net us something along the lines of a 2nd/3rd round pick I'm guessing as his ~$3.3m hit and relative durability is much more attractive than Grabo's $5m cap charge.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The "Eberle-for-Hamonic" comment appears to be an editorial one from the reddit poster, as apart to something Staple himself said. I've removed it from the OP accordingly.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
The Halak thing makes me a little nervous. I think we can all agree that Greiss has far and away exceeded expectations this year, but what if this turns out to be an anomaly? The front office must be real high on Berube's chances of becoming a quality NHL goalie. He's looked good in his appearances, but that's an awfully small sample size.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
how could all this be decided already?

Berube has been great, but lets be realistic, this guys career in the NHL has spanned 5 games. its scary to think that somebody in the organization in realistically thinking of replacing a veteran goalie with a guy that's played 5 NHL games.

also if strait is definitely a goner, why have we even bothered playing him over our stud rookie defenseman?

this just boggles the mind.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
how could all this be decided already?

Berube has been great, but lets be realistic, this guys career in the NHL has spanned 5 games. its scary to think that somebody in the organization in realistically thinking of replacing a veteran goalie with a guy that's played 5 NHL games.

also if strait is definitely a goner, why have we even bothered playing him over our stud rookie defenseman?

this just boggles the mind.

At this point, Capuano will ride Strait until the very bitter end. I'm pretty sure you'll see Strait play a significant role in the playoffs because we need his 'heavy' game.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
At this point, Capuano will ride Strait until the very bitter end. I'm pretty sure you'll see Strait play a significant role in the playoffs because we need his 'heavy' game.

again it boggles the mind. if snow, who technically is cappy's boss, is saying to a beat writer that strait is a goner, you would think the coach is aware of this. or you would think snow would tell the coach directly. hence strait would not be taking playing time from Ryan Pulock, who clearly is the future and also playing a very solid game.

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
Well who is to say that the top line winger comes from the Hamonic Trade? Hamonic could net prospects and a pick and allow the islanders to be aggressive in free agency. Could maybe get a slightly cheaper option with Ericsson from Boston or go ahead and try to convince Stamkos to come to Brooklyn.

The Isles really don't suffer if you subtract Okposo, Bailey, Hamonic and Halak if Pulock is ready for top 4 duties, Pelech gets into the top 6, Barzal makes the NHL and Nielsen, Martin, Strome, Cizikas are resigned. Grabovski I assume still with the Isles due to his contract.

If the Isles feel Greiss and Berube > Halak then so be it going forward. The Isles could roll this next year. (According to General fanager)

Nelson (2.5m) - Tavares (5.5m) - Strome (2.5m)
Lee (3.75m) - Nielsen (5.0m) - Barzal (.925m)
Kulemin (4.2m) - Grabovski (5.0m) - Prince (1.5m)/UFA
Martin (2.0m) - Cizikas (2.5m) - Clutterbuck (2.75m)

Leddy (5.5m) - Boychuk (6.0m)
De Haan (2.0m) - Pulock (.85m)
Hickey (2.2m) - Pelech (.85m) - Mayfield (1.0m)

Greiss (1.5m) - Berube (1.5)

Total= 57.3 M with a cap of say 72M isles are just under 15m in salary cap. (My estimates of cap hits if they resign players) Feel free to splurge on Stamkos or top line winger.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

Nothing Flintstone does make sense. Pulock is a big boy, you want "heavy" you sit Hickey for Pulock.

I can't wait til Capuano is jettisoned to his next career.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island

Or the coaching staff just wants pulock fresh for the playoffs, between Bridgeport and Brooklyn he does already have 60 games played this year. I don't mind the every other game or so for pulock as much as many of you do ..... But that's assuming he plays full time in the playoffs....if he sits for strait then I'll be right there yelling with the rest of you

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Or the coaching staff just wants pulock fresh for the playoffs, between Bridgeport and Brooklyn he does already have 60 games played this year. I don't mind the every other game or so for pulock as much as many of you do ..... But that's assuming he plays full time in the playoffs....if he sits for strait then I'll be right there yelling with the rest of you

Don't bring logic to a Capuano discussion. That man does not function in that manner. :laugh:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So many hypotheticals.

Top priority should be getting Grabo off the books. It was worth a shot but it's looking like Jeremy Roenick might have been right when he trolled the Isles for paying Grabo that kind of money. Plus he's only another log in the middle of Barzals stream.

If Strait is truly a goner, that's good news. Don't know why we would put next season on the line by rolling with a career Backup In Greiss and an unproven rookie, seems like a recipe for disaster. if Halaks contract comes off the books, don't be sure whatever sniper we acquire will make this team better. Subtracting a starting net minder with Jaros experience is Riskay!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

-Good chance of finding a top winger for this offseason.

Hopefully he signs Martin for all the reasons I've stated everywhere else.
I am not happy about mention of Eberleberleberleberleberleberleberleberleberleberleberleberleberle....

I am ok with the rest, great to hear about Pelech and Barzal, etc., but I have 1 need-to-have for this summer.

NEW COACH!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Well who is to say that the top line winger comes from the Hamonic Trade? Hamonic could net prospects and a pick and allow the islanders to be aggressive in free agency. Could maybe get a slightly cheaper option with Ericsson from Boston or go ahead and try to convince Stamkos to come to Brooklyn.

The Isles really don't suffer if you subtract Okposo, Bailey, Hamonic and Halak if Pulock is ready for top 4 duties, Pelech gets into the top 6, Barzal makes the NHL and Nielsen, Martin, Strome, Cizikas are resigned. Grabovski I assume still with the Isles due to his contract.

If the Isles feel Greiss and Berube > Halak then so be it going forward. The Isles could roll this next year. (According to General fanager)

Nelson (2.5m) - Tavares (5.5m) - Strome (2.5m)
Lee (3.75m) - Nielsen (5.0m) - Barzal (.925m)
Kulemin (4.2m) - Grabovski (5.0m) - Prince (1.5m)/UFA
Martin (2.0m) - Cizikas (2.5m) - Clutterbuck (2.75m)

Leddy (5.5m) - Boychuk (6.0m)
De Haan (2.0m) - Pulock (.85m)
Hickey (2.2m) - Pelech (.85m) - Mayfield (1.0m)

Greiss (1.5m) - Berube (1.5)

Total= 57.3 M with a cap of say 72M isles are just under 15m in salary cap. (My estimates of cap hits if they resign players) Feel free to splurge on Stamkos or top line winger.

Some of that cap space might be needed to buy out Grabo and Kulemin or retain salary, They were bought in to be 2nd/3rd line NHL players who could produce enough to take the burden off JT. That experiment has failed and we need to open slots for replacements or make someone like Bailey a permanent 3rd liner. Too many 3rd line players are on the team right now, we need one 1st line player and everything else falls into place.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

That's actually kinda shocking. It seems incredibly short sighted, unless Halak's injury is giving Snow the DiPietro heebie-jeebies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad