Rumor: Isles may have good news on John Tavares as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Why do you think that? Trotz isn't even the top paid coach with this new contact, there are 3 coaches ahead of him making more, why couldn't another team give him that same contract?
What team currently is looking for a coach? Lou wanted him signed before the draft. People keep acting like the money is an afterthought. He'll gladly take it without knowing JT will sign.
If he in fact knew, it would be a done deal now.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No I don't have it, and perhaps i'm confusing fans/blogs with legitimate media.

but it's not a secret that the TML media has been openly calling for JT to sign with the Leafs as soon as he could, even going so far as to ask him how it's going to feel when he signs with the Leafs.

You do understand them asking that is a cheap way to get attention? They are just asking a question.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No I don't have it, and perhaps i'm confusing fans/blogs with legitimate media.

but it's not a secret that the TML media has been openly calling for JT to sign with the Leafs as soon as he could, even going so far as to ask him how it's going to feel when he signs with the Leafs.
I don't know if this is what you were referring to, however here is a Sportsnet story from July 26, 2016 when Tavares was on The Fan 590 in Toronto and was asked about the possibility of playing for the Leafs and he said the following.

“I would not count on that,” Tavares told Sportsnet’s Andrew Walker during an appearance on Sportsnet 590 The FAN Tuesday.

Tavares on playing for Maple Leafs: 'I would not count on that' - Sportsnet.ca

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
BTW just imagine Auston Matthews was about to be UFA and Leaf fans celebrating a report about him about to sign a deal. Holy crap we'd be roasted for doing that prior to a contract actually happening.
Where's the deal guys?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Reactions: LeafsNation75

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
You do understand them asking that is a cheap way to get attention? They are just asking a question.
Of course. but the point is, the media & TML fans have been clamoring for JT since draft day. Didn't Burke announce intentions of moving up to #1 to pick JT? Ever since then it's only been a matter of time for him to sign with Toronto.

Because of that obnoxiousness from the Leaf fans, it makes sense that when rumors are pointing to a deal getting done with the Isles, the leaf fans are going to hear it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would argue if the Toronto media only cared about the Leafs like so many claim they would have buried Tavares' response.
You can also say Tavares should have given the answer that he is a New York Islander and does not want to talk about playing for other teams. Kind of the way Drew Doughty said about all the media when he was asked the same question.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Of course. but the point is, the media & TML fans have been clamoring for JT since draft day. Didn't Burke announce intentions of moving up to #1 to pick JT? Ever since then it's only been a matter of time for him to sign with Toronto.

Because of that obnoxiousness from the Leaf fans, it makes sense that when rumors are pointing to a deal getting done with the Isles, the leaf fans are going to hear it.
Understood but when the deal does not happen then those same people will hear about it from Leaf fans. Very premature celebrations on here.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
What team currently is looking for a coach? Lou wanted him signed before the draft. People keep acting like the money is an afterthought. He'll gladly take it without knowing JT will sign.

Whether a team has a coaching vacancy or not, there are a few teams that I think would have dumped their coaches in order to pick up Trotz. Maybe Lou highballed him in order to go with the Isles to entice Tavares, I don't know. I would just find it odd as a coach to sign with a team when there is doubt about the future of said team's best player staying with the team. Also Trotz was just signed today, doesn't mean Tavares doesn't get the paperwork signed in the next few days.

I'm with you on the idea that Tavares should at least test FA to see what other teams have to offer, and IMO it'd be a mistake if he didn't at least listen to a few team's pitches.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
It was reported that two other teams were kicking the tires on Trotz, as well the possibility he sat out for a season. Not like the man had a gun to his head.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Understood but when the deal does not happen then those same people will hear about it from Leaf fans. Very premature celebrations on here.
Maybe I'm just naive or I'm romanticizing the situation here. But I think that it was a done deal the second Lou took the job. I think JT is relieved that there's stability, and even though there's the allure of working with/passing the franchise off to his son, I can't see Lou taking this particular job if he didn't have his best player.

Reactions: DanM

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Maybe I'm just naive or I'm romanticizing the situation here. But I think that it was a done deal the second Lou took the job. I think JT is relieved that there's stability, and even though there's the allure of working with/passing the franchise off to his son, I can't see him taking this particular job if he didn't have his best player.
Then the deal would be signed already. He is too close to being able to speak with teams to sign now.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
He had 20 million about to slip out of his hands that was guaranteed.
Understandable, however to act as if that was/would be the only offer he could have gotten...

The man is fifth in the league in wins, 2o away from the late Al Arbour, he didnt absolutely have to come to the Islanders. There were options regardless of how you fell about the money aspect.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Theres your problem. This is an Islanders close to signing Tavares thread, not a lets discuss Toronto getting him thread.

This is a rumor thread, do you know what a rumor is?

Or should Islanders fans stay outside of "Tavares to Toronto rumor" threads as well?

Sorry dude, it's a free site, maybe in the future you can become a mod and segregate those pesky Leaf fans who post in threads regarding players they could get in the offseason.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
This is a rumor thread, do you know what a rumor is?

Or should Islanders fans stay outside of "Tavares to Toronto rumor" threads as well?

Sorry dude, it's a free site, maybe in the future you can become a mod and segregate those pesky Leaf fans who post in threads regarding players they could get in the offseason.
No youre just wrong

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
No youre just wrong

I never thought about it like that.

I'm so sorry Leafs fans posted in a rumor thread about a potential signing, I will pray for all the victims of this atrocity that had to endure the thought of a rumor not being 100% fact.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If JT has made it this far, it seems obvious he is going to the listening period. He deserves that opportunity to listen to his options, I still find the Toronto Fan-tasy hilarious, bbb-but Dreger said that ...

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Man, this is an emotional roller coaster. It needed to hurry up to July 1st already.

Common sense says that if he still hasn't signed, he's going to test FA.

Being a skeptic says that he was just waiting for NYI to get serious, and they have with the whole arena thing, trotz, and Lou.

Being positive says no way Doug Wilson flips Hoffman for cheap unless he had good knowledge of the situation and had a strong feeling JT was hitting the market.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad