Rumor: Isles may have good news on John Tavares as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Someone said this on the Leafs boards and I will say it on here. Everyone seems to forget that Lou Lamoriello was the Leafs GM when they talked with Steven Stamkos before he could have been a UFA.

Since he didn't want to sign in Toronto what guarantee does Lamoriello working for the Islanders mean Tavares will re-sign with them just because they hired him?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Someone said this on the Leafs boards and I will say it on here. Everyone seems to forget that Lou Lamoriello was the Leafs GM when they talked with Steven Stamkos before he could have been a UFA.

Since he didn't want to sign in Toronto what guarantee does Lamoriello working for the Islanders mean Tavares will re-sign with them just because they hired him?

Maybe because the Islanders hired both Lamoriello and Trotz AFTER they spoke to Tavares?

"Oh.. Well.... Tavares isn't going to sign here but damn him I am 76 and this team will turn it around!"

Or try it out for Trotz

"Well I just won the Cup and Tavares is leaving, but I suppose I don't need another Cup right away."

Both of these make sense to you? Maybe you can make the point Trotz signed for money, but Lamoriello is taking the job without the assurance Tavares is staying?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe because the Islanders hired both Lamoriello and Trotz AFTER they spoke to Tavares?

"Oh.. Well.... Tavares isn't going to sign here but damn him I am 76 and this team will turn it around!"

Or try it out for Trotz

"Well I just won the Cup and Tavares is leaving, but I suppose I don't need another Cup right away."

Both of these make sense to you? Maybe you can make the point Trotz signed for money, but Lamoriello is taking the job without the assurance Tavares is staying?
Lamoriello went to the Islanders because he wanted complete control and it's what he got.

Trotz only option was the Islanders because no other teams fired their head coaches once he became available.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

Who is saying it's a guarantee? He wants to stay on Long Island. He continually says it. He loves it there. He also wants to win a championship. He stands in front of Mike Bossy's picture every home game before it starts. Seeing the organization hire an experienced GM and Cup-winning coach helps. The entire media has continually said that the Isles plan on being very active on draft day and have the picks to make some moves. That has to help. He also doesn't seem like the kind of player that wants to have other organizations waste their time when he knows the Islanders will match it and he wants to stay anyway.

I think he's going to remain an Islander and I won't begrudge if he decides to play somewhere else but it does seem like he's leaning towards staying. He'll be part of a one-two punch down the middle that could be as good as any in the league coached by the most recent SC-winning coach and a universally respected GM.

It's going to be a nail-biting week, I'll say that. Hoping he remain an Islander. He'll look odd in any other Jersey (imo).

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Why would he not want to test the market? Even if he is going to re-sign with the Isles (which I fully expect him to do), if he tests the market you know for sure that he is going to get paid more than what he would if he were to just sign with the Islanders now.

I just think that all of the contracts he'd be offered are going to be incredibly similar. Figure 7 yrs 75-80m. I just don't see any team going way beyond that to be honest.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Imagine spending time arguing with each other about whether or not a hockey player is going to sign with a team.

What's even more pathetic is you people are getting mad at each other.

Go outside, and come back on July 2nd.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
before any Leaf fan mentioned that there were posters saying "haha silly Leaf fans"

well I try not to get into the childish back and forth, but if JT signs with pretty much any team (but especially the NYI) th3 TML fans are going to hear it from fans around the league. Ever since JT's draft day they've been talking about how it's only a matter of time before JT is a Leaf.

The toronto media/fans said JT should refuse to sign his ELC with the NYI, and then when he signed his first post ELC deal how he shouldn't have done that. I mean all we've heard for the last 9 years was how John Tavares was going to sign with the Leafs the second he could.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
I think it's pretty much set that Tavares is going to be staying on the Isle. Why would Trotz sign with the team if there was doubt that their undisputed best player wasn't retuning. I doubt its a money thing there are a lot of other teams that could have given that same contract to Trotz.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
well I try not to get into the childish back and forth, but if JT signs with pretty much any team (but especially the NYI) th3 TML fans are going to hear it from fans around the league. Ever since JT's draft day they've been talking about how it's only a matter of time before JT is a Leaf.

The toronto media/fans said JT should refuse to sign his ELC with the NYI, and then when he signed his first post ELC deal how he shouldn't have done that. I mean all we've heard for the last 9 years was how John Tavares was going to sign with the Leafs the second he could.
Do you happen to have an article about that from the Toronto media?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think it's pretty much set that Tavares is going to be staying on the Isle. Why would Trotz sign with the team if there was doubt that their undisputed best player wasn't retuning. I doubt its a money thing there are a lot of other teams that could have given that same contract to Trotz.
How can people keep asking this question? 20 million. 20 million! He was not getting that anywhere else.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Do you happen to have an article about that from the Toronto media?

No I don't have it, and perhaps i'm confusing fans/blogs with legitimate media.

but it's not a secret that the TML media has been openly calling for JT to sign with the Leafs as soon as he could, even going so far as to ask him how it's going to feel when he signs with the Leafs.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
How can people keep asking this question? 20 million. 20 million! He was not getting that anywhere else.

Why do you think that? Trotz isn't even the top paid coach with this new contact, there are 3 coaches ahead of him making more, why couldn't another team give him that same contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad