Rumor: Isles may have good news on John Tavares as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe I'm just naive or I'm romanticizing the situation here. But I think that it was a done deal the second Lou took the job. I think JT is relieved that there's stability, and even though there's the allure of working with/passing the franchise off to his son, I can't see Lou taking this particular job if he didn't have his best player.
If that was true and I'm not denying there is more stability with Lou compared to what the Islanders had with Garth Snow, why didn't Tavares just re-sign with them shortly after Lou was hired which was now exactly one month ago.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If that was true and I'm not denying there is more stability with Lou compared to what the Islanders had with Garth Snow, why didn't Tavares just re-sign with them shortly after Lou was hired which was now exactly one month ago.

Because he has a once in a lifetime opportunity to watch enticing promotional videos featuring your home teams favorite players. In all seriousness, the listening period itself is an experience and incredibly validating (not that he needs it) but it's gotta feel good to have teams line up with blank checks for you. Kind of a testament to his hard work and dedication to the game.

Why do people with one company listen to recruiters from other companies? Get a feel for whats out there? See what your worth? Curiosity? Or maybe a genuine interest to get the hell away from a passionate fan base with a new arena, the calder winner and cup winning coach?

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
People realize that Lou is 75 years old, right? Stability compared to Garth, but they'll still be looking for a new GM in a couple/few years.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Man, this is an emotional roller coaster. It needed to hurry up to July 1st already.

Common sense says that if he still hasn't signed, he's going to test FA.

Being a skeptic says that he was just waiting for NYI to get serious, and they have with the whole arena thing, trotz, and Lou.

Being positive says no way Doug Wilson flips Hoffman for cheap unless he had good knowledge of the situation and had a strong feeling JT was hitting the market.
The Sharks could have used Hoffman's scoring but I agree, as a Sharks fan, going all in on Tavares seems pretty obvious to me. Or the Sharks are going after another big name.
I and many other Shark fans are eagerly awaiting July 1....

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Dunno if you're aware, best goalie prospect in hockey is currently playing in Russia and will be 23 in August. Reports out of Russia said he didn't want to sign with the Islanders while Garth Snow is in charge.

Now Lou is running the show, Stanley Cup winning Trotz is the head coach, Tavares is rumored to be sticking around, and there just so happens to be big hole in net. Trotz's defensive system is great for goalies, perfect opportunity for a Russian wunderkind prospect to take over the starting role immediately to justify a nice juicy extension during RFA negotiations.

You trade a high 1st for Grabauer and sign him long term to starter money? That opportunity goes bye-bye. This is a critical time for the Sorokin camp to let Lou know their intentions to take the starting job, or allow an outsider to come in and usurp the throne.

Maybe this Russian is as good as you say but his backup has put up better numbers than he did and he may need time in the AHL. There have been lots of Russians that have come over and been huge disappointments. If I was Tavares I would want to see Lou trade for a someone who has already played well in the NHL.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Maybe this Russian is as good as you say but his backup has put up better numbers than he did and he may need time in the AHL. There have been lots of Russians that have come over and been huge disappointments. If I was Tavares I would want to see Lou trade for a someone who has already played well in the NHL.

His Back Up is 30 years old so it is likely he reached his full potential by now. His SV% in Sweden was respectable but not anywhere near the consistency of Sorokin - .953 .929 & .931 in his last three seasons, carrying the workload as a 20, 21 & 22 year old. Now, SV % in the KHL is much higher then the NHL, but I think there is a good reason one guy is a starter and the other a backup, all footage and prospects reports on Sorokin point to him being the real deal.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If JT has made it this far, it seems obvious he is going to the listening period. He deserves that opportunity to listen to his options, I still find the Toronto Fan-tasy hilarious, bbb-but Dreger said that ...

So the Leafs are fantasy and the Sharks, Blues, Preds, Rags, and any other team are realistic and not fantasy or silly at all?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe I'm just naive or I'm romanticizing the situation here. But I think that it was a done deal the second Lou took the job. I think JT is relieved that there's stability, and even though there's the allure of working with/passing the franchise off to his son, I can't see Lou taking this particular job if he didn't have his best player.

I can see this as well, I always had him pegged to go back to NY, but I am annoyed that posters are crapping on Leaf fans who only want to see their franchise improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad