Isles claim Keith Aucoin off waivers

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
He was Hershey's center on the first line with Andrew Gordon and Graham Mink, arguably the most dominant AHL first line ever in that championship season three years ago.

I've seen more of Aucoin than probably any other player with his time in Hershey the past few years. He had an extended stint with Washington at the end of last season and into the playoffs. Don't write him off as just another mediocre waiver wire pickup. He was the victim of a deep Washington roster and finally got his shot because of all the injury problems they had late last year. He is very quick, sound defensively, and an excellent passer. Most of those 106 points he had in 2010 were assists.

He's a fan favorite everywhere he goes. People in Hershey love him; they were heartbroken when he left after last year and he gets a standing ovation whenever the Marlies play here. A very honest, hard-working player. His size is the main thing holding him back. I think he will be a lock for our third or fourth line center. I'm personally very happy to see the Islanders picked him up and I'm sure he will be happy to get a legitimate shot at cracking an NHL roster for an extended period of time as well.

This is more and more what I've been hearing about him as well...PAP v2?

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Isles need depth at forward. He has a great motor and will help until Bailey and JJ are healthy. He would need to clear waivers to get to BST. He just might play his way onto the NHL squad full time and allows Brock, CC and Niño more ice time in AHL.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Okay, I'm liking what I'm reading here. Put him between Martin and maybe Ullstrom as 4th line C (if not now, once Bailey and Joensuu come back). Don't laugh too hard, but if he's a good passer and has hockey sense he could be an interesting sometimes RW with JT and Moulson on a PP unit if Okposo isn't working out in that role.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
We are such a cracker jack organization grabbing garbage every year. Seriously hoped that with the new arena we would start producing a contender. Ill give them this year as a wash considering the lockout but come this summer we are dumpster diving I am going to be pissed.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
To me, this seems like a move to bring a scoring threat to the bottom 6. Reasoner exposed our 4th line last year, other teams could rest their top defensemen for when JT hit the ice again. I know you need fourth line grinders, but you also need a couple guys that can score.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
images

defrost-in-microwave1-300x268.jpg

images

key thaw coin

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
We are such a cracker jack organization grabbing garbage every year. Seriously hoped that with the new arena we would start producing a contender. Ill give them this year as a wash considering the lockout but come this summer we are dumpster diving I am going to be pissed.

Waiver wire claiming is not a strategy for building a winning team. Neither is building from the draft exclusively. Snow needs to supplement with trades/FA's of impact players to fill spots that make an impact.
By next season they have to change the method of team development ahead of the move to BKLYN.

As to KA, he is a guy with a motor who specializes in getiing to loose pucks ahead of everyone else. He is a good passer so his linemates will prosper if they follow him and keep their sticks on the ice.

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey

I don't see why this season has to be a wash because of the lockout? Actually it's a rare opportunity to make the playoffs (no teams are gelling it's a lot of games in a short time). You just have to have a good team that can perform consistently for a little bit of time and a goal tending tandem that can steal you some wins. We have some pieces to do that, with a couple good acquisitions I can see this team being a playoff bubble contender.

However, I feel our season will be over after the first road trip.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If not for just being a veteran presence, this is a good pick up for the Isles.

I'm glad he's getting a chance. I've got nothing but respect for this guy.

Here's an example of how good of a guy he is:
Dallas Eakins ‏@dallaseakins
Aucoin would have been a shoo-in as well for the All Star Game but asked to stay off the ballot so someone else could experience it.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
If not for just being a veteran presence, this is a good pick up for the Isles.

I'm glad he's getting a chance. I've got nothing but respect for this guy.

Here's an example of how good of a guy he is:

Nice. Legitimate 13th forward.

Anyone who thinks Connolly couldn't help this team for a short season please identify the 6 guys ahead of him on the PP?

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
Or Kip Miller, or Jeff Hamilton, or Jason Krog, or...

I would not put Krog in that category. Miller and Hamilton (and who can forget Randy Robitalle or Cliff Ronning) were guys who actually helped and played a specific role (e.g. PP).

Maybe K Aucoin can fit that mold.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If he's good at getting the puck loose and ahead of everyone else, he should be on a line with Grabner, especially with passing ability.

Second line PP unit? Aucoin/Bailey/Nielsen? Though 3 centers might be a little awkward :cool:

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78

The new arena's a couple of years out (and so is the revenue it'll generate). They'll keep building with kids and retreads for the time being.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I would not put Krog in that category. Miller and Hamilton (and who can forget Randy Robitalle or Cliff Ronning) were guys who actually helped and played a specific role (e.g. PP).

Maybe K Aucoin can fit that mold.

I was thinking of him and the others as more like "AAAA" players, as they like to say in baseball. Dominant at the AHL level, but not really able to secure a spot consistently in the NHL.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
He's splitting time as 4th line center with Reasoner according to @StapleNewsday, so there's that.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's splitting time as 4th line center with Reasoner according to @StapleNewsday, so there's that.

I'm not usually one to say this but I would rather have Konopka than Reasoner/Aucoin and Gillies over Boulton.

CDirt

Mar 20, 2008
z9.invisionfree.com
I'm not usually one to say this but I would rather have Konopka than Reasoner/Aucoin and Gillies over Boulton.

I was recently reading something that had our bottom six forwards amongst the worst in the league. Much of it appears to be due to Wang's refusal to spend any money. After this CBA passed I expected Wang to make at least one serious upgrade to the roster. Especially after securing a new arena deal.

Given the lack of commitment to the team I wonder how long before Wang sells the team to Ratner. Would make the most sense considering he aint getting his dream project in Hempstead. Which why I think he bought the team in the first place, mainly for the real estate deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad