Staples Twitter: Isles Claim JF Berube From Kings

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
What does success or failure even mean here? I'm saying I don't know if playing either will matter significantly considering the whole season is in jeopardy and more or less in Greiss' hands.

If you're concerned about Greiss' ability to handle the starting role, then that makes the issue of his back up's ability to rise to the occasion more important, not less. Unless your goal is to just throw in the towel, I suppose.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Bettman: Garth, I've had enough of your roster circumvention

Garth: Battle Level

Bettman: Wha-

Garth: Battle. Level.

Bettman: That has nothing to do wi-

Garth: Hahd

How come I heard Peter Griffin's voice in my head when I read this, very funny stuff, made me literally lol.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
If you're concerned about Greiss' ability to handle the starting role, then that makes the issue of his back up's ability to rise to the occasion more important, not less. Unless your goal is to just throw in the towel, I suppose.

Again, what is 'success' here? How does Berube succeed? By being an average NHL backup? I'd say that'd be a personal success given where his career is at right now (AHL #1). Will that significantly keep Greiss, who's already over his career high of games played, from burning out? How many playoff rounds are won because the team has an OK backup? Are you expecting a stellar 1a/1b play that would put Greiss in the position Halak was in? That's realistic? What is 'rise to the occasion' and is it gonna matter?

It's all up to Greiss now.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Halak lets in some stinkers but he does show up come playoff time. Unfortunately, I feel it will take a Cinderella story for us to get to the 2nd Round. Berube is a big question mark but I do believe in him if Snow felt he was important enough to carry all season as a #3.

Just out of curiosity , can anyone tell me more about Berube, his numbers didn't jump off the page but obviously the stat sheet doesn't tell the whole story.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Bettman: Garth, I've had enough of your roster circumvention

Garth: Battle Level

Bettman: Wha-

Garth: Battle. Level.

Bettman: That has nothing to do wi-

Garth: Hahd

I envision that scene from Good Will Hunting when Ben Affleck's character takes the meeting for the job interview and asks for a retainer. Retainer!

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Again, what is 'success' here? How does Berube succeed? By being an average NHL backup? I'd say that'd be a personal success given where his career is at right now (AHL #1). Will that significantly keep Greiss, who's already over his career high of games played, from burning out? How many playoff rounds are won because the team has an OK backup? Are you expecting a stellar 1a/1b play that would put Greiss in the position Halak was in? That's realistic? What is 'rise to the occasion' and is it gonna matter?

It's all up to Greiss now.

Yes, it's primarily up to Greiss. But we still want to get points in the games he doesn't play to try to get home ice in the first round. That's where we'll need one of the kids to play well enough to get those points. That's what success is for a back up on a playoff bound team.

And if Greiss falters, we either need one of these kids to play well enough to take over or we throw in the towel. While I wouldn't judge either if they failed to do so, it's preferable to have more options than fewer, as it means a better chance that you might find a solution that will work.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Yes, it's primarily up to Greiss. But we still want to get points in the games he doesn't play to try to get home ice in the first round. That's where we'll need one of the kids to play well enough to get those points. That's what success is for a back up on a playoff bound team.

And if Greiss falters, we either need one of these kids to play well enough to take over or we throw in the towel. While I wouldn't judge either if they failed to do so, it's preferable to have more options than fewer, as it means a better chance that you might find a solution that will work.

I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying the odds are these debates are just splitting hairs and realistically it's Greiss or nothing right now.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Yeah, he did. I feel compelled to comment because I have been somewhat ragging on him nonstop since he got here. By all means let's hope his play holds up.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
In case you didn't hear or see, ****ing berube stacked the pads last night. He's a keeper.

Rhino1985

Jul 3, 2015
He gained confidence as the game progressed...his rebounds were a bit sloppy during the first 2 periods and he awkwardly fielded some dump-ins....but he definitely has the ability to make big saves. I wouldn't be opposed to him playing between 4-6 more regular season games

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
He gained confidence as the game progressed...his rebounds were a bit sloppy during the first 2 periods and he awkwardly fielded some dump-ins....but he definitely has the ability to make big saves. I wouldn't be opposed to him playing between 4-6 more regular season games

Good points. Berube actually acknowledged his sloppy rebounds in the post game interview. Said he was trying to get into the game and usually is better about it. So he was clearly trying to correct it thru the game and actually did.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
I was at the bar for the game last night and couldn't tell...did he get a piece of the puck on that wicked stack-job? or did it just go high/wide?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Berube has been really impressive in the AHL as well as yesterday. Given the fact he hasn't played at all this year, under those circumstances, his performance has been outstanding. Time will tell if he can sustain it.

I'm as comfortable with Berube as I am with Halak these days. Halak has had some dynamite playoffs (including last year) so there's still hope for him, despite his injury history and recent performance. Greiss has been great this year but going into the playoffs, it's a bunch of question marks at the most important position.

I'm thankful for how well Hamonic, deHaan and Hickey have played. If they can stay healthy, the team will be fine.

Now if only Capuano can see fit to put Pulock on the PP, that would be a huge help.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Complete crapshoot

Don't get me wrong, I think pro scouts can do it somewhat, but as a fan it really difficult to distinguish an okay goalie from a great goalie without relying on stats (myself included). Subtle differences in angles and timing make big differences in long-term performance. It's just difficult to pick that up by eye unless you really know what you're looking for. When I read the pro scouts and goaltending coaches reports I'm amazed by the details they see.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Berube has been really impressive in the AHL as well as yesterday. Given the fact he hasn't played at all this year, under those circumstances, his performance has been outstanding. Time will tell if he can sustain it.

I'm as comfortable with Berube as I am with Halak these days. Halak has had some dynamite playoffs (including last year) so there's still hope for him, despite his injury history and recent performance. Greiss has been great this year but going into the playoffs, it's a bunch of question marks at the most important position.

I'm thankful for how well Hamonic, deHaan and Hickey have played. If they can stay healthy, the team will be fine.

Now if only Capuano can see fit to put Pulock on the PP, that would be a huge help.

That's a massive stretch. Halak has been above average in the playoffs. Playoff hockey is a different animal. To say a guy who is barely an NHL goalie, is as stable as Jaro Halak in net is borderline insane. Not one Islander fan would be comfortable with Berube starting a game in the playoffs if needed. He is an unknown in that aspect, and it is ridiculous to sweep away Halak's playoff experience with Berube's 3 good games this year

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
That's a massive stretch. Halak has been above average in the playoffs. Playoff hockey is a different animal. To say a guy who is barely an NHL goalie, is as stable as Jaro Halak in net is borderline insane. Not one Islander fan would be comfortable with Berube starting a game in the playoffs if needed. He is an unknown in that aspect, and it is ridiculous to sweep away Halak's playoff experience with Berube's 3 good games this year

I may be mistaken, but I believe Redbull essentially meant that he feels relatively comfortable with Berube in a backup role for the rest of this season, giving Greiss a few games off to rest and hopefully stay healthy and fresh for the playoffs; presumably given the up-and-down season Halak has had.

Now maybe I am wrong, and Redbull can correct me if so, but I do not think he meant that he would necessarily feel comfortable with Berube as the starter in the playoffs, hopefully Greiss proves healthy and capable for that job, just in the limited role for the handful of games Berube will be needed to spell Greiss the rest of the way.

Like I said a few times in this thread, I am thankful that Snow and the Isles finally got smart and opted to keep some additional insurance around in Berube. It was an effective gamble - at least so far.

I have enough scarring to my psyche, with memories of the washed-up Nabokov/Poulin/Nilsson games, to last for the foreseeable future. I am very happy to have depth across the system in goal, with what appears to be quality pro players in the NHL and AHL, combined with a swath of developmental prospects throughout in the lower levels.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I may be mistaken, but I believe Redbull essentially meant that he feels relatively comfortable with Berube in a backup role for the rest of this season, giving Greiss a few games off to rest and hopefully stay healthy and fresh for the playoffs; presumably given the up-and-down season Halak has had.

Now maybe I am wrong, and Redbull can correct me if so, but I do not think he meant that he would necessarily feel comfortable with Berube as the starter in the playoffs, hopefully Greiss proves healthy and capable for that job, just in the limited role for the handful of games Berube will be needed to spell Greiss the rest of the way.

You are correct danteipp, that's exactly what I meant.

I think Halak was excellent last year and I still haven't forgotten how unreal he was in MTL (playoffs 2010) before Price took over - Isles need that level (or close to it) to win a round or two (or four) this April (to June).

No, not comfortable with goaltending at all, but Halak has to be the starter in April if the Isles have a chance. Otherwise, we're hoping for a Jim Carey, Steve Penney run !

I do like the way Berube's looked in goal, but I also liked Kevin Poulin at one point.

I really wanted Luongo a few years back, before Florida stole him and his "bad contract" - damn.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00