Staples Twitter: Isles Claim JF Berube From Kings

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
This could honestly be huge. He was 37-9-4 last year in the A with a 2.18 GAA.

BroadwayJay*

This guy supposedly is a really good goalie prospect.

Yes, he was successful for the Kings, who seem to pump out passable goalies reliably. All we need are passable goalies, we do not need a Lundqvist/Price to survive (as other teams do).

Sure would be nice to have one of those though. :laugh:

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010

Won't they have to put him right back on waivers when Halak is healthy (he practiced today)? Or does this mean they plan on cutting Greiss loose?

I'm a bit confused on how this will play out.

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
Well this means Halak might be down for a while. Berube was solid, really solid for Manchester last year. He won the Calder Cup last year with the Monarchs. I think he is better than Poulin at this point, so it's not the worst to give this guy a shot, but if Halak is down a Greiss/Berube tandem is still probably going to hurt.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
This allows us to send down Williams, who is better off playing games than watching from the bench at this stage. If he actually pans out as a legit goaltender, even better.

DeanCorso

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
Good claim.

Not good for Greiss and a reason for concern on Halak.

Now can we get a claim on Barberio too?

TSN Bob McKenzie just tweeted everyone else put waivers yesterday all cleared except 3 players....Barberio stays with Montréal (but going to AHL)

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia

s4n88.jpg

Ignore the wins/losses. Look at his save %.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Not relevant to Berube, but the training camp thread is done...

DeanCorso

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
Won't they have to put him right back on waivers when Halak is healthy (he practiced today)? Or does this mean they plan on cutting Greiss loose?

I'm a bit confused on how this will play out.

Yeah if they send Berube to the AHL they have put him on waivers and LA Kings gets first right to reclaimed their former goalie.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This is an article bout Berube from June after he helped the Monarchs win the Calder Cup

It has quotes from the Kings goalie coach and from Berube.

http://frozenroyalty.net/2015/07/14/pushing-job-bigclub/

among other things cited:
Last season, the 24-year-old, 6-1, 177-pound native of Repentigny, Quebec played in 52 regular season games (3,025 minutes) with the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League, earning a 37-9-4 record, with a 2.18 goals-against average (GAA), a .913 save percentage and two shutouts.

In the 2015 Calder Cup Playoffs, Berube played in 17 games (1,019) minutes, earning a 13-3 record, with a 2.30 GAA, and a .898 save percentage, helping lead the Monarchs to the Calder Cup Championship.

and

He’s gotten better each year,†said Kings goaltending coach Bill Ranford. “Last year was his first year getting that opportunity, being thrown into a starting role, and this year, he really ran with it, being the number one guy from the start of the year, right until the end.â€

“He was [first] in the league in wins, which is a great feat in the American Hockey League,†added Ranford. “We were hoping Bartosak would battle for a little more time, but he was so good that it was hard not to go back to him. We’re ecstatic with the type of year he had.â€

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I like this very much even though I hoped for Barberio. Williams can do with some good practice in Bridgeport.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
He seems pretty mediocre to me. Hopefully this means Halak isn't out for an extended period of time.

Nice to see Snow still knows how to make a waiver claim. Would've been nice to use one on Barberio or Diaz...

DeanCorso

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
He seems pretty mediocre to me. Hopefully this means Halak isn't out for an extended period of time.

Nice to see Snow still knows how to make a waiver claim. Would've been nice to use one on Barberio or Diaz...

I didnt know you could win the AHL calder cup with a mediocre number 1 goalie:shakehead

scott99

May 13, 2005
Renaud Lavoie had mentioned Berube was on waivers and that someone would claim him. Pretty happy it was us. I think this tells you that Halak's injury may be serious OR they weren't happy with Greiss' play.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
s4n88.jpg

Ignore the wins/losses. Look at his save %.

Bingo.

As writer for the Kings system, it is disappointing to see him go purely because he put in his time, but he is nothing incredibly special. Good AHL or depth goaltender. At his ceiling he is an NHL backup. Bartosak was basically poised to take his starting job for Ontario of the AHL if he didn't get hurt to open the season.

DeanCorso

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
Renaud Lavoie had mentioned Berube was on waivers and that someone would claim him. Pretty happy it was us. I think this tells you that Halak's injury may be serious OR they weren't happy with Greiss' play.

Well Greiss stats in training camp where amongst the worst in league.

The Isles have no luck with back up goalies....the curse of Chad Johnson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad