Post-Game Talk: Isles beat Devils yet again, status quo continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It'd be more goofy for Pete to rip him after he gave him the most icetime, he'd look like a moron doing that.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Boy am I dreading Thursday . We aren't going to beat Boston. Not with this lineup at least . We have too many under performers on this team.

It's also clear to me Clarkson is going no where. Te fact that Deboer defended him was a joke . Clarkson made inexcusable turnovers that would get a younger player benched, yet he praises Clarkson for his play. Clakson brings nothing defensively , refuses to play a physical game , for whatever reason, and at te same time can't score . But , it's worse, not only can he not score , he kills almost any offense we have . He either goes offside, passes if to the other team or just puts a shot on net that's either blocked or right at the goalie .

Now, I don't expect Clarkson to play like he did in the first half of the year, it's impossible, but at least show me something .

I agree that he's killing the lines he's on but I do think he's TRYING to play physical. For some reason he's just not winning the battles he won at the start of the year. It probably has something to do with the fact that he's on his ass for most of his shift. If some team would give the Devils a second and a prospect I would gladly see Clarkson move on at this point.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Now that Clarkson had a solid year last year and went on a major surge at the start of the season, he is slowly shifting away from what got him that success. He doesn't hit anyone anymore, he thinks he can score everytime he touches the puck, holds on to the puck for ages, doesn't create a whole lot cause he doesn't utilise his teamates properly, etc, etc, etc...

One thing I can't stand anymore is his constant *****ing to the refs after the whistle... that and the fact that he tries to draw too many penalties by falling down on his ass as soon as he feels a little pressure. I know he's a poor skater but you can't be that weak and crack the freaking NHL, I mean c'mon now !!!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
lou has to make a decision. either SELL (for once) so we can stockpile, or pick up pominville or another top-6. if the deadline passes with the same team we see now, I’ll blame this season’s performance on lou, starting with not replacing parise, filled in with the matteau incident, and concluding with these poor games with 0 chemistry.

The trade market has been **** this season until the last week. With so many teams still in contention there just isn't much out there. Sure it would be great to pick up a guy like Pominville, but what's the cost going to be?

And Lou hasn't been sitting on his hands this season. He's traded for Loktionov, D'Agostini, and Ponikarovsky, all without giving up any players or prospects. He picked up Kostopolous on waivers. Given the trade market I'm not sure what else he could have done.

It's not Lou's fault his best players are underperforming. It's not his fault Zajac thinks he's John Madden. Or that Elias has disappeared after a hot start. Or that Clarkson has apparently forgotten how to play the game of hockey. Or that Henrique has hit the sophomore slump. Or that the captain hasn't played like a captain. Lou has tried to help them out by adding more depth, but until the supposed leaders on this team start leading again, it's not going to matter what he does.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Give Zajac credit for trying to warrior his way through the flu tonight. The few times he was out there he was noticable in a good way. One positive of late is the return of the good Zajac and we need that for sure.

I don't even know what Clarkson needs, he just is making terrible descisions out there.

Also the 1st period combined with the Florida games has have been the worst defense this team has played all year. Just horrendous. The merry-go-round needs to stop, it should of stopped weeks ago. If possible one of the D-men need to go, Tally or Volch preferablly, but open to Harold or Zids too. If Pete really is going to play Harrold as much as he is, then having him and Zids is redundant so one is expendable. Tally has always been the most expendable while seemingly being moveable (seemingly, see what the market looks like now because it didn't seem to be there a week ago). Volch I still think is unmovable, no one is going to want him and his contract and for good reason.

It was clear tonight Zubs was rushed back. He needed this week to practice with the team. He was rusty and not ready for game speed yet. I get why they did it (kind of a low-risk panic move), but that didn't work.

We do miss Kovy something fierce. Guy is the engine of this team, other guys live off his energy. We haven't won a game without him yet correct? Injuries are never a good excuse but we keep losing key guys at the worst times.

Also no excues left, Larrson should not sit another game this year. Same with Fayne. Harrold, Tally, and Volch can share pressbox duties. No more putting some of our best defenders in the box.

Just wanted to reply because you hit 3 points I wanted to comment on;

1) Clarkson is not even thinking at this point unless he is deciding to do the opposite of what would be a good play on purpose to try and surprise the goalie. He is stopping shots from the point to take weaker shots, stealing pucks laying there for a 1-timer from hit teammate only to take a stupid off balance shot wide of the net, and refusing to pass when he should and refusing to shoot when he should - then destroying all the cycle work with a dumb toe drag, wrap around, fall down stupefied look on his face back at the ref for a penalty. I have no idea how Pete thinks he's playing good hockey. I can take 6 stupid shots a game too and not score, especially when I'm refusing to pass and stealing pucks from my teammates.

2) Yes he was. Zubrus said as much in the post-game interview. He stated he wasn't 100% and summarized he was a little rusty and expected it. Pete said he overplayed him at 14 minutes too, so it was out of desperation he was even dressed and then overplayed. Credit to the guy for dressing and giving it his all.

3) Larsson should not sit when playing his game as he can, but he was stinking it up the last few games before he sat down. I saw it as fatigue myself and not a scolding, but rather the maintenance rest. I expect him back soon but with how compressed the schedule is and how he was getting beat to the outside again with slow first steps to the puck, I am sure that is the real reason he was sat down and I can't disagree with it. Problem is now half the team needs sat based on that trait. :help:

Beyond your points, I just feel this team and this season have slipped like a loose belt in the engine. It may squeal and slip only to have a little spray put on and the squealing stop, but it's not really being fixed.

The team is aging at the most key positions (goalie, top scorers, top minute Dmen), and have lengthy injuries to the top players as well. You can't take a 4th line made up of role players that are composed of marginal skill and out of their magical chemistry expect them to become the 3rd line all purpose grinders that replaces your lack of talent as a permanent solution. Then to bring in randoms again to back fill injuries and poor chemistry in your bottom 6, promote what should be a 3rd liner in Clarkson to top line duties and not replace your star captain's departure to free agency, well you start pushing the attack to replace the lost offense. That leads to more exposure on the D, and this D is not built to handle that and you get massive fails at getting the first goal which is paramount to the team strategy.

Now toss in the Marty injury and failure of the backup to perform to previous levels and a total stretch that destroys morale and confidence like a hydrogen bomb only to be coming out of the bunker to survey the damage when another bomb goes off and your star goal scorer is out in what should be the recovery phase and going on a playoff push to get back up in the standings and here we are - losing games in the final minutes, shrugging the shoulders and seeing how close they were to what should have been and at a loss how to fix it.

This team needs a lot of luck to be successful in it's current form. 1st goal & playing with a lead, forechecking susceptible teams, pk unit scoring, great goaltending and puckhandling, rolling 4 lines and cycling in the offensive zone. Almost none of that is happening (bold is to a degree) and they're not built to win outside of that. Injuries and OT/SO losses have only compounded the pain.

I don't see Lou making a move - the team as a whole isn't just a few plays away from blowing up and taking over in the playoffs. They are a few plays away from falling down and out of the playoffs entirely. That's why I hope he sells a couple of pending UFAs for once and re-tools with major fixes, not bottom 6 band-aids and hoping for the perfect scenario to happen.

I'm still optimistic they can make the playoffs after probably slipping out for a few games, but unless everyone gets healthy, rested, and someone gives the Braveheart speech of all-time that motivates these guys to new levels, I don't think they go past the 5 games in the playoffs and that gives me a sad because it makes me look back to last year and realize that was the last gasp for Marty and Patrik probably. :(

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The trade market has been **** this season until the last week. With so many teams still in contention there just isn't much out there. Sure it would be great to pick up a guy like Pominville, but what's the cost going to be?

And Lou hasn't been sitting on his hands this season. He's traded for Loktionov, D'Agostini, and Ponikarovsky, all without giving up any players or prospects. He picked up Kostopolous on waivers. Given the trade market I'm not sure what else he could have done.

It's not Lou's fault his best players are underperforming. It's not his fault Zajac thinks he's John Madden. Or that Elias has disappeared after a hot start. Or that Clarkson has apparently forgotten how to play the game of hockey. Or that Henrique has hit the sophomore slump. Or that the captain hasn't played like a captain. Lou has tried to help them out by adding more depth, but until the supposed leaders on this team start leading again, it's not going to matter what he does.

agreed about the current market. but all the moves you listed are really not what we need (outside of loki, which surprised even lou). we really needed to replace parise's scoring, and he still hasnt done that. maybe he tried, maybe he didnt. but theres still time left to either restock via selling, or load up for a seemingly implausible playoff run.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One thing's for sure, the team needs Kovy desperately.

Why? He had 3 goals in his prior 14 games before going down and the Devils were
5 - 9 (counting OT losses as losses) with only 1 win against a playoff team (Winnepeg) who I don't believe was above .500 at the time.

Of course you want him in the lineup, but "desperately need"? They've been losing with him.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
5 - 9 (counting OT losses as losses) with only 1 win against a playoff team (Winnepeg) who I don't believe was above .500 at the time.

You're right. We're clearly better off without him. :speechles

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area

Yup, you're right we don't need Kovy. Dump him for picks this offsesson.

Nice cherrypicking of stats too. Would read again....

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yup, you're right we don't need Kovy. Dump him for picks this offsesson.

Nice cherrypicking of stats too. Would read again....

How did I cherry pick stats??? 5 goals in last 20 games? Does that make you feel better? 3 in his last 14 whats the difference?

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
The team is aging at the most key positions (goalie, top scorers, top minute Dmen), and have lengthy injuries to the top players as well. You can't take a 4th line made up of role players that are composed of marginal skill and out of their magical chemistry expect them to become the 3rd line all purpose grinders that replaces your lack of talent as a permanent solution. Then to bring in randoms again to back fill injuries and poor chemistry in your bottom 6, promote what should be a 3rd liner in Clarkson to top line duties and not replace your star captain's departure to free agency, well you start pushing the attack to replace the lost offense. That leads to more exposure on the D, and this D is not built to handle that and you get massive fails at getting the first goal which is paramount to the team strategy.

Spot on. Our season is in a death spiral and we'll have to see if the guys can get their bearings before the looming disaster.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
One bad stretch in a short season and your done. There's a reason why Columbus is still in the hunt and Leafs are looking good.

You can't base what will happen next year, the year after, after a short season. With no training camp. With strange injuries to top minute players and role players getting huge minutes...

The ledge. Step away from it.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
He's not getting an extension by tomorrow.

Sure all of Lou's previous policies say so... but what's to say Lou doesn't figure he doesn't want to possibly lose another decent player to free agency without getting anything back? Sign an extension or be traded. This way the Devils either keep their player or get a return for losing him.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
And the purpose of trading Clarkson is... ? Who wants him? What kind of value are you getting back?

Why would he be extended? What's the point of breaking a policy that has been kept in place for everyone not named Stevens, Brodeur, or Zajac for the better part of two decades?

This isn't adding up dude. You're spending too much time following the hacks of Twitter/Facebook.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I agree that this short season is not a great way to gauge a team, it's out of whack.

But, what we're seeing is not a slump or a bad stretch of games, it's closer to an actual reflection of the team itself.

Injuries to key players have not helped, especially when we are so thin at many positions.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Lou's giving an extension to anyone tomorrow it damn well better be Elias. Clarkson can go fly a kite if he wants to money grab in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad