Post-Game Talk: Isles beat Devils yet again, status quo continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I don't see Lou making a move - the team as a whole isn't just a few plays away from blowing up and taking over in the playoffs. They are a few plays away from falling down and out of the playoffs entirely. That's why I hope he sells a couple of pending UFAs for once and re-tools with major fixes, not bottom 6 band-aids and hoping for the perfect scenario to happen.(

I'd be shocked if lou traded the pending ufas.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
I bet nothing happens.

Lou tomorrow: "No trades today folks but with Mr. Clarkson recent play we've agreed to a 7 yr/42M dollar contract. Additionally, we have called up Jay Leach and sent down Adam Larsson."

Hah

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Maybe the team is just some Nyquil away from getting better. We know Zajac has the flu.... by seeing how gassed Greene was after almost all of his shifts last night he may have it too... I'm sure it's going around.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Why would anyone advocate losing guys who should be part of the core when all you're going to get are middling returns? Getting prospects back doesn't address the fact that they need another top 6 guy, and giving up a top 6 like Clarkson for futures is not something I'd be okay with. You're creating more holes than you're filling up (potentially).

Honestly I'd rather them stand pat and make off-season trades and signings, since that's when you're much more likely to bring in a top six type of forward, which is what this team is missing right now.

Basically, I'd hold right now and not trade away any assets unless they'd make the team significantly better, then sign Clarkson for ~2-4 years and look to add a winger in the offseason while unloading older d-men.

Becoming sellers officially cashes in the season when there's no real need to do that. This team was clicking at the start of the season, and sucked when Marty got hurt. Odds are the potential of the team is somewhere in the middle, which is above how they're playing right now. No need to panic.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Why would anyone advocate losing guys who should be part of the core when all you're going to get are middling returns? Getting prospects back doesn't address the fact that they need another top 6 guy, and giving up a top 6 like Clarkson for futures is not something I'd be okay with. You're creating more holes than you're filling up (potentially).

Honestly I'd rather them stand pat and make off-season trades and signings, since that's when you're much more likely to bring in a top six type of forward, which is what this team is missing right now.

Basically, I'd hold right now and not trade away any assets unless they'd make the team significantly better, then sign Clarkson for ~2-4 years and look to add a winger in the offseason while unloading older d-men.

Becoming sellers officially cashes in the season when there's no real need to do that. This team was clicking at the start of the season, and sucked when Marty got hurt. Odds are the potential of the team is somewhere in the middle, which is above how they're playing right now. No need to panic.

If you are Lou you have to decide; Is the boat actually sinking or is it just taking on a little water....You have 24 hrs to decide though.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Considering the trend is 7 wins in 24 games. I would say either the ship is sinking or it is just taking in gallons of water.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The team is aging at the most key positions (goalie, top scorers, top minute Dmen), and have lengthy injuries to the top players as well. You can't take a 4th line made up of role players that are composed of marginal skill and out of their magical chemistry expect them to become the 3rd line all purpose grinders that replaces your lack of talent as a permanent solution. Then to bring in randoms again to back fill injuries and poor chemistry in your bottom 6, promote what should be a 3rd liner in Clarkson to top line duties and not replace your star captain's departure to free agency, well you start pushing the attack to replace the lost offense. That leads to more exposure on the D, and this D is not built to handle that and you get massive fails at getting the first goal which is paramount to the team strategy.

Now toss in the Marty injury and failure of the backup to perform to previous levels and a total stretch that destroys morale and confidence like a hydrogen bomb only to be coming out of the bunker to survey the damage when another bomb goes off and your star goal scorer is out in what should be the recovery phase and going on a playoff push to get back up in the standings and here we are - losing games in the final minutes, shrugging the shoulders and seeing how close they were to what should have been and at a loss how to fix it.

I don't see Lou making a move - the team as a whole isn't just a few plays away from blowing up and taking over in the playoffs. They are a few plays away from falling down and out of the playoffs entirely. That's why I hope he sells a couple of pending UFAs for once and re-tools with major fixes, not bottom 6 band-aids and hoping for the perfect scenario to happen.

Very good analysis. I hate to say it - and will root for success regardless - but Lou needs to be a seller.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
If you are Lou you have to decide; Is the boat actually sinking or is it just taking on a little water....You have 24 hrs to decide though.

Stoic Lou will likely ride it out like he always does. :shakehead:shakehead

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you understand how our GM operates it's really not that hard to figure out...

It's not just a Lou thing, at least 95% of GM's aren't going to 'sell' contributing pieces of their team when in a playoff spot. Yet every year around here, people complain about Lou not getting a 'return' on UFA's.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I've seen the writing on the wall for a while now, but last night's loss stings for sure. I don't know, during the game it just became more clearer than ever that this group is likely not going to be able to hold on to one of these last two spots. They're basically hanging by a thread right now.

I don't think Lou should sell off pieces, however, if a team comes along with a really attractive offer that helps us maybe next year or in the not to distant future, **** it, he should definitely go for it. At this point they can't possibly get any worse results than they have. If they win 3 games the rest of the way, they'll only be slightly under the current pace, which is downright abysmal.

I'd like to see Lou just stay the course and ride this out, unless above becomes a possibility. There are only 3 weeks to go and even if they somehow clawed their way into the top 8 when all is said and done, this group has another week tops after that. I just think it would be really foolish to invest any more picks or assets into this team as it stands now. They're just not playing well and haven't been for a long time.

I don't know about any of you, but I just really can't wait for this season to be over with. For me, it's like there is this permanent stain on this season that can never be wiped off. It's like any good vibes that were created from last year's run were totally **** on. First Parise bolts and then the league decides that they don't want to play for 4 months. Now for the last 10 weeks, we've watched an aging team suffer injury upon injury and top players come up short time and time again. It's ****ing depressing. There is nothing enjoyable about this at all right now and I'm just really looking forward to closing the book on this year. It's been a tremendous letdown from last season? Bobby Butler wearing #9 this season. Give me a ****ing break. It's like a cruel joke.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The Sharks look to be selling a few pieces and they're still in contention. Moving a player to stock up on picks and prospects shouldn't be a issue, especially regarding our ****ing 8 men rotation on the blueline.

Wilson moved Murray for a solid return considering the player he moved is slower then Volch. Does that mean that the Sharks are throwing the towel?

We need to stockpile our prospect pool and when you have a surplus of players at a single position and lack depth at the other... I just don't see what the point is to keep everyone when you can only ice 6 players per game.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Ya I said that yesterday too.

Trading a surplus for something isn't necessarily selling in the way that it is being used here. Have 8 NHL dmen is great to think about but it is doing more harm then good. Of course you want an NHLer back for moving one of them but this team isn't really is a great position to be picky.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Sharks look to be selling a few pieces and they're still in contention. Moving a player to stock up on picks and prospects shouldn't be a issue, especially regarding our ****ing 8 men rotation on the blueline.

Wilson moved Murray for a solid return considering the player he moved is slower then Volch. Does that mean that the Sharks are throwing the towel?

We need to stockpile our prospect pool and when you have a surplus of players at a single position and lack depth at the other... I just don't see what the point is to keep everyone when you can only ice 6 players per game.

The Sharks' pieces are not major parts of their team. I don't think people understand the difference. Trading Tallinder is not the same thing as trading Clarkson.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Devils are really in no-man's land -- Too good to be sellers, too bad to be buyers. So I think Lou does nothing.

If you are too good to be sellers, my thought is the only path you can possibly take is to try and make your team better by addressing the biggest weaknesses.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I don't know that "he" needs help per se, the team needs help. There just isn't any skill on this team.

I believe scoring cascades: When you have a good 1st line it opens room for subsequent lines and scoring comes. But this team is disjointed and you have a situation were literally if 2 or 3 players aren't putting the puck in the net the team has no chance most nights...That is not a formula for success.

The Sharks' pieces are not major parts of their team. I don't think people understand the difference. Trading Tallinder is not the same thing as trading Clarkson.

One thing I would love is for Lou to give us a reason, just one reason, why we are still rolling with 8 blueliners, 24 hours before the trade window closes. If chumps like Regehr and Murray are bringing back 2nd's, why the **** aren't we moving one of our guys to add some picks we gave away in the trades we've made so far?

As for Clarkson, I'd move him if the return would be worth while. David is a solid complementary player and we should pay him like one, not like a top line forward. The fact that we lost so many players via free agency has me nervous cause Lou might overpay to keep our guys on board, ala Salvador and to a extent, Zajac.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I'm beating a dead horse, I know.

Clarkson has value besides the obvious. He's been the NHLPA rep for the Devils, he's worked with local charities, and he's a fan favorite. There's something to be said for that besides his on-ice abilities.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I'm beating a dead horse, I know.

Clarkson has value besides the obvious. He's been the NHLPA rep for the Devils, he's worked with local charities, and he's a fan favorite. There's something to be said for that besides his on-ice abilities.

All of that is nice and all... but when running a hockey team, wins is what matters the most and for the moment, we aren't winning, he's not delivering and he'll probably ask for the moon this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad