Staples Twitter: Isles acquire Nick Leddy & Simpson from CHI for Ville Pokka, T.J. Brennan & A.Nilsson

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
you guys wonder how much the new owners had to do with this? garth could probably feel the pressure, and now decides to play gm

whatever, I don't care im really happy. what a great offseason and now I just want the season to start I cant wait

New owners probably had as much to do with today as Borrowaway had to do with us drafting Dal Colle and Ho Sang. Absolutely nothing to do with it. The sale hasn't even been finalized yet.

I think the future move to Brooklyn played a bigger role with the increased revenue, and Yormark basically guaranteeing the Islanders would make a splash before the move.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I'm sad Leddy's gone - but happy it's to the Isles b/c I'm a big JT fan so am happy to cheer for you.

Like I said in the main thread, Tavares is going to be smiling alot seeing Leddy with those nice breakout passes in transition. He's got an underrated shot, outstanding wheels (you guys will soon know why we kept putting his name on those best/fastest/smoothest skater threads) and very good vision. His weaknesses with what others have said (timid along the boards, questionable hockey sense, non physical) are justified, but pair him with a physical, defensive d-man.. I'm sure he'll be fine. I'm a bit biased cause I'm a huge fan of his as well. Take care of him guys. :(

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
so pretty much the Isles signed Brennan and used him as a bargaining chip. Not too bitter about it. Just because a player has AHL success doesn't mean he'd excel as well in the NHL.

I was really looking to see Pokka in the orange and blue though.

Nilsson is the piece that bugs me. thought he looked well enough down the stretch in the last season. If only he wasn't hung out to dry when Nabby got hurt. at least Snow did something right this summer. that geezer should have kicked to the curb long ago.

I may be biased here but both the giants the isles draft are now gone. Both got into injury problems in the minors and both were discarded like dead weight. You don't just toss away goaltenders who can guard the entire net while standing on their knees.

on the other hand, with Leddy in the fold does this more or less spell the end for Viz ?

you gotta admit he's old (anyone who's 38 and not exactly Lidstrom or Karlsson offense production shouldn't be a first option as a pointman on the powerplay. Also I'm thinking Leddy might have something Viz doesn't-quarterback (not just a sharp shooter)

One thing I'm agitated about- THEY TRADED FOR ANOTHER LEFTY. IS MANAGEMENT SO GOD DAMN DISEASED THEY CAN'T GET RIGHTY SHOOTERS. THERE'S A REASON WHY THE POWERPLAY TOOK A TUMBLE.- YOU CAN'T GET A ONE TIMER OFF FROM THE BLUE-LINE. (I.E.- having both d-men play their position, lefty on the right side and righty on the left)

Unless the play an umbrella, which I would SO NOT SUGGEST, as it would lead to nothing but shorthanded goals via breakaways, the numbers aren't going to get any better

First...breath...then realize there weren't any available...there feel better?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Leddy's a legit top-4 defenseman. Not a top-pairing, but not a bottom-pairing either. You're looking at one of the best teams (and defensive units) in the league.

OMG. Optimism from you for once. I like it, it looks good on you.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
New owners probably had as much to do with today as Borrowaway had to do with us drafting Dal Colle and Ho Sang. Absolutely nothing to do with it. The sale hasn't even been finalized yet.

I think the future move to Brooklyn played a bigger role with the increased revenue, and Yormark basically guaranteeing the Islanders would make a splash before the move.

I think posters need to separate decision power from financial impacts. Even if Ledecky/Malkin didn't literally urge on a trade, Wang has known since spring/early summer that he was getting a huge bucket of cash dumped on his head within the next year. That has to at least play a role in us having our most active offseason in 8 years.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
This seems like a win-win for both sides, but I'm sorry to see Leddy go. You guys will love his skating and offensive skills, and in the regular season he's been perfectly adequate defensively. He has not performed in the playoffs, but he's young and I expect will still develop. I'll be rooting for him to reach his full potential with the Isles. Good luck.

Also love the Boychuk move. Your team got a lot better yesterday, and can make some noise.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This seems like a win-win for both sides, but I'm sorry to see Leddy go. You guys will love his skating and offensive skills, and in the regular season he's been perfectly adequate defensively. He has not performed in the playoffs, but he's young and I expect will still develop. I'll be rooting for him to reach his full potential with the Isles. Good luck.

Also love the Boychuk move. Your team got a lot better yesterday, and can make some noise.

Every time Vis goes down, like right now, Leddy will get his chance to win the #1 position. I could be crazy, but if I am Nick Leddy I see the trade to the Island as the opportunity it is.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
As much as Ville Pokka is going to be a beast in 2 or 3 years, Nick Leddy is only 23 with 258 NHL games with 54 playoff games and Stanley Cup, and is a fast skating D-man. As for Brennan, no great long term loss with 4 or 5 prospects coming online in the next year or two. Kent Simpson for Anders Nilsson is a wash.

Overall, a good day for Garth Snow, adding not one, but two veteran NHL d-men, who have won a Stanley Cup, without losing someone off the opening day roster, will go a long way to keeping Conor McDavid off the Buffalo Sabers with the Isles 1st Round pick......

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
As much as Ville Pokka is going to be a beast in 2 or 3 years, Nick Leddy is only 23 with 258 NHL games with 54 playoff games and Stanley Cup, and is a fast skating D-man. As for Brennan, no great long term loss with 4 or 5 prospects coming online in the next year or two. Kent Simpson for Anders Nilsson is a wash.

Overall, a good day for Garth Snow, adding not one, but two veteran NHL d-men, who have won a Stanley Cup, without losing someone off the opening day roster, will go a long way to keeping Conor McDavid off the Buffalo Sabres with the Isles 1st Round pick......

Who cares about Buffalo? They are irrelevant and the joke of the NHL. They shamelessly have designs to tank so they can get the next shiny new prospect. Their fans have nothing to look forward to regarding their own team so they obsess over our team with the chance that they can get a good draft pick. While some of their fans actually have some class, there are so many of them on here that deserve all the misery and despair that they will be getting. They are so delusional and sour over the moves that have been made by Snow, they'll invent anything and cling to it to justify them getting some mythical draft pick that will hopefully save their franchise.

I hope we get out of the gate quickly so their hopes and dreams are dashed early. Their tears will be delicious. Otherwise, I won't give them a second of consideration unless we are playing them. I do hope Nolan works his magic so they don't get the #1 or #2 pick so we can incessantly squawk about it like they've been doing to us. I'm not usually a vindictive person, but the complete lack of class or respect of some of their fans has been absolutely appalling so pay back will be very, very, very, VERY sweet!

/rant

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Who cares about Buffalo? They are irrelevant and the joke of the NHL. They shamelessly have designs to tank so they can get the next shiny new prospect. Their fans have nothing to look forward to regarding their own team so they obsess over our team with the chance that they can get a good draft pick. While some of their fans actually have some class, there are so many of them on here that deserve all the misery and despair that they will be getting. They are so delusional and sour over the moves that have been made by Snow, they'll invent anything and cling to it to justify them getting some mythical draft pick that will hopefully save their franchise.

I hope we get out of the gate quickly so their hopes and dreams are dashed early. Their tears will be delicious. Otherwise, I won't give them a second of consideration unless we are playing them. I do hope Nolan works his magic so they don't get the #1 or #2 pick so we can incessantly squawk about it like they've been doing to us. I'm not usually a vindictive person, but the complete lack of class or respect of some of their fans has been absolutely appalling so pay back will be very, very, very, VERY sweet!

/rant

Don't know which fan base irks me more. Them or the Wild fans. God I can't stand them. They think everyone who ever lived in or played for Minnesota will come back to sign with them. Surprised they haven't ever chirped about Okposo.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

/rant

exactly PW...

We should be making moves to become a contender not give BUF a worse pick....

They have an "Islanders Tank" thread on their board..They post isles transaction and even our INJURYS...Karma is a you know what.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Don't know which fan base irks me more. Them or the Wild fans. God I can't stand them. They think everyone who ever lived in or played for Minnesota will come back to sign with them. Surprised they haven't ever chirped about Okposo.

is a UFA in 2 seasons, it may start as early as next year. LOL

"Hes from MIN"

"Hes close friends with Parise"

I can see it now...hahah

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

The worst Minny fans were more like annoying gnats that just wanted to gloat. The worst Buffalo fans have been feminine products with downright malicious and bad intentions. I try to be respectful to everyone I come across, but respect is a 2-way street. You don't show any to us, then you go can go take a leap of the f-ing bridge. To me, it's not even a close comparison.

It's quite funny since Buffalo has never won anything of significance and are the epitome of failure. The Buffalo Bills with their 0-fers in the Super Bowls. How many Cups do the Sabres have again? Yet they throw it in our face and call us the joke of the NHL. Hilarious. Go win something or do something of significance before throwing stones in your glass houses.

Wow, I'm raging today. :laugh:

exactly PW...

We should be making moves to become a contender not give BUF a worse pick....

They have an "Islanders Tank" thread on their board..They post isles transaction and even our INJURYS...Karma is a you know what.

That thread is a joke, just like their team.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who cares about Buffalo? They are irrelevant and the joke of the NHL. They shamelessly have designs to tank so they can get the next shiny new prospect. Their fans have nothing to look forward to regarding their own team so they obsess over our team with the chance that they can get a good draft pick.

Let's be honest here if we owned somebody's draft pick we probably would be cheering for that team to suck. lol

Imagine how leaf fans felt when they traded draft picks for Kessel, for an entire year they had alot of people(even non Boston fans) gloating about how high that 2010 pick was going to be.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Let's be honest here if we owned somebody's draft pick we probably would be cheering for that team to suck. lol

There would be some of us that definitely would, but we'd at least show a modicum of class. I know I would at least, instead of being a complete ****** like several of their posters. F them, they are irrelevant.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
There would be some of us that definitely would, but we'd at least show a modicum of class. I know I would at least, instead of being a complete ****** like several of their posters. F them, they are irrelevant.

Yeah, I don't think we would make a tanking thread.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

This is like months and months of suppressed rage unleashing in non-Mod fury. :laugh: I love it.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK

/rant

This is like months and months of suppressed rage unleashing in non-Mod fury. :laugh: I love it.

And he's back! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2