Friedman: Islanders team most likely to make a move for a forward

member 88115

Against two of the bottom teams in the league. Do the Kings trust their season to basically a career backup, a guy who's never even started a playoff game?

Yes

WHY? Cause LA has one of the best defensive system in the league and a great goaltending coach in Randford

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wait wait wait. They signed PAP in the off-season, waive him, lose him to waivers, then send Barzal down to the WHL, and now are looking at acquiring a forward? Someone give Snow one of those fake Playskool phones so he can't make any more bad decisions.

PAP already with 5 goals this season. Snow messing up, he's in a weak bargaining position now.

A forward will cost him.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Nyquist for picks and or prospects. Time to get some more good prospects in Detroit with the loss of Dats and with Zetterberg and Kronwall etc declining.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Islanders are 10th in GF and 21st in GA.

Why would the Islanders focus on offense?

Probably because that offensive ranking is misleading due to the defense scoring at an unsustainable rate. The Isles forwards are actually producing very little so far, so Snow looking to add more punch up front makes perfect sense.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Islanders are 10th in GF and 21st in GA.

Why would the Islanders focus on offense?

That's more of an aberration because the defenseman have all contributed offensively. That won't continue. I bet if you took the numbers for GF for just the forwards the isles would be close to the bottom of the league.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Nyquist for picks and or prospects. Time to get some more good prospects in Detroit with the loss of Dats and with Zetterberg and Kronwall etc declining.

No way will Holland trade Nyquist or Tatar for picks/prospects. The only way i see Nyquist getting dealt is if it's Nyquist++ for a top 4 LHD/RHD Maybe like Nyquist+Mantha/Svechnikov+Detroit's 2nd round pick for say Shattenkirk @ 7 years $6.5 million or something like that if Shatty was to agree with an extension from Detroit.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To Minnesota- Strome

To Islanders- Granlund or Coyle

Coyle is an absolute non starter.

I'm less of a Granlund fan than most, but he is a useful second liner who plays a good two way game and is the best puck handler/passer on the team. Until Strome shows what kind of player he is, why bother?

Times have changed since two years ago when NYI fans were asking for Coyle, a 1st, and a Dman, and would laugh at any lesser offer.

In any event, the Wild need quality forwards. If a Dman and a Granlund can be traded for a legit young top 6 player with top line potential ( I.e. Reinhart)then they might do the deal, but Strome has regressed since is first year and isn't worth even one of those pieces, IMO.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
After seeing them live last night, I don't even think a top six forward would fix this team, so why bother giving up the assets to get one (if there is even one available?).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
They really need a new coaching staff first and foremost.

Either that, or new scouts. All the young guys don't see to be developing. Is the coaching staff, or are they just not very talented players?

mk21

Sep 20, 2015
Either that, or new scouts. All the young guys don't see to be developing. Is the coaching staff, or are they just not very talented players?

They all have only known one staff.....The logical first move would be to change the staff.

The problem is...a mid season change would probably promote an internal coach. If ownership has soured on Garth, and the plan is for him to go this summer, I dont think they want him hiring the coach of the future now.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

I think its telling that they all come into the league and have some immediate success, followed by stagnation/regression. Strome scored 50 points his rookie year. Lee put up 25 goals. Heck, Grabner put up 36 goals his rookie year with Capuano. Each player has regressed terribly since, although Grabner looks pretty good this year, a year removed from Capuano.

To me, that reeks of bad development rather than lack of talent. Strome has the talent to be a 50 point scorer. He has proven that.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
So far the media (one guy in a basement) and the GM are indicating that no changes will happen to the roster or the coaching staff. Maybe if we lose 30 in a row perhaps, but not until then.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They need an organizational cleanse. Garth Snow should have been fired years ago.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So far the media (one guy in a basement) and the GM are indicating that no changes will happen to the roster or the coaching staff. Maybe if we lose 30 in a row perhaps, but not until then.

Does Staple actually have sources/information other than what Snow tells him? Or is he essentially Snow's press release secretary?

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
After seeing them live last night, I don't even think a top six forward would fix this team, so why bother giving up the assets to get one (if there is even one available?).

The Isles looked bad on both ends and in goal. What happened to this team?
I suggest Isles need to shore up defense and PK before going for a forward.

They have offensive talent but since they made so many changes those new lines are not clicking for them. Ladd doesn't look like he fits in yet and they miss that forth line that was so good last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad