Friedman: Islanders team most likely to make a move for a forward

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
NYI sits one point above Carolina in the EC and Carolina has a game in hand.

I know Staple didn't necessarily mean it this way, but I always like it when he kind of covers both bases. :laugh:

If there's a trade, he can act like he was in the know with his "anything is possible" remark. If there isn't a trade, he's still right because he didn't say there was one, just that it's possible.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I should clarify. Boston is in Colorado tonight.

Isles rarely have scouts in Colorado. Curious to see if they'll be there again.

I think Isles and Avs are in talks.

While it wouldn't surprise me, I have to wonder if Duchene is the one ticketed for trade on your side. The problem I see is that pesky concussion he got. He's been having injury issues over the years, no? Imagine the egg on Garth's face if he becomes the next Grabovsky or Halak or Grabner or Visnovski or etc...

That said I would do it, but I would worry about it too. What do you guys need these days? We have a bunch of defensemen and lots of under performing semi-prospect forwards.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
While it wouldn't surprise me, I have to wonder if Duchene is the one ticketed for trade on your side. The problem I see is that pesky concussion he got. He's been having injury issues over the years, no? Imagine the egg on Garth's face if he becomes the next Grabovsky or Halak or Grabner or Visnovski or etc...

That said I would do it, but I would worry about it too. What do you guys need these days? We have a bunch of defensemen and lots of under performing semi-prospect forwards.

It isn't Duchene. The rumor out there is that they're looking elsewhere at the Avs roster and not at the forwards.

Also..Duchene hasn't exactly been plagued with injuries either. Duchene isn't likely to turn into any of those guys.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It isn't Duchene. The rumor out there is that they're looking elsewhere at the Avs roster and not at the forwards.

Also..Duchene hasn't exactly been plagued with injuries either. Duchene isn't likely to turn into any of those guys.

Not at the forwards? That is intriguing. Our defense may be banged up but it is better than our forwards. Do you have a source for your rumor?

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
If you're looking at the Avs..look at the position they're in..

They don't need less high end forwards, they need more. Another top 4 defender wouldn't hurt, and they're gonna be in a tough position with the expansion draft with having to protect Varly or Pickard. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the goalies were moved tbh.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
What's the deal with Colorado's goaltending? I had the impression that Pickard is the goalie of the future.

This past summer, I wondered in our Islander board if something around Halak + for Varlamov or Borbovsky would make sense. Halak would come in at 1.5M less and one year shorter in contract length. It would give Colorado a platoon with Pickard for two years.

Varlamov hopefully would be a bit more consistent for the next three years and offer a compelling veteran for Sorokin to learn from in the third year.

EDIT: the deal would be expanded to make salary and value equitable for both sides... I'm not going to try and figure that part out.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
If you're looking at the Avs..look at the position they're in..

They don't need less high end forwards, they need more. Another top 4 defender wouldn't hurt, and they're gonna be in a tough position with the expansion draft with having to protect Varly or Pickard. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the goalies were moved tbh.

Trading Halak+ for Varly could make sense, but that's not as fun as talking MacK :P

Based on what you're saying, couldn't it make sense to trade one of their 3 elite forwards for a lesser top 6 guy (i.e. Nelson) + a top pair dman (i.e. Hamonic)?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Avs and Isles are in a "we're both bad and maybe trading with each other would do something?" mood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad