Proposal: Islanders / Senators

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
To Senators: Boychuk, Komorov, 2021 1st round pick
  • Save $250k in salary in the first 2 years and then $9 in years 3 and 4.
  • Pay $2.75m in signing bonuses instead of $4m.
  • Acquire another 1st round pick.

To Islanders: Zaitsev, Chlapik
  • Save $4.5m in cap space to sign Barzal longterm.

Is this fair value?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Makes sense for the Sens, they get an asset out of taking shorter higher cap hit contracts.

However, I dont think the islanders like this. Having more short term cap which is nice but they get saddled with the longest contract of the trio.

Sens say yes, isles say no me thinks. But who knows.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Eh, pretty sure the 2021 1st is off the table. If by some chance LL did want to use it, it'd be to completely remove a lame duck salary with nothing in return. This is similar to another proposal centering around Boychuck and Zaitsev that Sens fans didn't really like as Islanders weren't giving up enough. This is giving up too much imo. I just don't think the Isles 1st is in play at all.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Makes sense for the Sens, they get an asset out of taking shorter higher cap hit contracts.

However, I dont think the islanders like this. Having more short term cap which is nice but they get saddled with the longest contract of the trio.

Sens say yes, isles say no me thinks. But who knows.

I guess that's fair. Only thing is the Isles have to make a move to be able to sign Barzal. Especially with the possibility of an offer sheet. I don't think the Isles have much bargaining power nor are teams lining up to take on contracts. I imagine if Boychuk or Ladd could be moved for a 1st round pick it would have already been done by now.

Eh, pretty sure the 2021 1st is off the table. If by some chance LL did want to use it, it'd be to completely remove a lame duck salary with nothing in return. This is similar to another proposal centering around Boychuck and Zaitsev that Sens fans didn't really like as Islanders weren't giving up enough. This is giving up too much imo. I just don't think the Isles 1st is in play at all.

Maybe the 1st can be changed to a 2021 2nd and a 2022 3rd? I don't imagine teams would take on two years of Boychuk for a late 1st round pick and if they would it would have happened already. Don't see why the Isles wouldnt be willing to give up a 1st when their window to compete is now.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I guess that's fair. Only thing is the Isles have to make a move to be able to sign Barzal. Especially with the possibility of an offer sheet. I don't think the Isles have much bargaining power nor are teams lining up to take on contracts. I imagine if Boychuk or Ladd could be moved for a 1st round pick it would have already been done by now.

Maybe the 1st can be changed to a 2021 2nd and a 2022 3rd? I don't imagine teams would take on two years of Boychuk for a late 1st round pick and if they would it would have happened already. Don't see why the Isles wouldnt be willing to give up a 1st when their window to compete is now.

Like it's been said in other threads, Boychuk's real paid money goes down by a lot in that last year. I don't think he's the one they'll move as in one more year it'll be super easy to dump his salary. It's guys like Ladd and Komarov that are going to be shipped out to free up salary.

People always think that things would have happened by now, but Lou has been quoted on multiple occasions that when he has time, he uses it. Any delay is normal operating procedure for LL. There's been rumors circulating that a retirement or LTIR is on the table, but they are just rumors. Pretty sure that everyone excepts it as fact that signing MB is of utmost importance. LL is gonna do that when he is ready. I'm sure he's got a plan he's sticking too. Again, I just don't think he's going to give up a first for any salary relief unless it becomes dire. He got those two seconds for Toews for a reason.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
To Senators: Boychuk, Komorov, 2021 1st round pick
  • Save $250k in salary in the first 2 years and then $9 in years 3 and 4.
  • Pay $2.75m in signing bonuses instead of $4m.
  • Acquire another 1st round pick.

To Islanders: Zaitsev, Chlapik
  • Save $4.5m in cap space to sign Barzal longterm.

Is this fair value?

As an Islanders fan if we trade a 1st, I don't want to take salary back. odds are if we can unload Boychuk we will sign Andy Greene who performed decently for us in the playoffs for like 2-2.5M. Also if I am dumping our first I try get rid of Ladd before Boychuk(although the general feeling is we might force Ladd to see Hossa's doctor)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Don't want to move salary, pay premium for it and then also take back long term salary. Why give up a first then?

Also there's a rumor that Ladd (or another person) is going on LTIR. This frees up the space. There would still need to be another move likely but Isles aren't in the worst spot if we can use that 5.5 on the shelf.

Marti, Greene and Schneider are just waiting. Likely Barzy is too. Then there's another rumor Brassard as well but I haven't been able to track that down, maybe Staple? Isles fans can help me out with that.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
No from me. Sens have an overflowing cupboard of prospects as it is. They are getting a worse D in return, and a forward who has no place on the roster, except to prevent a probably NHL-ready prospect from making the team.

The salary savings are not enough in yr 1/2 to justify it. If they need to find a taker for Zaitsev in yr 2 or 3 when their D roster looks better, they can find a similar deal to this at that time.

Ottawa should be looking for cap deals that make their current NHL roster better, not cap for picks.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
it would take a deal like this for ottawa to pull the trigger. That being said it makes more sense for the isles to pay a 2nd or multiple picks to dump komorov instead of trading a first. That cap space should allow the isles to extend barzal via bridge deal. Plus as mentioned earlier in the thread ottawa has too many prospects where we should be targeting talent instead of more picks

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I realize it's done now, but I would have done that original proposal and retained money on Zaitsev - and I like Zaitsev. That deal is too good to pass up IMO. A 1st is a 1st.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ya, now that Boychuk is retiring and/or going to be put on LTIR.
If the isles were attaching a 1st rounder to dump Boychuk, who was do a TOTAL of $5.25m over the next two seasons,I doubt they would take back a player due a total of $18m.

Boychuk 2 yrs/total of $5.25m
Komarov 2 yrs/total of $3.5m due

Zaitsev 4 yrs/total of $18m due

and the isles toss in a 1st too:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If the isles were attaching a 1st rounder to dump Boychuk, who was do a TOTAL of $5.25m over the next two seasons,I doubt they would take back a player due a total of $18m.

Dude, you know the proposal was to address cap hit so you could re-sign Barzal. Stop acting like it was for anything else.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Dude, you know the proposal was to address cap hit so you could re-sign Barzal. Stop acting like it was for anything else.

No cap dumping team, saving the other team $10m in actual cash, would also send a 1st.

It would be saving roughly $10m in cash for the Sens or adding another 1st rounder for the Sens.

Boychuk & Komarov: $8.5m in actual cash due for
Zaitsev : $18m in actual cash due.
Isles save $3.5m in cap space

or

Boychuk with a small amount retained for a 1st.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I'm not a Senators fan btw, but I doubt they touch Boychuk unless there's some incentive attached.

Anyhow, pointless debate at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad