Confirmed with Link: Islanders Re-Sign Mayfield

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Can anybody explain how Pulock became a beast in the playoffs? He played like a legitimate #1 dman while not playing anywhere near that level during the regular season. Was he pacing himself? Pulock has the tools to be really good and defenseman actually take longer to develop. I wonder if there's an extra gear with him.
Anyone can have a moment.

Reactions: Throttle

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
why 7 years.
he is 30. the cap hit is not bad but the length is bad

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
why 7 years.
he is 30. the cap hit is not bad but the length is bad
Don't love the term, but my guess is to give them more short term cap flexibility (which is tight as it is). A shorter term of 4 years or 5 at the most would have been ideal, but that would have likely been at least $4mil AAV and probably closer to $4.5 mil or so. If Mayfield declines as he gets towards the last couple years of the contact, that would obviously be rough, but with a likely considerably higher cap it wouldn't be as bad when looking through a similar contract with the current cap

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Strickland’s on his pod said the Mayfield deal has been done ‘for awhile’ but no one knew the terms and ‘when is this coming out?’

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
As I said recently, don't discount the possibility that Lou offers Mayfield a Cizikas-like deal for longer term/lower annual salary. Something like 7 or 8 years at under $4m per. Not saying Mayfield would sign, but it would be a Lou thing to do.

Maybe, but I would not be shocked to see Lou offer Mayfield something like 8 x $3.25M, give or take.
Since I'm wrong often enough, I went and found these posts in the trade rumors thread from last July and August when posters were suggesting Mayfield would walk for $5m a year. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Seph and JKP

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
No problem with 3.5 million for 7 years even at 30 years of age. I think at the same age Boychuk was signed for 7 years at 6 million per yr. Guys been a warrior for the Isles. Glad he's sticking around.

Reactions: eoin92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad