Confirmed with Link: Islanders Re-Sign Mayfield

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Gudas got 4m for 3 years. I personally think that Mayfield is at least a bit better than him. Mayfield taking one for the team if he gets 3.5m per is just a superstar. Especially after being underpaid for so long.

Oh, and kudos for Snow to sign him to such a great deal.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
This is a straight up over-pay and too much term.

4 years or even 5 years ok on term for this player.

In terms of dollar — not good. Paying a #5/#6 defender $3.5 mil is bad cap management no matter how good he may be at the PK. Bottom pair defenders shouldnt make more than $2 mil.
This will be great value as the cap goes up

Reactions: JKP and Lek

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

In terms of dollar — not good. Paying a #5/#6 defender $3.5 mil is bad cap management no matter how good he may be at the PK. Bottom pair defenders shouldnt make more than $2 mil.
Yeah, but how many 5/6 d-men are a +23 in 57 career playoff games? While drawing some major defensive minutes (20:07 average) and coverage?

Certainly not finding that readily at under 3.5m on any term.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Take a look around, Conor Clifton got 3.3, Schenn got 2.75, Erik Johnson got 3.25, Holl got 3.4 and Mayfield is much much better than all them

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Then you're likely looking at closer to a 5mil AAV. You add on the extra years at the end so you can pay the player enough to sign them in the early years of the deal and bring down the AAV by tacking on lower paying years at the end. Yes, it means you risk overpaying in AAV in the later years, but that's just the risk inherent to signing good players as UFA. Assuming the cap is notably higher in 5 years, he also will likely be movable by the time he starts slowing down.

Last edited:

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I don't love the term, love the dollars. By the time he will be declined enough for a buyout, cap should be much higher...should, Lou seems to be banking on that quite a bit for a few of these contracts.

Reactions: Seph

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

He’s a bottom pair defender that plays in all critical minutes of the game? For all the stat heads out there, funny that this one gets overlooked when King Barry and Lambert have both played him in the same exact situations.

Reactions: JKP

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Everyone says that, until there's an injury in the top 4. Then everyone's complaining that we have a bottom pairing dman in the top 4 for an extended period of time and how there wasn't a contingency plan for something that's pretty expected to happen. It's a long season. Having 5 guys that can play top 4 minutes is a huge benefit, and IMO, well worth the extra 1.5m.

Also worth noting, last year in the regular season Mayfield had the 2nd highest 5v5 TOI/game among defensemen -- only Pelech had more, and Pulock was only a few seconds lower than Mayfield. In the playoffs he was 3rd amongst defensemen for 5v5 TOI/game, behind both Pulock and Pelech. So, calling him a bottom pairing defender isn't really accurate anyway, based on his usage.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Everyone says that until there's an injury in the top 4. Then everyone's complaining that we have a bottom pairing dman in the top 4 for an extended period of time and how there wasn't a contingency plan for something that's pretty expected to happen.

It's a long season. Having 5 guys that can play top 4 minutes is a huge benefit, and IMO, well worth the extra 1.5m.
Or the magic word comes up: Toews.

Kinda like if Woody would have went to the police none of this would of ever happened…line of thinking.

Reactions: Seph

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Mayfield was second in ATOI last year behind Pelech

Reactions: JKP and Seph

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'm fine with it but was also ready to move on if Scotty got paid large by another team .

I think the d-core needs a dynamic puck mover or at least look into allowing Pulock to roam a bit more into the offensive zone with forwards covering his pinch or roam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This is the only signing where I am seeing other signings out there that would have been cheaper and for less years without a significant drop off in production and value.

I really hope Mayfield doesn’t trend downwards as fast as Cizikas did, I would love to see him cleanup his giveaways and take less penalties.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
He's only a 3rd pair defenseman because they have 4 guys better than him. When none of those are getting huge dollars, you can afford 3.5M for your number 5. Having a deep set of defensemen is a luxury, and they're doing it at an affordable total.

Reactions: JKP and Kevin27NYI

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
He’s a bottom pair defender that plays in all critical minutes of the game? For all the stat heads out there, funny that this one gets overlooked when King Barry and Lambert have both played him in the same exact situations.
I don't think the stat heads overlook this. Mayfield is not a true 3rd pair defenseman. He plays very tough minutes and plays them relatively well. Per usage, a guy like Dobson is a 3rd pair dman because he gets sheltered more. Mayfield is well liked by stat heads. This will be a good contract for the first half at least I think. Considering what other Dmen got in AAV, I prefer this. Guys like Mayfield are not easy to find. Not ideal, but it's the cost of doing business at this time. Letting him walk and signing an inferior player for more AAV (Schenn, Johnson, etc.) is not a better play.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm fine with it but was also ready to move on if Scotty got paid large by another team .

I think the d-core needs a dynamic puck mover or at least look into allowing Pulock to roam a bit more into the offensive zone with forwards covering his pinch or roam
Pulock’s issue is his wind up is glacial and his accuracy is Scott Norwood- like. Letting him roam ain’t changing that.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I don't think the stat heads overlook this. Mayfield is not a true 3rd pair defenseman. He plays very tough minutes and plays them relatively well. Per usage, a guy like Dobson is a 3rd pair dman because he gets sheltered more. Mayfield is well liked by stat heads. This will be a good contract for the first half at least I think. Considering what other Dmen got in AAV, I prefer this. Guys like Mayfield are not easy to find. Not ideal, but it's the cost of doing business at this time. Letting him walk and signing an inferior player for more AAV (Schenn, Johnson, etc.) is not a better play.
I don’t have an issue with Mayfield. Isles fans just jump all over him for needless stuff, yet the Barry and Lane play him in critical minutes. The fans counter in that they have no choice as there’s no other options, so that’s why he plays in them.

Essentially, the fans convince themselves they don’t like the player, project what should be there, then nitpick the crap out of him all the while the coaching staff sees what he is and uses him effectively.

King Barry just paid 3x over what Luke Schenn was getting paid - he wants a Mayfield on his team.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
Pulock’s issue is his wind up is glacial and his accuracy is Scott Norwood- like. Letting him roam ain’t changing that.
Can anybody explain how Pulock became a beast in the playoffs? He played like a legitimate #1 dman while not playing anywhere near that level during the regular season. Was he pacing himself? Pulock has the tools to be really good and defenseman actually take longer to develop. I wonder if there's an extra gear with him.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Can anybody explain how Pulock became a beast in the playoffs? He played like a legitimate #1 dman while not playing anywhere near that level during the regular season. Was he pacing himself? Pulock has the tools to be really good and defenseman actually take longer to develop. I wonder if there's an extra gear with him.
Seems like the team has realized his offensive flaws are actually a detriment and having him focus on his defensive game to reduce his pressure to perform on offense.

He also moved into taking more wristers or pushes towards the net, reducing his slap shot to minimal use - gotta think that’s on the coaching staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad