Injury Report: Islanders Injuries Part II

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Are there any metrics for softness? We should consult Charmin on behalf of deHaan.

CdH may be on the soft side, but at least he can complete a pass and handle the puck.

Is there any metric for sucking? Oh yeah, there are and guess who tops the list? :laugh:

I can play that game too. I actually take comfort in your predictability to play rope a dope with real questions. I guess you really are Capuano.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Good news that both Hamonic and de Haan will be healthy and ready to go next year.

Any word on Visnovsky? I am actually hoping he returns for 1 more season where he can give us 40 games and mentor the kids. If he retires, I would completely understand. Despite the agita when we first acquired him, he's been a good Islander and he deserves better than having to retire because of the concussions.

IMO, you are setting yourself up for failure hoping you get 40-50 games out of one of your top 6....injuries are bound to happen....lets try to keep them at a minimum....when you sign a guy, it should be for someone you expect to play at least 70 games

i love vis, but it is time to move on....for the isles and for his personal life

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
IMO, you are setting yourself up for failure hoping you get 40-50 games out of one of your top 6....injuries are bound to happen....lets try to keep them at a minimum....when you sign a guy, it should be for someone you expect to play at least 70 games

i love vis, but it is time to move on....for the isles and for his personal life

You're right, I just feel for the guy. Concussions have derailed his career because the guy can still play and has been a good soldier for us. I expect him to retire, just don't want it happening this way because of that cheap shot from Wilson.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
CdH may be on the soft side, but at least he can complete a pass and handle the puck.

Is there any metric for sucking? Oh yeah, there are and guess who tops the list? :laugh:

I can play that game too. I actually take comfort in your predictability to play rope a dope with real questions. I guess you really are Capuano.

deHaan is far from soft. He's a skilled player and the best first-pass on the team (well, maybe Leddy) and losing Visnovsky and deHaan KILLED the Isles transition game and made it impossible for the Isles to generate any offense in the neutral zone.

It's one thing to say that Donovan, Mayfield and Strait "played well" - i.e. they didn't hurt us with crippling mistakes or turnovers (though Strait had a couple of doozies that Halak bailed us out on) - but they didn't help the offense much at all. It was Hickey's rush and pass to Frans that led to the only goal (a softie) and one of the few times the Isles gained the zone and made a play, generating a scoring chance.

There aren't many big/tough defensemen that can ALSO skate and make a pass. Those are typically called "Pronger" or "Doughty" or "Subban". The Isles desperately missed Hamonic and while they can compensate for a short time, losing BOTH Visnovsky and deHaan made the offense essentially zero. Puck possession went away completely, playing right into the hands of the Caps, to their strengths.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
deHaan is far from soft. He's a skilled player and the best first-pass on the team (well, maybe Leddy) and losing Visnovsky and deHaan KILLED the Isles transition game and made it impossible for the Isles to generate any offense in the neutral zone.

It's one thing to say that Donovan, Mayfield and Strait "played well" - i.e. they didn't hurt us with crippling mistakes or turnovers (though Strait had a couple of doozies that Halak bailed us out on) - but they didn't help the offense much at all. It was Hickey's rush and pass to Frans that led to the only goal (a softie) and one of the few times the Isles gained the zone and made a play, generating a scoring chance.

There aren't many big/tough defensemen that can ALSO skate and make a pass. Those are typically called "Pronger" or "Doughty" or "Subban". The Isles desperately missed Hamonic and while they can compensate for a short time, losing BOTH Visnovsky and deHaan made the offense essentially zero. Puck possession went away completely, playing right into the hands of the Caps, to their strengths.

This is spot on. I think that Donovan and to a lesser extent Mayfield have the ability to be good puck movers and contribute to the offense, but seeing as they were a pair of inexperienced 24 year olds playing in elimination games against one of the best offenses in the league, I can't imagine the coaching staff would want them to be anything other than cautious. They performed admirably in that conservative role; it was about as much as you could expect from them in that situation. I think given regular season playing time and less dire circumstances, both guys could really thrive in a more aggressive system.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
You're right, I just feel for the guy. Concussions have derailed his career because the guy can still play and has been a good soldier for us. I expect him to retire, just don't want it happening this way because of that cheap shot from Wilson.

Cap fans think we dressed a goon squad for the playoffs? I'd bring up the real goon squad of Gallant, Boulton, and Carkner to send a message to good ol Wilson and Ovi. Vis retires because of that we don't forget that.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
That DeHaan injury does not sound too bad, who else thinks if that injury happened to Hamonic or Boychuk they'd have played the next 2 games injured? I sure think so. It sounds to me the combination of his play and the injury ultimately led to him being sat there.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

People have been roasting deHaan all season. I call it short term memory loss. IMO next season, assuming he isn't on some poison pill list, he will turn the mood back in his favor particularly if the coach, whoever that turns out to be, uses him more to his strengths.

Red, have you been overly pleased with his use by Cappy this year?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
cheap shot? de haan was admiring his pass in the most physical series the nhl offered in round one. not a good series to NOT expect a hit.

Absolutely agree. That was textbook "admiring the pass." One could argue the hit was late, but it is still inexcusable for a player to not prepare for the hit in that instance. It's like a pedestrian with the right away walking out into a speeding car... sure the car was in the wrong hitting you, but that doesn't mean much when you're splattered all over the floor.

With that said, I don't want people to think I am piling it on de Haan. I was actually a huge fan of his coming into this year and hoped for something closer to Leddy's play. I'm hoping this year was more of a sophomore slump.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
People have been roasting deHaan all season. I call it short term memory loss. IMO next season, assuming he isn't on some poison pill list, he will turn the mood back in his favor particularly if the coach, whoever that turns out to be, uses him more to his strengths.

Red, have you been overly pleased with his use by Cappy this year?

I think deHaan stagnated or even regressed this year. I can speculate that it was overthinking or over coaching or in an attempt to simplify his game and be more physical he lost his game. He didn't carry the ouch as much and didn't attempt to join the rush, develop his offense at the NHL level.

Of course, adding Boychuk and Leddy has a lot to do with that, as did the emergence of Hamonic.

Tough to blame just Capuano because there were a lot of factors. What bothered me most is that I felt deHaan turned away from what got him to the NHL.

I believe players (and teams) need to play to their strengths rather than try and alter their games to accommodate a roster need or matchup. But this is also speculative.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
That DeHaan injury does not sound too bad, who else thinks if that injury happened to Hamonic or Boychuk they'd have played the next 2 games injured? I sure think so. It sounds to me the combination of his play and the injury ultimately led to him being sat there.

I doubt it. An everyday play could have messed his shoulder up bad.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Absolutely agree. That was textbook "admiring the pass." One could argue the hit was late, but it is still inexcusable for a player to not prepare for the hit in that instance. It's like a pedestrian with the right away walking out into a speeding car... sure the car was in the wrong hitting you, but that doesn't mean much when you're splattered all over the floor.

With that said, I don't want people to think I am piling it on de Haan. I was actually a huge fan of his coming into this year and hoped for something closer to Leddy's play. I'm hoping this year was more of a sophomore slump.

Plus, we have the co-champions of borderline late hitters in Martin and Clutterbuck on our team so I don't think we can get too upset over another team delivering a quasi-late check.

I'm not saying they're dirty, but a lot of their hits come squarely after the puck is already gone. Its just the way it is in hard-nosed hockey.

It was a late hit, but CdH needs to have his head on a swivel, especially in that series.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Hammer and Boychuk would have played with that injury in the playoffs. No doubt in my mind at all!

D2Dpass

Sep 30, 2008
Hammer and Boychuk would have played with that injury in the playoffs. No doubt in my mind at all!

This statement has to be the most ridculous things posted! You dont know Hammer, Boychuk or de Haan! You have no idea at all if any of them could have or would have been able to play with this injury!

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
This statement has to be the most ridculous things posted! You dont know Hammer, Boychuk or de Haan! You have no idea at all if any of them could have or would have been able to play with this injury!
I've had that injury. Sure it's painful but you can play with it, esp in an all important playoff series. But it really didn't matter anyway. Donovan and Mayfield played fine in his place. The guys on the back end we missed the most were Hammer and Vis.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i don't think deHaan is soft at all. i consider him the 3rd hardest hitting D, behind Manchuk and Hammer. IMO, his fall from grace had to do more with being panicky. i believe that he will bounce back next year.

i also think that Brouwer hit was cheap. it's one thing to hit a guy a bit late, if he sees you coming, but he blindsided Calvin. refereeing was awful.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Does it make anyone else slightly even more depressed knowing over the past two days that we likely would have got all three injured d-men back at some point in the second round? CDH probably by Game 2 or 3, Lubo possibly in one of the first few games and most importantly, Hammer by a possible Game 6 or 7?

I really think we could have given the Rags a run for their money if we gradually got all of those guys back and we stole an early game or two in the series.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
Does it make anyone else slightly even more depressed knowing over the past two days that we likely would have got all three injured d-men back at some point in the second round? CDH probably by Game 2 or 3, Lubo possibly in one of the first few games and most importantly, Hammer by a possible Game 6 or 7?

I really think we could have given the Rags a run for their money if we gradually got all of those guys back and we stole an early game or two in the series.

Yup, definitely. And if we had all of them back by the end of the round we'd have a legitimate chance of winning the next two rounds. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad