Injury Report: Islanders Injuries (Latest: Grabo to IR, the Mallrat called up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

What is the benchmark for going on a road trip? If a player is not going to play, he won't travel? Does Bailey making the trip mean that he will possibly be playing at some point on the road trip? If he is in line for a chance to play on the upcoming roadtrip, that would mean he'd only be out 2 weeks or so - not a lot of time for a broken bone to heal.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I have no idea what's wrong with Hamonic (shoulder? ribs?). Taking a step back, it's absolutely fascinating how a NY team has gotten away for so long with being the most secretive team in pro sports. Maybe that will change if there's increased media attention after the move to Brooklyn.

Last year, it seemed like Visnovsky could come back any day. Then he disappeared. It's not his fault, but it's incredibly not-fan-friendly on the part of the organization.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I have no idea what's wrong with Hamonic (shoulder? ribs?). Taking a step back, it's absolutely fascinating how a NY team has gotten away for so long with being the most secretive team in pro sports. Maybe that will change if there's increased media attention after the move to Brooklyn.

Last year, it seemed like Visnovsky could come back any day. Then he disappeared. It's not his fault, but it's incredibly not-fan-friendly on the part of the organization.
Why do the fans have to be previ to exactly what the injury is? The reason they don't like to give the exact nature of the injury is that players injury could be targeted on his return to the lineup. Many teams in all sports treat injuries in the same manner, only give out what info is required by the league.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What is the benchmark for going on a road trip? If a player is not going to play, he won't travel? Does Bailey making the trip mean that he will possibly be playing at some point on the road trip? If he is in line for a chance to play on the upcoming roadtrip, that would mean he'd only be out 2 weeks or so - not a lot of time for a broken bone to heal.

Yeah, that's exactly it. If players are going to be out a long time, they don't travel with the team. They only go on the trip if there is a chance they'll play during it.

Grabner hasn't been with the team most likely, due to his time being out. Hamonic, being day to day (it seems), would likely make every trip. The fact that both Bailey and Hamonic are likely going to make the trip, that's really good news for the team in the injury department.

I'd also think that Bailey didn't fracture his hand if he's coming back this early. Or maybe it's not a bad break and he can play with it? I played hockey for 6 months with a broken wrist, so it's possible (it was the dumbest thing I've ever done though).

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Why do the fans have to be previ to exactly what the injury is? The reason they don't like to give the exact nature of the injury is that players injury could be targeted on his return to the lineup. Many teams in all sports treat injuries in the same manner, only give out what info is required by the league.

this really isn't true, at least not during the beginning/middle of the regular season. the Isles are the only pro sports team I know that's this secretive (Belichick and his miserable disciples come close, but the NFL has mandatory injury reporting rules).

We don't need to be privy to everything, but we are entitled to basic information, like estimated duration. Yeah, we don't "need" to know if a guy will be out for one week or ten, but it saves us a lot of pointless speculation/hope. It's a minimal degree of basic courtesy to the fans that pretty much every pro sports franchise other than the Islanders manages to meet.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
We will be fine against WP without Hamonic and Bailey, but other then that the next couple of games are really tough having them back for those games will matter. Ecstatic to find out Bailey is ok

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
this really isn't true, at least not during the beginning/middle of the regular season. the Isles are the only pro sports team I know that's this secretive (Belichick and his miserable disciples come close, but the NFL has mandatory injury reporting rules).

We don't need to be privy to everything, but we are entitled to basic information, like estimated duration. Yeah, we don't "need" to know if a guy will be out for one week or ten, but it saves us a lot of pointless speculation/hope. It's a minimal degree of basic courtesy to the fans that pretty much every pro sports franchise other than the Islanders manages to meet.
If it doesn't help the team then I see no reason why they need to share that info with the fans. Hammer has an upper body injury and is day to day, what more do fans have to know?

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
If it doesn't help the team then I see no reason why they need to share that info with the fans. Hammer has an upper body injury and is day to day, what more do fans have to know?

I want to know an approximate estimate of when he's returning. Again, I don't understand how this is controversial -- literally every other non-Islanders pro-sports team releases this information as a matter of course. And this extends beyond injuries -- of the other ~120 something North American pro sports teams out there, I think we're the only one for whom the basic contract details (length, approximate value) of our head coach's/GM's contracts are utterly unknown.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I want to know an approximate estimate of when he's returning. Again, I don't understand how this is controversial -- literally every other non-Islanders pro-sports team releases this information as a matter of course. And this extends beyond injuries -- of the other ~120 something North American pro sports teams out there, I think we're the only one for whom the basic contract details (length, approximate value) of our head coach's/GM's contracts are utterly unknown.
What don't you understand about "day to day"? :help: They are not require to give out coaches contract info. That is also not something that fans need to know. I know many fans would like to know this info but it's not required so why give it out. I don't understand why fans think that they have a right to this private information

Last edited:

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
What don't you understand about "day to day"? :help:

Visnovsky was day to day basically all last season. Grabner was day to day until it leaked via Andy Strickland that he just had surgury.

I'm not making this stuff up. Maybe you're not bothered by the secrecy, but I don't think I'm weird for being bothered by the fact that we're the only team that (1) never releases injury info and (2) never releases front office/coaching staff contract info. Couple that with Wang's/Snow's freakouts over semi-objective coverage (Billy Jaffe, Chris Botta), and it all makes this organization come off as Mickey Mouse.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Visnovsky was day to day basically all last season. Grabner was day to day until it leaked via Andy Strickland that he just had surgury.

I'm not making this stuff up. Maybe you're not bothered by the secrecy, but I don't think I'm weird for being bothered by the fact that we're the only team that (1) never releases injury info and (2) never releases front office/coaching staff contract info. Couple that with Wang's/Snow's freakouts over semi-objective coverage (Billy Jaffe, Chris Botta), and it all makes this organization come off as Mickey Mouse.
Their policy is on a "need to know" basis. I guess they feel that we don't need to know this stuff. I really don't think we need to know some of this stuff either. What we know or don't know has no direct bearing on how the team performs.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Their policy is on a "need to know" basis. I guess they feel that we don't need to know this stuff. I really don't think we need to know some of this stuff either. What we know or don't know has no direct bearing on how the team performs.

Me watching the games has no bearing on how the team performs either, but I'm a fan who is interested in the team.

What you are ignoring is the point that every other team does it one way, and we do it another way. If we were the Detroit Red Wings, great. Maybe they're on to something. But when you are one of the worst franchises in sports over a two decade period and you do something completely against the grain compared to every other team, it will raise eyebrows.

Of course it has no bearing on anything. That's not the point. Would you care if they stopped televising games? It wouldn't affect how the team performs.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Is the Islander approach much different than other hockey teams? I really have no idea how other hockey teams approach the info they give out on injuries as I don't follow them all that closely.

As you suggest, the NFL has mandatory reporting rules and many teams, most notably the Patriots, do the absolute minimum under those rules.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Pretty sure that some of you just want to argue about something, doesn't even matter what it is.

I don't think the non-disclosure of the injury has anything do to with other teams taking a run at the guy --- targeting the area -- I think its a rare instance where someone would do that.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Can't wait until Hamonic gets back. I just want Strait to go away
Never thought I'd be missing Bailey either
When is Grabner due back? Like mid hell-month?

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
We have a chance! Pushing Strait out of the line up is huge IMO. I feel good about our chances tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad