GDT: Islanders @ Flames, 7MT/9PM EST SNW, "Young Guns" Edition

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Honestly, I'm not worried about worsening our pick. Winning with the kids carrying us is way more beneficial longterm than getting Sam Bennett over Dal Colle.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Couple Game Notes:

They need to make that jersey the home and have a white version of it for the away. So nice.

Anyone have a clip of that Bouma hit? One of the nicest, big, clean hits I've seen in awhile, looked like something out of NHL 14. Loved that there was no scrum or anything after it, just a solid hit that allowed the play to continue. The NHL needs more of that.

Watching this game, and just games of late, is really getting me excited for the future. We seem to possibly have something with our group of rookies. Not saying they're making the playoffs next year, but it's going to be fun down the line. Colborne with 2 goals, looking better every game. Monahan, most likely a 20 goal scorer already, Ortio looking good (albeit in 3 starts, but still) , Granlund with points, Wotherspoon with a solid debut. We might not be in the best spot right now, but we're going to get there I think.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Honestly, I'm not worried about worsening our pick. Winning with the kids carrying us is way more beneficial longterm than getting Sam Bennett over Dal Colle.

Good scouting >>> draft position.

Look at Dallas, who just got Seguin (2nd OA pick). They could make that trade because they drafted guys like Loui Eriksson and Reilly Smith.

Anaheim won their Cup with Geltzlaf and Perry, and trading for Niedermayer and Pronger. They could trade for those guys, because they had abundant assets do to their great drafting.

That's the real key to success.

Not to mention, Monahan has been amazing for us, and we got him 6th OA. We're gonna get a great player regardless. We don't have to cheer on us losing.

May 27, 2012
Earth
All season all I see you posting is "I hope the flames lose" and "Go <opposing team> Go!" Now you're not even watching the game. It's confusing brah.

I have only said that a few times lol. I also have watched 95% of the games. It is also harder for me since I am in the EST zone. I can decide whenever I can watch games or not.

Sep 12, 2012
That 3rd was amazing!
I think Ragin should stop watching Flames games altogether. :sarcasm:
It's like an anti-jinx.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Good problem to have, but I wonder what happens with our center situation next year. Monahan, Stajan, Backlund, and Granlund all capable top-9 centers. Granlund has clearly proven he is NHL ready with his great season in Abby also a solid NHL showing (although, only 5 games).

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Good problem to have, but I wonder what happens with our center situation next year. Monahan, Stajan, Backlund, and Granlund all capable top-9 centers. Granlund has clearly proven he is NHL ready with his great season in Abby also a solid NHL showing (although, only 5 games).

It's between Stajan and Backlund. With Stajan's new baby and his new contract, I think Backlund is the odd man out unfortunately.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Great game by the team; good on Ortio after a couple not so great goals to stand tall and give his team a chance to come back.

Only disappointment was after the game when they wouldn't let Cammy keep his #13 Nieuwendyk Jersey

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Good scouting >>> draft position.

Look at Dallas, who just got Seguin (2nd OA pick). They could make that trade because they drafted guys like Loui Eriksson and Reilly Smith.

Anaheim won their Cup with Geltzlaf and Perry, and trading for Niedermayer and Pronger. They could trade for those guys, because they had abundant assets do to their great drafting.

That's the real key to success.

Not to mention, Monahan has been amazing for us, and we got him 6th OA. We're gonna get a great player regardless. We don't have to cheer on us losing.

Why not have both great scouting and good draft position? Also, while Monahan has been good, wouldn't you rather McKinnon?

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
It's between Stajan and Backlund. With Stajan's new baby and his new contract, I think Backlund is the odd man out unfortunately.

Not going to happen. There's no such thing as too much help at centre. There will be injuries. Guys will struggle. No chance they trade Backlund or Stajan unless there is some serious top-6 emergence from Granlund next year and either Backlund or Stajan falls off.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
A better question would be if this is next season, and we have a legit shot at McDavid. Would it make a difference then? Personally, I think this season is far more important in terms of getting a better draft position because its such a weak draft that the 1st overall pick is on a whole new tier of talent over the 5th overall.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Not going to happen. There's no such thing as too much help at centre. There will be injuries. Guys will struggle. No chance they trade Backlund or Stajan unless there is some serious top-6 emergence from Granlund next year and either Backlund or Stajan falls off.

Yeah. Stajan and Backlund are seasoned centremen, whereas Granlund could be changed to the wing with no problem. He's probably a better fit there long term anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad