GDT: Islanders @ Flames, 7MT/9PM EST SNW, "Young Guns" Edition

May 27, 2012
Earth
Game time 9 PM est/7PM MT/2 AM GMT on the only channel I know of is Sportsnet West.

Projected Lineup:
Projected lines from Pat Steinberg.Roger Millions:

LEFT WING​
|
CENTRE​
|
RIGHT WING​
cammy.jpg
|
backlund.jpg
|
bouma.jpg
CIKE MAMMALLERI​
|
BIKAEL MACKLUND​
|
BANCE LOUMA​
galiardi.jpg
|
monahan.jpg
|
colborne.jpg
GJ TALIARDI​
|
MEAN SONAHAN​
|
COE JOLBORNE​
owski.jpg
|
granlund.jpg
|
reinhart.jpg
BAUL PYRON​
|
GARKUS MANLUND​
|
RAX MEINHART​
hanowski.jpg
|
knight.jpg
|
mcgrattan.jpg
HEN BANOWSKI​
|
KORBAN CNIGHT​
|
MRIAN BCGRATTAN​

LEFT DEFENCE​
|
RIGHT DEFENCE​
giordano.jpg
|
brodie.jpg
GARK MIORDANO​
|
BJ TRODIE​
russell.jpg
|
butler.jpg
RRIS KUSSELL​
|
BHRIS CUTLER​
wotherspoon.jpg
|
smid.jpg
WYLER TOTHERSPOON​
|
SADISLAV LMID​

STARTING GOALIE​
|
BACKUP GOALIE​
owski.jpg
|
macdonald.jpg
OONI JRTIO​
|
MOEY JACDONALD​

young-guns.jpg

burkehead_zps27789384.png

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I have an idea for a GDT. I will edit this later tonight or whenever I get back home.

Yeah you need to edit!

I should just ban you for setting the bar so high. I mean for the love of god, how can anyone ever top this?!

Not cool man. Not cool at all.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Does the ****tiness of other teams annoy anyone else? It bugs the **** out of me that no matter how bad the Flames are, there are always teams that are worse.

How the hell are Buffalo, New York, and Edmonton this bad? Buffalo had Miller in net for most of the season FFS.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Does the ****tiness of other teams annoy anyone else? It bugs the **** out of me that no matter how bad the Flames are, there are always teams that are worse.

How the hell are Buffalo, New York, and Edmonton this bad? Buffalo had Miller in net for most of the season FFS.

I agree. I don't like whining but seriously. New York and Edmonton have had way more years to rebuild than us. Now that it's finally our turn to suck, they still suck more and are getting better draft picks than us. Even though they have way better rosters already.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Had to take NYI in the poll no Tavares or Vanek and even with those guys in the line-up they were not exactly a better team than Calgary.

At least we get to pick top 5 this year I don't think Nashville or Carolina can blow their entire 9&10 point lead on us post deadline.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
At least we get to pick top 5 this year I don't think Nashville or Carolina can blow their entire 9&10 point lead on us post deadline.

That's exactly what they did last year though. I don't really even mind this year, just want to see the kids kick as much butt as they can in the remaining games, draft position be damned. And unless we're top 3 I think Burkie is picking Virtanen anyway.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
That's exactly what they did last year though. I don't really even mind this year, just want to see the kids kick as much butt as they can in the remaining games, draft position be damned. And unless we're top 3 I think Burkie is picking Virtanen anyway.

That's probably the best way to look at it. We can only win games now on the backs of Ortio, Backlund, Brodie, Money, Reinhart, Granlund so if we climb in the standings it's not hurting us in the long run.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
That's probably the best way to look at it. We can only win games now on the backs of Ortio, Backlund, Brodie, Money, Reinhart, Granlund so if we climb in the standings it's not hurting us in the long run.

We did the same thing last season. These kids won't be able to this for 82 games. Its the excitment of the moment. This line-up will be a basement dwelling team for an entire regular season, who are we kidding.

Is it good that they're playing with passion? Yes, I think so. But we lack high end guys that only come from picking top 3 draft picks. What we don't need is a top 10 pick that's a project and then eventually busts.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We did the same thing last season. These kids won't be able to this for 82 games. Its the excitment of the moment. This line-up will be a basement dwelling team for an entire regular season, who are we kidding.

Is it good that they're playing with passion? Yes, I think so. But we lack high end guys that only come from picking top 3 draft picks. What we don't need is a top 10 pick that's a project and then eventually busts.

With 20ish games this year + and offseason they should be able to play about half way before we notice them fall off (unless we get major injuries) which I am totally fine with for next season. You don't need top 3 picks to get top end skill that is a huge myth what we need is good scouting and development more than anything.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

How many top 3 picks have Detroit had in the past 20 years?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
With 20ish games this year + and offseason they should be able to play about half way before we notice them fall off (unless we get major injuries) which I am totally fine with for next season. You don't need top 3 picks to get top end skill that is a huge myth what we need is good scouting and development more than anything.

Its not a myth. Statistically, a top 5 pick WILL provide a better, longer lasting NHLer. Are there deviations from the norm? Yes, but Brian Burke himself said the draft is a crapshoot and that he doesn't have an eye for talent.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
How many top 3 picks have Detroit had in the past 20 years?

The Bruins have none on their team, Philly only has Vinny, LA has 1, SJ has 1 who they drafted when the team started :laugh:

Most top teams have 1 or 2 top 3 pick but many aren't from their own drafts, what they all have in common is being able to make non top 5 or non top 10 picks into real players which is what we need to do.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
How many of Detroit's first rounders became league leaders?

Does not matter. You said that you need top-3 picks to get top-end talent, but Detroit have lots of top-end talent without any top-3 picks.

EDIT: But, for the sake of argument, Niklas Kronwall was a first rounder.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Does not matter. You said that you need top-3 picks to get top-end talent, but Detroit have lots of top-end talent without any top-3 picks.

If first rounders don't matter, then why shouldn't Detroit trade away all their first round picks. Detroit has been lucky with their later rounds. They don't need top 3, but they aren't exactly sitting pretty in the standings right now, are they?

And when they haven't been able to fill holes in their roster with picks, they do it with trades and free agents.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Bruins have none on their team, Philly only has Vinny, LA has 1, SJ has 1 who they drafted when the team started :laugh:

Most top teams have 1 or 2 top 3 pick but many aren't from their own drafts, what they all have in common is being able to make non top 5 or non top 10 picks into real players which is what we need to do.

I'd rather put my trust in a statiscally sound technique over someone who said its a gamble and has no eye for talent.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Its not a myth. Statistically, a top 5 pick WILL provide a better, longer lasting NHLer. Are there deviations from the norm? Yes, but Brian Burke himself said the draft is a crapshoot and that he doesn't have an eye for talent.

You said top 3 and while it is more likely that they work out to being stars you do not NEED one like you so incorrectly implied.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If first rounders don't matter, then why shouldn't Detroit trade away all their first round picks. Detroit has been lucky with their later rounds. They don't need top 3, but they aren't exactly sitting pretty in the standings right now, are they?

And when they haven't been able to fill holes in their roster with picks, they do it with trades and free agents.

Again, though, you stated one thing, but you're arguing a different point entirely. Top-3 picks are a more reliable way to obtain elite talent in the NHL, but that wasn't the point you stated. You said they were a necessity. Nothing in the above quote justifies that statement.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'd rather put my trust in a statiscally sound technique over someone who said its a gamble and has no eye for talent.

WTF are you even trying to say? Just because top 3 picks are more likely to work out does not mean every top team has one so then it is not as important to have a top 3 pick as just general good scouting and development.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00