Speculation: Islanders & Ducks talking trade?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If Anaheim is looking for a LW but doesn't want to pay the top end price for Skinner or Pacioretty I could see the Islanders trading him to free up cash that they can use to get a legit 3rd line center

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
That's not happening either. Lets not get silly.

So, since Brock Nelson is the likeliest to be dealt... you guys have any interest?

In general we do need scoring, so in that regard Nelson is a fit, but when you dig deeper I really don't think he solves our biggest issues. We need to become more dangerous in transition and off the rush, really need a dynamic type with high end ability to gain the zone with possession. The team relies way too much on getting pucks deep, trying to create turnovers and using extensive zone time to wear down the opponent and create chances.

Isles fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't feel like I'm describing what Nelson brings to the table.

Reactions: Macch

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
In general we do need scoring, so in that regard Nelson is a fit, but when you dig deeper I really don't think he solves our biggest issues. We need to become more dangerous in transition and off the rush, really need a dynamic type with high end ability to gain the zone with possession. The team relies way too much on getting pucks deep, trying to create turnovers and using extensive zone time to wear down the opponent and create chances.

Isles fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't feel like I'm describing what Nelson brings to the table.

Agreed with everything you said about Nelson. He’s almost a lock for 20 goals and will probably be cheaper than tbe player you’re describing above.

Not saying he’s the Duck’s plan A but would be a good plan B

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Nothing really stands out in Nelson's game except his shot, which is legit. Slow release so he needs time to let it go, on the rush coming off his off wing and cutting to the middle... pretty money, can beat goalies 1-on-1. Nelson is a decent skater, has great range due to his length. Miscast as a center, but he can do the job. Better as a LW, he's kind of a tweener. When he plays with talent, he responds. He can't carry a line obviously, but he's money for 20 goals a season.

Isles fans hate him because he doesn't throw his weight around. He's not very demonstrative so he's called soft and called girl's names.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Gaining the zone? No. He’s better utilized as the player you pass to in the high slot after the zone is gained. He has a tremendous wrist shot that can beat goalies unobstructed and from distance.

EDIT: see PWJunior comments above.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Thanks guys. Sort of sounds like a less physical version of what we're hoping Ritchie can become. I'm not sure that's the type of player the Ducks should be looking at.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Thanks guys. Sort of sounds like a less physical version of what we're hoping Ritchie can become. I'm not sure that's the type of player the Ducks should be looking at.

Less physical, we could only wish Nelson was physical. The general joke on the Islanders boards is Brock is a 6'3" guy who plays like he is 5'10"

To me Nelson is a guy who is playing Center but should be playing left wing and in the right situation I do believe he has 30+ goals in him(ie a center who can get him pucks)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad