Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Capitals Game 2 7pm 4/17/15 [MOD NOTE IN #102]

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Brouwer went to the net and had a hand in a goal.

He only recorded three hits though. He does that without trying all regular season long.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
And that, folks, is a heavy game doing it's thing. It's not necessarily the bone-jarring hits. It's using your superior strength to dominate the boards and cycle them into submission.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wow watching that Leddy TO again. He tried to pass it straight up the slot from behind the net! Chimera made him pay.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
And that, folks, is a heavy game doing it's thing. It's not necessarily the bone-jarring hits. It's using your superior strength to dominate the boards and cycle them into submission.

Fair point, but I think the play of the game was Leddy likely tired of being hit. His impressively horrible turnover may easiest be explained by our 59 hits.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They need to hit them early and often.

It almost totally threw NY of their game once the hitting picked up.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Is there any data out there that shows which players are being hit?

Fred Flintstone should have unleashed Buttercup and Martin after Green much more than he did. Green had a shaky first period but bounced back.... or they let the foot off his neck perhaps. It seemed they may have turtled a bit.

From what I read, Halak needs that help later in games.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Just got back and watched the highlights of the game. Looks like from the second period on, the Caps just battered them into submission. Also, FINALLY, great to see Backstrom score. We all saw that he could do, almost at will, during his early years with the Caps, he needs to get back to that because he is so utterly dangerous and adds an entirely new dimension to the Caps offence. Hopefully we get Holtby back for Game 3.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Caps just played harder this game.

In Game 1, when teams were equally lacking in real intensity, Isles' speed easily matched Caps' heaviness. We'll see how it stacks up as the series ramps up.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Caps just played harder this game.

In Game 1, when teams were equally lacking in real intensity, Isles' speed easily matched Caps' heaviness. We'll see how it stacks up as the series ramps up.

When going full speed towards the middle of the ice/rushing into zones/to the boards/etc, getting hit 59 times like the got hit tonight will slow a team down. There will be more looking over their shoulders, I'm sure... :D

If we keep the series even after NY, we should have had them wore down and then can dominate end of series. It'd be nice to win a series in 5 or so games, but this team is more built for wearing teams down/playing heavy/and wearing a team out.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
When the Islanders are playing with speed, it negates the Caps' "heaviness." The Islanders were aggressive on the forecheck in game one, and the Caps couldn't break out. Once the Islanders started sitting back more tonight, the Caps could get a structured breakout going and attack the Islanders' zone. If the breakout works, then the transition game works, then they can establish the cycle in the offensize zone and use their "heaviness." When the breakout doesn't work, the the Capitals are on the back foot and spend the game chasing around their own zone.

The Capitals need to make sure they can neutralize the Islanders' forecheck early with smart play, clean passing, and good structure.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is there any data out there that shows which players are being hit?
17 Martin 7
14 Hickey 7
21 Okposo 6
55 Boychuk 6
53 Cizikas 5
27 Lee 5
51 Nielsen 4
18 Strome 4
11 Visnovsky 3
12 Bailey 3
37 Strait 2
29 Nelson 2
44 de Haan 2
15 Clutterbuck 2
91 Tavares 1
2 Leddy 0
40 Grabner 0
86 Kulemin 0

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Anyone notice Trotz playing the top 2 lines quite frequently in the last 5 mins. Finally he realized that they need to keep the foot on the pedal. Ovi was even on with 2 mins left.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
When going full speed towards the middle of the ice/rushing into zones/to the boards/etc, getting hit 59 times like the got hit tonight will slow a team down. There will be more looking over their shoulders, I'm sure... :D

If we keep the series even after NY, we should have had them wore down and then can dominate end of series. It'd be nice to win a series in 5 or so games, but this team is more built for wearing teams down/playing heavy/and wearing a team out.

I think an Isles fan summed it pretty well.

Isles have smaller, mobile players, like especially on the D, compared to the Caps. If they can keep the pedal to the metal and disrupt the Caps through the forecheck, that's how they shield those guys. When they play more passive and/or Caps manage to win the breakout/transition game, that's when the Caps can wear down the Isles in the offensive zone, which then creates more problems for the Isles.

So yeah, it seems to come down to whether the Isles' forecheck can prevent the Caps from getting zone time.

I really don't know, I think we've yet to see both teams at their best.

But it's probable that any time the Isles lose that battle, the Caps' "heaviness" starts having a cumulative effect, perhaps shifting the odds of later games in their favor. I don't think it's a decisive factor, especially in a first-round series, but an added bonus after a game like today.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Great response by the Caps. Especially that killer goal to go down 3-1, they came up big clawing their way back into the game.

Now looks like the series really is a clean sheet. Game 1 was just a gift to the Isles, Game 2 the Caps were eventually able to shift into a real playoff gear, while the Isles couldn't -- probably because their leads came too easy, they were in "academic" mode, which worked great for them up to that point -- but when it was no longer enough, they couldn't flip the switch in-game. One would expect the Isles to shift into a higher gear the next game, too.

Crowd finally came alive, too -- what the hell happened in Game 1??

Goaltending for the Caps needs to get better; though I dunno, I thought the Isles just got some tremendous snipes today, picked corners. Maybe on that 2nd goal, Grubs stayed too deep in the net.. He's ok, I guess, but the goalies need to somehow help the Caps get a better start to a game.

The Islanders haven't been missing on their shots. That's for sure.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Caps playoff stickers on a poster.

In the video on monumental network where the Caps give out honest abe hat etc ... the Caps have a poster with 16 squares on it

1 2 3 4 ... 4 times ... so a 16 square block

they peeled off the first sticker today with the win

kinda cool ... i hope we see the whole poster :)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps found their footing. they didn't play their game in g1. they did in g2. did the islanders also play their game? at 3-1 it sure looked like it. but even at 3-1 the caps had gotten to where the game was being played in the islanders end of the rink.

I am reasonably confident. Caps got weak goaltending again. When the goaltending catches up to the rest of the team, it will be very tough on the islanders.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
17 Martin 7
14 Hickey 7
21 Okposo 6
55 Boychuk 6
53 Cizikas 5
27 Lee 5
51 Nielsen 4
18 Strome 4
11 Visnovsky 3
12 Bailey 3
37 Strait 2
29 Nelson 2
44 de Haan 2
15 Clutterbuck 2
91 Tavares 1
2 Leddy 0
40 Grabner 0
86 Kulemin 0

Thanks for pulling those. Hickey getting targeted, check, very good. Isles fans seem concerned there. Boychuk, happy to see him near the top of the list even though he may be their rock. Leddy must really be afraid, he didn't get hit at all yet coughed up that GWG proper right up the gut! He knew we were coming after him and he was on the run :laugh:

Visnovsky seems another one that we could wear down.

About the heavy game, our heavy game is largely Ovi and Wilson, lets be reality. In the defensive zone, they are just not going to pierce armor, so our entire heavy game is grounded. No team can do what they want to do, when backed up like a clogged toilet. Yes looking like crap.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Chimera better have the game of his life tonight. Outside of 10 or so games he's been the worst player on the team by a large margin this year. Not only has he been terrible on the ice but he's taken dumb penalty after dumb penalty time and time again. He's been total garbage.

It should be: 8-92-43, 90-19-20, 22-16-42, 21-83-65

Well... it wasn't the game of his life but well done, Chimmer.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When the Islanders are playing with speed, it negates the Caps' "heaviness." The Islanders were aggressive on the forecheck in game one, and the Caps couldn't break out. Once the Islanders started sitting back more tonight, the Caps could get a structured breakout going and attack the Islanders' zone. If the breakout works, then the transition game works, then they can establish the cycle in the offensize zone and use their "heaviness." When the breakout doesn't work, the the Capitals are on the back foot and spend the game chasing around their own zone.

The Capitals need to make sure they can neutralize the Islanders' forecheck early with smart play, clean passing, and good structure.

Did the Isles really sit back, though? I often have my attention split while watching games but from what I saw the Isles were still bringing 2 men up on an aggressive forecheck that was really causing problems, but the Caps finally dropped 3 men back to deal with it. That's what eventually led to some movement in the other direction, iirc.

I think MENTALLY the Isles definitely started to sit back, as I commented earlier. Maybe the physical/strategic move started with a few shifts I didn't see change out.

Anyone notice Trotz playing the top 2 lines quite frequently in the last 5 mins. Finally he realized that they need to keep the foot on the pedal. Ovi was even on with 2 mins left.

Yes, I noted here that Ovie got some quality turtle time. But it wasn't pedal to the metal offense, it was Trotz trusting Ovie to play the turtle game which he did. Instead of rushing up the ice and turning the puck over by throwing himself into the defense he made smart decisions that chewed clock.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I'm with you goon, I don't think the islanders sat back either. Caps actually came with a plan to counter their forecheck.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Have to say I've been surprised by Johansson's willingness to finish his checks with some authority. Not a ton but some.

I don't think the Islanders played with much urgency with the lead. They seemed to believe they could get one if they needed it...until they couldn't and the game slipped through their hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad