Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Capitals Game 2 7pm 4/17/15 [MOD NOTE IN #102]

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
if holts had a gastro thing going on so bad that he missed the game, i think he may be still a little weak for a noon start. if he is on a normal diet today though, he should be fine.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'll personally admit that I was calling for him to be scratched after his penalty last game. Since he had the GWG tonight, I'll admit I was wrong... once again... like usual. Haha

You and me both.

Props to the coaching staff for making some good adjustments. Breakouts were a little more urgent, Backstrom took a shot on the PP, Ovechkin played a better possession game and won some board battles because he can out-muscle the Isles defenders, etc.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Very reminiscent of the Montreal series so far.

Lose the 1st game at home. Down early in the 2nd game, come back and win. I just hope we don't get Halak'd going forward.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Good news is the caps play good on the road.

Edit: also is that snapshots into the postgame locker room a new thing? Pretty cool to see, Ovi on his phone texting his Gf right after the W lol.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
And that, folks, is a heavy game doing it's thing. It's not necessarily the bone-jarring hits. It's using your superior strength to dominate the boards and cycle them into submission.

It was a sight for sore eyes. Also seemed like Trotz have the RD orders to support the cycle as aggressively as necessary -the early 2 on 1 goal was a result of Green way committed to the O zone. Once the isles are pinned in their zone (less space) the size advantage goes to town -like the Ovie goal, what a cycle.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
2 broken Islander sticks were the MVPs last night

Seems like our play is finally wearing them down? They seemed lost halfway through the 2nd. Which makes no sense

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Very reminiscent of the Montreal series so far.

Lose the 1st game at home. Down early in the 2nd game, come back and win. I just hope we don't get Halak'd going forward.

And, a goalie change in game 2 to a greenhorn.

But yeah, halak in net and his D blocking a ton of shots, countering on us for goal, reeks of Montreal.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Halak'd by Neuvirth as they pull Halak? Ah my head hurts.

Going forward, I know Chimmer was the man of the game last night or whatever but he should not dress out for game three. Firstly our finesse guys are the MVP's right now, Kuzy, MoJo, Backstrom, if we could plug Bura in some where we'd be that much more dangerous. Secondly I know he scored that last goal but I feel like that was more of a being in the right place type thing, I feel like Chimmers negatives have vastly out weighed his positives this series.

I like Chimmer but I don't think we need whatever he's trying to bring to the table. If Trotz wants grit then play Latta, he does it better, if Trotz wants offense, then play Bura, etc.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
I missed the game but for the last ten minutes, but saw the highlights. My SO said the Caps played like they were on the PP all night and dominated possession.

I'm bummed I missed out live on Nicky's goal. That was amazing and totally embarrassing for the Isles!

The shot and hit differential was crazy good. Here's hoping they keep up this play in G3.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Halak'd by Neuvirth as they pull Halak? Ah my head hurts.

Going forward, I know Chimmer was the man of the game last night or whatever but he should not dress out for game three. Firstly our finesse guys are the MVP's right now, Kuzy, MoJo, Backstrom, if we could plug Bura in some where we'd be that much more dangerous. Secondly I know he scored that last goal but I feel like that was more of a being in the right place type thing, I feel like Chimmers negatives have vastly out weighed his positives this series.

I like Chimmer but I don't think we need whatever he's trying to bring to the table. If Trotz wants grit then play Latta, he does it better, if Trotz wants offense, then play Bura, etc.
Um, yeah, that's never going to happen. No sane coach is going to bench the guy who scored the GWG in a playoff game. Chimera has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. It's not like it's the first time he's done it and overall I thought he was much better last night. I thought Latta was pretty bad in Game 1 so I have no issue leaving Chimera in over him, and Trotz is clearly going "heavy", which is the complete opposite of Burakovsky. He'll fill in for Kuz, Mojo, or maybe Brouwer if any of them gets hurt or completely start crapping the game. Latta will be the fill-in if any of the bottom 6 goes out or play poorly several games in a row.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
It's insane that Chimera is 2nd all time for the caps playoff GWGs.

Thought the caps dominated the whole game last night, aside from being down 3-1 from two soft goals

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nice work on the GDT by the way Randy. You get my vote for home games...

Thanks. I tried my best to have as many subtle screw ups as possible yet still make it to the mains for the fish sticks faithful to use. My go to calling card is of course the team logo. And I thought the Orpik GW goal was a nice touch.

Thanks to Conan O'Brien for The Sea Captain

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Thanks. I tried my best to have as many subtle screw ups as possible yet still make it to the mains for the fish sticks faithful to use. My go to calling card is of course the team logo. And I thought the Orpik GW goal was a nice touch.

Thanks to Conan O'Brien for The Sea Captain
Obviously the Joehansen was great, but "Straight" was my favorite. :handclap:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Tavares is really struggling with that match-up now and i think we'll see Capuano trying to break it today with the home-ice advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad