Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
They came away with another tank busting point

tumblr_lex3s2CgQN1qe0eclo1_r9_500.gif

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
some historical pdo context

So I assume Nashville will stop winning when PDO crashes just like Islanders will.

And Anaheim, they're barely .500 with their high PDO. Guess they're gonna totally suck when it normalizes.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
So I assume Nashville will stop winning when PDO crashes just like Islanders will.

And Anaheim, they're barely .500 with their high PDO. Guess they're gonna totally suck when it normalizes.
That’s been everyone’s consensus. Gibson is playing at a hart level so far. He slips at all and it’s GG for them.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
They're more lucky than everyone thought, not better. Goaltending has been bailing them out and they have the highest PDO in the league. I wouldn't be shocked if they crashed sooner than later.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015

You are boarding an umhealthy obsession with the Islanders, not advanced stats or PDO but the Islanders. I'm afraid u will burn down the practice physically or chain urself to a tree at Belmont park. Seek help.

Reactions: PuckItUp27

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
third time you have done this. feel free to prove it with posts that don't include this topic or the playoff series from 3 years ago.

Dude you have 3 different people saying the same thing. You are absolutely obsessed. You post non stop in every single thread relating to the Islanders. It's super unhealthy and frankly really weird. Nobody has to prove anything...anybody can look at your post history. Get a grip my man.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Dude you have 3 different people saying the same thing. You are absolutely obsessed. You post non stop in every single thread relating to the Islanders. It's super unhealthy and frankly really weird. Nobody has to prove anything...anybody can look at your post history. Get a grip my man.
Really? There have been numerous Barzal threads recently and I don't think I posted in any of them and if I did, it was most certainly complimentary of Barzal. But keep going with your delusion that I am obsessed with your favorite team because I think their success is unsustainable and use actual evidence to back up my thoughts instead of feels.

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
I'm thinking tonight's game against the Lightning will be a great telltale. They're coming off a terrible loss in which they barley competed and yet somehow still got a point against the Habs. I'm thinking if they get the doors blown off of them again (which will probably happen) we'll probably have a pretty good idea of where they are. If they come back and give a strong effort against a strong and surging Tampa team (at home), then maybe they aren't as lucky as everybody is saying and they really are a decent team. Big telltale and test tonight for them.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I'm thinking tonight's game against the Lightning will be a great telltale. They're coming off a terrible loss in which they barley competed and yet somehow still got a point against the Habs. I'm thinking if they get the doors blown off of them again (which will probably happen) we'll probably have a pretty good idea of where they are. If they come back and give a strong effort against a strong and surging Tampa team (at home), then maybe they aren't as lucky as everybody is saying and they really are a decent team. Big telltale and test tonight for them.
And.... whats the verdict?

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
The Preds have far better underlying numbers and are pacing to win 22 more games than the Isles. The similarities begin and end with PDO

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

This looks impressive unto you recognize what PDO is. You’ve defined PDO to be an arbitrary and meaningless division near the average, then noted that most of your data is near the average.

This is circular logic at its finest.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Mediocre roster with a great coach.

I thought the Isles outplayed the Bolts for large portions of that game but as you said, with that roster they just didn't have the "finishers" the Bolts did.

All the advanced stuff is in the Isles favor, including 11 to 5 in high danger chances.

Only five regulation loses in fifteen games is pretty impressive for any team but especially for a team that wasn't expected to do much. I know it is early but the Canuck, Habs and Isles have to be the biggest surprises of the season so far.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
When we went on a PDO bender we had a top 5 offense, AND a HOF Goaltender

The islanders have a great offense, but Greiss and Lehner between the pipes.

I am highly skeptical that this can continue

Reactions: Critical91

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
This looks impressive unto you recognize what PDO is. You’ve defined PDO to be an arbitrary and meaningless division near the average, then noted that most of your data is near the average.

This is circular logic at its finest.
it isn't arbitrary or meaningless at all. Seasons of data states that the average team should hover just below or above 100. Teams that have good goaltending/scoring should be slightly higher then the average teams hanging around 100 and bad teams should be just below. When a team is way over everyone else it's a big flag that more research is needed. When you do that research when it comes to the Isles, it's not good.

Reactions: Critical91

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Id say so. They were impressive last night. I think they have real potential in the playoffs if they can find some consistency in their offense and goaltending. Trotz is a good coach and knows what hes doing.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Id say so. They were impressive last night. I think they have real potential in the playoffs if they can find some consistency in their offense and goaltending. Trotz is a good coach and knows what hes doing.

Yeah I thought the Islanders did well last night against a very good team. Game could have been a blow out either for either team. Pavelevski (sp?) was incredible. Barzal should be let loose by Trotz. I think this focus on a 200 foot game is not so pivotal when you can control the play so well in the offensive zone as Barzal did last year. He looks confused as if he's not so sure what the coach wants. Also I think it's time to bring up Bellows to play L wing on #13's line, Beau is struggling this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad