GDT: Islanders @ Avalanche | December 17th 7MT |

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Do people really feel that way about Gormley? He obviously isn't spectacular, but he's fine for a 3rd pairing D-man. Way ahead of Guenin and Redmond in my mind. Most of the time the past month he's been paired with Guenin which would be tough for anyone. I'd like to see Gormley eventually paired with Zadorov or Bigras later this season (or Stuart again if he's healthy).

Whatever gets Guenin completely off this time im ok with. I dont know how a guy who plays 6 minutes can be so damn noticeable in a bad way but Guenin does it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Avs could really use Zadorov on the third pairing. Redmond has been decent in spurts but Gormley and Guenin bring very little to the table.

I think you flipped Redmond and Gormley. Gormley has at least passed the puck effectively at times. Redmond's just been an absolute disaster.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Whatever gets Guenin completely off this time im ok with. I dont know how a guy who plays 6 minutes can be so damn noticeable in a bad way but Guenin does it.

Very limited ice time with the easiest matchups but he'll still give you 2-3 brutal turnovers. It's actually kinda impressive. He has a gift.

Gormley hasn't been anything special but he shouldn't be included with Guenin and Redmond. He's much smarter and better.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Out of the 3 plugs, Gormley is the only one who I'd want to give minutes to. Problem is with the system Roy is trying to run now, you need some mobility on the right side and Redmond is really the only healthy option right now that can actually skate. Gormley isn't good on the right side, Guenin can't skate, Noreau is hurt, Clark is at best a #4 in the AHL now, etc. Zadorov is playing the right quite a bit and my theory is that they want him to get used to that side before coming back up.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I choose Gormley over Guenin and Redmond every time.

weird thing is, even limited minutes and sheltering, I think I choose Guenin+either over Gormley-Redmond right now.

I'm still hoping there will be some sudden improvement in both, even if just in defensive positioning though so that could change

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
weird thing is, even limited minutes and sheltering, I think I choose Guenin+either over Gormley-Redmond right now.

I'm still hoping there will be some sudden improvement in both, even if just in defensive positioning though so that could change

I like the idea of Siemens and one of Gormely or Redmond over Guenin though. Call me crazy I guess...

Siemens skating would allow him to cover more ice, but hes still a stay at home defense first type. Gormely and Redmond together are just soft as butter and take too many risks. Neither of them can move anyone from the front of the net. Guenin still does not clear the crease consistently like we seen last night though.

I'd just love to see Duncan get a shot to do what Guenin does. Which is plant his ass to the side of the net and defend the ice in front of it.

It's when Guenin has to do anything else, or there is a scramble in coverage that he can't keep up mentally or physically.

Out of the 3 plugs, Gormley is the only one who I'd want to give minutes to. Problem is with the system Roy is trying to run now, you need some mobility on the right side and Redmond is really the only healthy option right now that can actually skate. Gormley isn't good on the right side, Guenin can't skate, Noreau is hurt, Clark is at best a #4 in the AHL now, etc. Zadorov is playing the right quite a bit and my theory is that they want him to get used to that side before coming back up.

That's probably the best theory as to why Zadorov is getting as much time on the right side in the AHL, as I've seen thus far. That would make a ton of sense without any other wild implications like Barrie getting traded due to potential contract issues.

Edit : Wasn't there something at one point where Roy wanted to have three main D on separate pairings, instead of a one or two top pairings? I think that came from how LA used to run their D. I remember him saying something to that effect early on.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I like the idea of Siemens and one of Gormely or Redmond over Guenin though. Call me crazy I guess...

Siemens skating would allow him to cover more ice, but hes still a stay at home defense first type. Gormely and Redmond together are just soft as butter and take too many risks. Neither of them can move anyone from the front of the net. Guenin still does not clear the crease consistently like we seen last night though.

I'd just love to see Duncan get a shot to do what Guenin does. Which is plant his ass to the side of the net and defend the ice in front of it.

It's when Guenin has to do anything else, or there is a scramble in coverage that he can't keep up mentally or physically.

I completely agree with that. I still think Siemens will be on the NHL roster as a 5-8 next season. I was just speaking of what our options are right now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I completely agree with that. I still think Siemens will be on the NHL roster as a 5-8 next season. I was just speaking of what our options are right now.

I'm just venting because I wish Duncan was an option in Roy's mind. I'd love to be even as optimistic as you are about next year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

So Gormley-Zadorov when Peacock gets back? I could live with that if Gormley doesn't fall apart.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm just venting because I wish Duncan was an option in Roy's mind. I'd love to be even as optimistic as you are about next year.

My fear is we give up on Siemens before giving him a legit shot. I rather have Siemens making the mistakes that Guenin does and LEARNING from them as opposed to continually watch Guenin make the same bone head plays night in night out. How the hell does a guy play 6 minutes and be more noticeable in a bad way than just about anyone else?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My fear is we give up on Siemens before giving him a legit shot. I rather have Siemens making the mistakes that Guenin does and LEARNING from them as opposed to continually watch Guenin make the same bone head plays night in night out. How the hell does a guy play 6 minutes and be more noticeable in a bad way than just about anyone else?

I can't help but wonder what Duncan would be right now if Roy had given him a shot instead of bringing in Guenin.

Just about any D could be better than Guenin is right now with the amount of experience and trial and error Guenin has been given.

That's exactly what a rookie needs to gain experience, and instead it's been wasted on someone with absolutely zero upside.

I fully believe experience is the only reason Holden is a remotely viable defender right now. Hes learned through repetition and mistakes.

I also have a sad feeling Duncan is possibly traded between now and next season. The way of Gaunce...

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I think Siemens is one of those guys that makes in when he's almost 30.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Gormley-Redmond looked better than anything with Guenin on it.

Redmond: 48.2 ES CF%
Gormley: 46.1 ES CF%

They are 1st and 2nd on Avs.

Guenin: 37.2% ES CF%.

That's the last in the NHL out of all defenders playing 200 ES minutes or more. The second last has 40.1% ES CF so Nate Guenin is in a league of his own.

Nate Guenin will never be better in any situation than anyone else. He is by far the worst player in the league if you exclude players like John Scott. Possibly if you include John Scott. No matter what Roy is trying to accomplish he is hurting the team every time he puts Nate Guenin on the ice. He has now done it 172 times.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The Guenin Maneuvre

35am5xx.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad