Friedman: "Islanders and Rangers could be offersheet teams"

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I hope somebody offers Marner just to screw with their cap.
I am fairly sure that the player has to agree to the offer sheet! I'm betting Mitchy is quite happy being a Leaf . Considering he always wanted to be a Leaf, all the endorsements,charity events and general rock star status ...I can't see him going anywhere for a long time.

Besides ,once you get past the Leaf hatred that seems to be getting in the way of a common sense approach there are other players available who are just as good to offer sheet!

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I hope the Habs offer sheet Marner for 11.5 x 7.

Seriously I am totally fine forfeiting 4 1sts for him. We have a lot of young prospects coming up.

It’s a win win if the Leafs match or don’t

Drouin - Domi - Marner
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Lehk - kotka - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Shaw

Suzuki in Laval next year but he is looking more and more like a stud

Defensive prospects in Brook, Romanov, Fleury, Juulsen, Mete.

Goalie prospects in Primeau and Lindgren.

If there ever was a team with full
Cupboards it’s us. We can afford the 4 1sts and I’m totally cool with it

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Mitch Marner at just under the 4 1sts number for 4 years. A straight to UFA contract that pays him big money as well. This is a cap hit where the Leafs rather screw themselves with too much money tied up front and nothing on defence but 1 guy. Or they let him go and probably end up with less than they’d have gotten out of Marner.
Even if your real target is one of Johnsson/Kapanen, you just turn around and sign either of these guys if Mitch says no or is matched

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Worst case for TOR is 5 year 10.5 or worse yet 4x10.5 for marner. lower compensation at high cap hit with guarantee of him hitting UFA at prime age

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think that is going to change because a $4M costs only a 2nd but you see many teams signing their ELC player s to $4M-$6M

5 yrs ago a $4M offer sheet costs was a 1st+.

Teams tight against st the cap with young players are very vulnerable

I think it will be harder to see high offer sheets outside something like Toronto and narner and tb and point wherea high offer sheet could force them to take the compensation.
your username is my initials

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Thx for clarification, still not sure how that makes sense but whatever.
If the Leafs are willing to sign Marner to a front loaded, bonus heavy contract at X AAV, then the team offer sheeting Marner will have to do that too, or better. Otherwise why would Marner sign the offer sheet?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If the Leafs are willing to sign Marner to a front loaded, bonus heavy contract at X AAV, then the team offer sheeting Marner will have to do that too, or better. Otherwise why would Marner sign the offer sheet?
I feel like half of this "interest" is ti paint the Leafs into a corner and force them to do just that. The long term strategy I would go with is not to necessarily walk away with Marner, but to really make things uncomfortable cap wise for the next 7 or 8 years for them. Marner is one player. The long term effects of having 3 guys take that much space and effect all contracts for that long I think is far more damaging than losing one guy. Just my opinion though.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Love reading these threads of other teams’ fans fantasising over some GM handing out a shit contract on shit term just to try and f*** over the Leafs. Other teams are good targets, too. But alas we continue to prove to be the centre of the hockey universe. :nod:

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
Don’t see it happening. Rangers will have something like 10 mill in cap after signing RFAs. Give it to Panarin and call it a day.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Love reading these threads of other teams’ fans fantasising over some GM handing out a **** contract on **** term just to try and **** over the Leafs. Other teams are good targets, too. But alas we continue to prove to be the centre of the hockey universe. :nod:
If you doubt any GMs would leak interest in order to turn up the heat on Dumas I disagree. If you doubt Marners agent would stir this pot to raise the ante, I disagree. As far as being center of the universe, there's a lot of you, and you talk more than most fan bases. There's no global warming crisis. It's just all the hot air coming out of Ontario since the Leafs drafted Matthews that's throwing everything off.:sarcasm:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I hope the Habs offer sheet Marner for 11.5 x 7.

Seriously I am totally fine forfeiting 4 1sts for him. We have a lot of young prospects coming up.

It’s a win win if the Leafs match or don’t

Drouin - Domi - Marner
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Lehk - kotka - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Shaw

Suzuki in Laval next year but he is looking more and more like a stud

Defensive prospects in Brook, Romanov, Fleury, Juulsen, Mete.

Goalie prospects in Primeau and Lindgren.

If there ever was a team with full
Cupboards it’s us. We can afford the 4 1sts and I’m totally cool with it

If the Habs offer 11M per I'm sure the Leafs wont match either. Him being a lifelong Leafs fan, I'm not sure he would sign with the Habs however. If he did those four 1st have good potential for us though as the Habs cupboards might be full, but its full of overhyped crap. And a Price injury or dip in play puts them firmly in lottery team territory.

If Marner wont sign for under 11M per he will be traded before anyone can offer any offer-sheets. If they cant get enough through trade then they'll leave him to be offer-sheeted for the four 1st's.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

In that example marner was offered a max contract offer sheet, now he wouldn't sign that because he doesn't get those 15 millions in july? Because the leavs pay him about 10 millions in july?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If you doubt any GMs would leak interest in order to turn up the heat on Dumas I disagree. If you doubt Marners agent would stir this pot to raise the ante, I disagree. As far as being center of the universe, there's a lot of you, and you talk more than most fan bases. There's no global warming crisis. It's just all the hot air coming out of Ontario since the Leafs drafted Matthews that's throwing everything off.:sarcasm:

Yet other fan bases are the loudest in here clamouring over the Leafs. The fact there are lots of Leafs fans talking loudly doesn’t make it the centre of the hockey universe. It’s the fact that there are a lot of non-Leafs fans talking loudly about the Leafs. Case in point: this thread.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I mean, could it happen? Yes, but I think the Islanders specifically will try and fill their needs via the trade and UFA market before considering an offersheet.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Sure, if he signed it, which he wouldn't.

I didn't say with which team and why wouldn't he as that type of deal would be most lucrative to him. It's a risk from an injury standpoint but so are bridge deals.

If a team called his agent with that deal structure you better believe they seriously consider it. That being said I hope it's not from the Islanders.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I didn't say with which team and why wouldn't he as that type of deal would be most lucrative to him. It's a risk from an injury standpoint but so are bridge deals.

If a team called his agent with that deal structure you better believe they seriously consider it. That being said I hope it's not from the Islanders.

Because you're conjuring up nonsense, the goal isn't to reach UFA status, if that were the case Matthews wouldnt of pushed for 8 years. Meanwhile the kid who grew up a Leafs fan and has said being a Leaf is his number one priority is going to sign an offer sheet that isnt even lockout proof (like Auston, William and John got) for an amount beneath what he thinks he's worth to play on a team that isnt his first choice without any post lockout security... got it.

I understand as a Leafs hater everything you conjure up will be the artifact of a Leafs hating mind, so you'll miss some important stuff because your thoughts are centered on the Leafs getting screwed in one way or another. But there is a reason players around the league want to get locked into long term deals before the eventual lockout and the changes it may bring.

Reactions: DanM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad