Friedman: "Islanders and Rangers could be offersheet teams"

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but the Rangers have their 2020 2nd or 3rd tied up in the Adam Fox trade. That limits the type of offer sheet that they could offer. Not sure if Friedman was talking about a big fish offer sheet who would command four 1sts, but that seems like a big risk for most teams.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but the Rangers have their 2020 2nd or 3rd tied up in the Adam Fox trade. That limits the type of offer sheet that they could offer. Not sure if Friedman was talking about a big fish offer sheet who would command four 1sts, but that seems like a big risk for most teams.

He mentioned that, but said it wouldn't really be an issue because they can easily change the picks being traded to make it work.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I could maybe see offer-sheeting a player like Kapanen, if we are able to get him to sign an offer to an AAV of $4,227,437 or less.

But we know he was implying Marner, and I hope that the NYI stay away from that. One player doesn't make a team (see McDavid, Edmonton) and in a salary cap system, giving away 4 first round picks, who provide years of ELC cap relief, is just not justifiable.

Last edited:
Reactions: nofehr

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Before people start talking about offer sheet this and that and get this return. I remember read that the NHL calculates the compensation over 5 years. Total of the contract divided by 5.

So for example, Offer sheet is sent for 7 years 7.5 million a year, no bonuses. It's accepted and not matched by the rights holding team. The league then takes:

7.5 x 7 = 52.5

52.5 / 5 = 10.5 a year.

Compensation goes from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to 2 1sts, 2nd, and 3rd.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not worried about Marner getting an offer sheet because a good team has their own guys to sign, they don't have the cap space to do it, and a bad team is not giving up 4 1st rounders and Marner would cost 4 1st rounders

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I have frequently said Lou offer sheeting Marner makes perfect sense to me. I don't see how the Rangers being in an article discussing offer sheets does anything other than getting clicks for the author of the article and of course, any free agency discussion has the Rangers as a player in the negotioation if only to drive the price up. I have absolutely ZERO issue with Gorton leaking out some interest to the media in order to put the screws to Dubas and make him feel like the deal better be done before an offer can be made. It's a savvy move if that's what's happening but really it doesn't fit the timeline of the rebuild. Why would you give an offer sheet to a guy when all rumors have put Panarin falling into your lap already?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Would like to see the Jets give an offer sheet William Karlsson. For what Vegas did with Stastny and Brassard.

But I think lots of teams will go after Marner, Islanders I think is going to be one of them, maybe Colorado.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Would like to see the Jets give an offer sheet William Karlsson. For what Vegas did with Stastny and Brassard.

But I think lots of teams will go after Marner, Islanders I think is going to be one of them, maybe Colorado.

In an offseason where Rantanen, Point, Aho, Tkachuck and more are RFAs I don't understand why people are so fixated on Marner.

Any offersheet for a player of his caliber is definitely going into 4x1st territory and...

1. Most teams don't have the cap to do that
2. Are too scared to lose 4 consecutive 1st round picks

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Teams would be stupid to go after Marner. If you want to hurt the leafs you go after the guys they plan on signing for ~2 and offer them 4.

Leafs have to pay Marner. Cut them deep in a different area.
Well if they have to pay Marner, if you're a rival team you could sign Marner to something hilarious and since they "have" to pay him, you'll just be f***ing the Leafs over even harder. Worst case they don't match and now you have Mitch Marner

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Like it was said above, the Rangers dealing their 2nd/3rd rounders in the Fox trade made any realistic (?) offer sheets worth a 2nd rounder in compensation unlikely. They're not in a position to be risking their 2020 first rounder anyways considering how young the team will still be this season.

Reactions: haveandare

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Like it was said above, the Rangers dealing their 2nd/3rd rounders in the Fox trade made any realistic (?) offer sheets worth a 2nd rounder in compensation unlikely. They're not in a position to be risking their 2020 first rounder anyways considering how young the team will still be this season.

Offer sheet signings this summer require 2020 draft picks, not 2019.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Offer sheet signings this summer require 2020 draft picks, not 2019.

Fox was traded to New York by the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday for a second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft and a conditional third-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft. The third-round pick would become a second-round pick in the 2020 draft if Fox plays 30 NHL games for the Rangers next season.

Fox agrees to entry-level contract with Rangers

Yup, and there's a conditional 2020 pick involved which was what I was referencing. Barring an additional deal, the Rangers would be missing their 2020 2nd or 3rd from the deal, thus limiting the range of hypothetical offer sheet they could offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00