Newsday: Islanders and Barclays Center have an opt-out clause

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...but-no-plans-to-use-it-sources-say-1.11670482

The Islanders and Brooklyn’s Barclays Center each has the ability to opt out of their 25-year license agreement, according to multiple sources familiar with the terms. Despite the existence of the clause, there are no indications that either side will opt out.

The Islanders wrap up their first regular season in Brooklyn Sunday and begin their first-round playoff series next week.

BroadwayJay*

"Despite the existence of the clause, there are no indications that either side will opt out."

I predict this sentence will be ignored.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
good read and a fair read IMO

that last line has me hopeful that if something were to materialize, bettman would prefer them to be in LI, but for now barclays is home, so embrace it....lets get BC loud for the playoffs!

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
At this juncture I don't see the existence of the out clause as being very significant. Not until I see some solid reporting that one or both sides is unhappy enough to want to terminate the relationship.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
We already knew this, or this is breaking news proving we are all timelords.

I call first dibs on the daleks! They are handy if the loo backs up.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
This is the 5th time we've heard this and no one has a definite source for it

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
With the seating at NVMC still reported at 13k, an existence of an opt out clause is irrelevant .

Should the seating get changed to 15k + , then it becomes very relevant

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
Oh Great.... look its thread again.

Agreed.

I feel like they need each other. Barclays needs to fill the place for 44+ nights per year and the Islanders become instantly profitable. Since we'll never see the books, we will never know who got the better end of the deal.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
With the seating at NVMC still reported at 13k, an existence of an opt out clause is irrelevant .

Should the seating get changed to 15k + , then it becomes very relevant
Not to throw fuel on the fire :laugh: all they would need to do to go from 13k to 15k is take down some curtains.

BroadwayJay*

Not to throw fuel on the fire :laugh: all they would need to do to go from 13k to 15k is take down some curtains.

Where do the luxury boxes come from and the remaining $400m in necessary investment to construct an NHL rink?

I'll take the answer off the air.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
A.) Neither side would indiciate they have interest in opting out until the moment the clause was used.

B.) The only current viable arena options in the foreseeable future are Quebec and Vegas. Latest rumblings are that Carolina may be on it's way to Quebec, and I imagine Arizona has the inside track on Vegas. No where for the Islanders to go, so they will continue to happily honor their lease.

I don't believe NYI will ever return 'Long Island', but I think Quebec and Vegas can certainly become options should Carolina or Arizona iron out their situations, and stay in their respective arenas.

That's my hot teak.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Where do the luxury boxes come from and the remaining $400m in necessary investment to construct an NHL rink?

I'll take the answer off the air.
Forget about all that. Everybody is forgetting that Nassau county owns the NVMC. This is the same government that along with SMG held the team at ransom for decades. What are the chances the Islanders would get a fair deal with this corrupt bunch?

Nill

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I still don't think the team will ever move back to Long Island, however I do think it would be dumb for the renovated Coliseum to not be fit for an NHL team. There's really no reason not to do it (maybe there are a few million reasons :sarcasm:). I'd be upset if the opt-out clause was used and the team couldn't go back to Nassau because of another poor building decision.

Wouldn't mind them agreeing to make an arena with that soccer club or something like that.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Bottom line. The a Islanders can have a total yearly attendance of 1 in Brooklyn and they still get paid. Nobody's ever going to give a deal like that again and the Islanders are not walking away from it.

BroadwayJay*

I still don't think the team will ever move back to Long Island, however I do think it would be dumb for the renovated Coliseum to not be fit for an NHL team. There's really no reason not to do it (maybe there are a few million reasons :sarcasm:). I'd be upset if the opt-out clause was used and the team couldn't go back to Nassau because of another poor building decision.

Wouldn't mind them agreeing to make an arena with that soccer club or something like that.

Indoor soccer? Is that even a thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad