Post-Game Talk: Islanders 3 @ Canucks 2 | 3/1/16

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
That was an entertaining game. The game was lost on unfortunate bounces but it was still enjoyable.

I really liked Virtanen, Baertschi and Hutton tonight. They were all on a roll tonight. Vey was good as well and he has been for a while. The amount of hate he gets is absolutely ridiculous. I get it, Willie plays him too much (and it's probably because he's one of the older young guys), but that doesn't mean he hasn't been effective.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Tough puck luck the difference. Who knew Hutton was so committed to the tank :sarcasm:. Rough night for Marky, he needs to play more to re-find his rhytm. He wasn't bad by any means but he wasn't in the zone either. Terrible puck luck.

Hutton was good. Virtanen exciting. Etem looked like he belonged (but he played with the Sedins so..). Can't wait for Miller to play all the divisional games now.

Last edited:

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Didn't watch the game, how did everyone look?

And how's free willie's line combo madness?

The Islanders best line was their 4th. They were pretty awful on the whole and like I said, never been more disappointed watching a star player in person than I was watching Tavares. I hope for his sake he's injured or really sick because he was a huge disappointment.

As for the Canucks, they scored 5 goals tonight and lost 3-2:

- Sedin line was good, as usual, but Etem didn't really do anything special.

- Granlund line was very good. Grandlund is a clever player, found his line mates well, positionally very sound. He is slight though for a pro athlete, if I were guessing he's probably around 5'11 and 180 at the most. Virtanen and Baertschi were both electric. Virtanen has just grown by leaps and bounds, it is so fun to watch.

- poor Horvat was saddled with Dorsett and Vey and was a non-factor because of it. Vey's performance on that power play in the 3rd actually had half the arena laughing. Dorsett hit some guys and bobbled the puck all night.

- McCann played well, does look noticeably stronger than the start of the year. Weber looked like a defenseman playing forward. Poor Burrows is as frustrated and down on himself as I've seen. I was seated right behind the bench, he was really unhappy with himself after many shifts.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Tavares was atrocious tonight, never been so disappointed watching a star player in this league.

Dead right here - he was bad. Islanders stunk in this game and couldn't make a pass all game. Many passes into teammates feet. Total fluke that they won so I guess Tank Luck was on our side tonight. On a long road trip so something of an excuse for the Islanders' lame effort.

Thought the Canucks dominated much of the game and the Sedin line, in particular, was very dangerous and unfortunate not to get a couple more.

Hutton was excellent and showed he could log big minutes without really any drop off in play. Him and Tanev were effective and this means, looking ahead, you can play Edler maybe as a 3. Getting a 4th top 4 player on defense is critical for the team and hopefully, if they don't screw up their drafting position, they can get one. If they can, then you really have to question if Hamhuis should be back given the salary he will command. However, to save face, Canuck management will likely pay what they have to, to get him back.

Hamhuis worked hard in this game and was mostly good. However, his limitations on offense were evident when he blew some very good chances.

Virtanen had some good shifts and produced some offense. For all the talk about his IQ he doesn't make many mistakes in positioning or puck management. However, still needs to use linemates better. His speed allows him to get open and turn the defense but he needs to find ways to get the puck back into the open spaces he is creating especially when he takes the puck wide around the net. He is good off the rush but needs to learn how to move the puck in more static situations like on the PP. Could learn from the Sedins here.

Baertschi continues to show well. Should have put that one puck home. Seems to bring energy to every game and has improved a ton over how he was at the beginning of the season.

Granlund was ok but he his lack of strength is clear. Had trouble fighting thru or holding his ground against the bigger players the Islanders have. Thought he moved the puck through the mid-ice area well but had trouble getting to the net.

Horvat not really looking like a factor in recent games. Seemed to get banged up in this game and you have to think he may not be at 100%. If so the Canucks should rest him. Likewise with Hansen. Not totally ready to go, keep him out. Other teams aren't working hard to win and neither should the Canucks.

Weber was awful at forward as could be pretty much expected. Whole deadline snafu seems to have left them unable to anticipate the need to call someone up sooner.

Etem should get a longer look with the Sedins. Maybe they can make a scorer out of him. Thought he worked the boards fairly well and speed forced the Islanders into mistakes.

Markstrom was mostly unfortunate in this game. Don't think you can say he played bad. Might have made himself bigger at times but those own goals were near impossible to stop.

Garrett's defense of Benning was weak but I guess the guy knows on what side his bread is buttered. I certainly never expected him to call Benning to account. Patterson's point about fans wanting Hamhuis gone to weaken the team was the most honest one.

Alpha

英霊
Dec 15, 2011
That might have been Virtanens best game.. He had so much confidence carrying the puck.. I"m really happy with this game.. Kids looking good. And a loss its a perfect situation

He's looking better and better. Really come a long way from the start of the season. Perhaps the trouncing at the WJC woke him up.. down the road I truly feel he's going to be dynamite for the Canucks.

I wouldn't mind losing 4-3 with a Virtanen hat trick, though.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Went to the game today and have a few notes to share.

Nucks actually played pretty well carrying play for most of the game. NYI was disappointing, Tavares was a big no show. Felt Canucks deserved better than the scoresheet shows but oh well. You can see the effort is there but lacking the skill #tanknation

Officiating was...bad. A couple of obvious missed calls both ways but not suprising as Tim Peel was one of the refs

Virtanen was flying out there all night. Liked how he used his speed to create chances in the offensive zone. Would've liked to see him throw his weight around more but I guess that's a confidence thing for a rookie and will just come with more time

Etem was good too. One of the more noticeable forwards

Dorsett got pummelled in his fight against Clutterbuck and it was pretty sad :shakehead

Horvat was centering Vey and Dorsett... wtf?

Hutton's skating was impressive. Really fast and smooth. Also didn't realize how tall he was. Just checked and he's 6"2 and 183 lbs. If he can put on a few more pounds and get stronger he could become a real force

Also there was one random fan who kept booing Hamhuis when he touched the puck :laugh:

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC

Nucks actually played pretty well carrying play for most of the game. NYI was disappointing, Tavares was a big no show. Felt Canucks deserved better than the scoresheet shows but oh well #tanknation

Officiating was...bad. A couple of obvious missed calls both ways but not suprising as Tim Peel was one of the refs

Virtanen was flying out there all night. Liked how he used his speed to create chances in the offensive zone. Would've liked to see him throw his weight around more but I guess that's a confidence thing for a rookie and will just come with more time

Dorsett got pummelled in his fight against Clutterbuck and it was pretty sad :shakehead

Hutton's skating was impressive. Really fast and smooth. Also didn't realize how tall he was. Just checked and he's 6"2 and 183 lbs. If he can put on a few more pounds and get stronger he could become a real force

Also there was one random fan who kept booing Hamhuis when he touched the puck :laugh:

Definitely BuretoMogilny.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014

I thought I heard that as well... Hammer was slow on the break out on the play though so maybe he was just booing that. Otherwise I guess Mogilny to Bure was at the game.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If Gaunce turns out to be a good player for us, 2012 will have officially been a great draft (given the general rule of thumb I read around is that you want at least 2 solid players from each draft).

No hope for the others. Mallet MAYBE could be a late bloomer at the minor league level and become a solid AHL'er. Myron and Beattie? Hahahahahahhahaha....

I have a tough time not seeing Gaunce turn out to be a bottom 6 forward so overall the 2012 draft is looking quite solid. especially considering that we only had a late first, 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
You have got to be kidding?!? I just listened to the whole Isles broadcast and they sucked balls. I was actually surprised to learn one of them played hockey.

To be fair you heard jiggs mcdonald today, the backup pbp guy. He's up there in age and way, way, way past his prime. The older segment of our fanbase still likes listening to him because he brings the nostalgia factor hard.

Butch, the color analyst, is an acquired taste, but we all love his mushmouth.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
To be fair you heard jiggs mcdonald today, the backup pbp guy. He's up there in age and way, way, way past his prime. The older segment of our fanbase still likes listening to him because he brings the nostalgia factor hard.

We Canadians can say the same thing about Bob Cole.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
We Canadians can say the same thing about Bob Cole.

Both were great in their day I'm sure (and both are hall of famers). But at a certain point you should kinda just give it up. Jiggs just does games now when our regular pbp guy goes on vacation. Cole does one game a week, right? I like his voice, but you could tell he's lost it a bit as well.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Both were great in their day I'm sure (and both are hall of famers). But at a certain point you should kinda just give it up. Jiggs just does games now when our regular pbp guy goes on vacation. Cole does one game a week, right? I like his voice, but you could tell he's lost it a bit as well.

I think your Jiggs guy has a good voice - he actually sounds like a big-ticket guy you might hear doing games on ESPN back in the day, but definitely a bit past his prime. Kinda flat. Bob Cole does spot duty and I'm sure he'll be back for the playoffs in the B-level series while Hughson gets primetime.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site

who was the old guy who used to do it with Jiggs?
he was even older and crustier .. i liked those guys though

btw, did the Canucks score all 5 goals in this game?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Tough puck luck the difference. Who knew Hutton was so committed to the tank :sarcasm:. Rough night for Marky, he needs to play more to re-find his rhytm. He wasn't bad by any means but he wasn't in the zone either. Terrible puck luck.

... Can't wait for Miller to play all the divisional games now.

So terrible puck luck means Marky is off his rhythm?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Nucks actually played pretty well carrying play for most of the game. NYI was disappointing, Tavares was a big no show. Felt Canucks deserved better than the scoresheet shows but oh well. You can see the effort is there but lacking the skill #tanknation

He did get pummelled... but it was by Matt Martin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad