Post-Game Talk: Islanders 3 @ Canucks 2 | 3/1/16

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching Dorsett get his ass kicked in every fight has become one of my personal joys.

Dorsett tries....not his fault that Jimbo doled out a $2.6m a year contract to him for three years...but OMG, this guy brings so little to the table even as a fourth liner...can't believe that Kenins, Gaunce or just about anyone from Utica wouldn't be an improvement...but I guess Dorsett joins the no-trade list, not because he has a 'no-movement clause' but because no NHL team in its right mind is going to want that contract.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Dorsett tries....not his fault that Jimbo doled out a $2.6m a year contract to him for three years...but OMG, this guy brings so little to the table even as a fourth liner...can't believe that Kenins, Gaunce or just about anyone from Utica wouldn't be an improvement...but I guess Dorsett joins the no-trade list, not because he has a 'no-movement clause' but because no NHL team in its right mind is going to want that contract.

4 years actually; he's signed through to 2019.

Pretty sad when a GM has multiple contracts signed less than a year ago that would not be taken on for free.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I really enjoyed that game!
As frustrating as the goals against were, that was a fun watch.

Baertschi-Granlund-Virtanen was extremely entertaining... played most of the game in the offensive zone with good possession. I think they passed back to the point as much as Sedins last night... kept a lot of plays alive. They keep that up and it's the new Kid line. Should definitely see it again.
VIRTANEN... we are seeing the development of the beast that we expected to see. Continues to shatter all questions of IQ or vision. Solid passing ability i didn't expect him to have.

Horvat is struggling and has been struggling. Good on Willie to bounce him down and shuffle it up. He needs to be better in the D zone. I didn't mind him in the O zone... maybe a little aggressive/individual lately... But i would take that from a young guy over passive and tentative. Wouldn't mind seeing a Etem-Horvat-Hansen line once Hansen and Vrby are back.

Burrow-McCann-Weber..were... yeah.. let's not see that again.

Hutton great, Hammer, Sbisa, Tanev were good... Markstrom made me feel like everything was gonna go by him last night - unbelievable triplet of bounces.

They deserved a better fate last night...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I really enjoyed that game!
As frustrating as the goals against were, that was a fun watch.

Baertschi-Granlund-Virtanen was extremely entertaining... played most of the game in the offensive zone with good possession. I think they passed back to the point as much as Sedins last night... kept a lot of plays alive. They keep that up and it's the new Kid line. Should definitely see it again.
VIRTANEN... we are seeing the development of the beast that we expected to see. Continues to shatter all questions of IQ or vision. Solid passing ability i didn't expect him to have.

Horvat is struggling and has been struggling. Good on Willie to bounce him down and shuffle it up. He needs to be better in the D zone. I didn't mind him in the O zone... maybe a little aggressive/individual lately... But i would take that from a young guy over passive and tentative. Wouldn't mind seeing a Etem-Horvat-Hansen line once Hansen and Vrby are back.

Burrow-McCann-Weber..were... yeah.. let's not see that again.

Hutton great, Hammer, Sbisa, Tanev were good... Markstrom made me feel like everything was gonna go by him last night - unbelievable triplet of bounces.

They deserved a better fate last night...

The Islanders we just plain bad last night...never seen Tavares so ineffectual...and Eastern Conference teams always seem to play loosey-goosey when they come to Vancouver....next three games are against the Sharks and the two L.A. teams....it's going to get ugly fast.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
"Horvats struggling and has been struggling"

How does putting him with a struggling dorsett and vey help?

At some point the individual bears some responsibility for his play.

My observations of his play lately have been more so 'oh Horvat has not been playing well' rather than 'oh Horvat's linemates are not letting Horvat play well'..

We all saw him struggle the first half of the season... and then play really well with Baertschi for a run there... and then we all saw him begin struggling with Baertschi the last couple of weeks.

Horvat's obviously inconsistent... and his battle level is down right now.
He'll figure it out... but it's not dependent on who he plays with at the moment (production may be... but not the process).
When he plays well it will show no matter who the linemates are... and when he eventually picks it back up, he'll move up the lineup again.

I didn't expect Granlund to look so much better than Horvat in that spot last night... it was great to see and sets up a lot of options for when Horvat re-focuses.

But having said all that... i'm looking forward to when Vrby and Hansen return to see non-Dorsett/Vey wingers for him..

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I did not think that Granlund was better on the second line then Horvat.

Granlund had 1 individual shot attempt 0 scoring chances and 0 high danger scoring chances.

Bo had 2 scoring chances last night 3 shot attempts.

Granlund isn't the driver of the offense on that line Virtanen and Baertschi were. Both got 2 high danger scoring chances, Virtanen had 5 scoring chances and Baertschi 4.

I really don't know how you can look at yesterdays game and say that Granlund deserves to be on that 2nd line over Horvat. I also don't understand how you can even point to AHL chemistry with Baertschi because Baertschi had some of his worst development seasons in the Flames AHL affiliate.

This just reeks of favoritism.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watched more than a few Abbotsford Heat games over the years....remember Baertschi pretty clearly, but can't recall Granlund at all, quite frankly....so if the 'chemistry' was there, it wasn't on display that often.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I did not think that Granlund was better on the second line then Horvat.

Granlund had 1 individual shot attempt 0 scoring chances and 0 high danger scoring chances.

Bo had 2 scoring chances last night 3 shot attempts.

Granlund isn't the driver of the offense on that line Virtanen and Baertschi were. Both got 2 high danger scoring chances, Virtanen had 5 scoring chances and Baertschi 4.

I really don't know how you can look at yesterdays game and say that Granlund deserves to be on that 2nd line over Horvat. I also don't understand how you can even point to AHL chemistry with Baertschi because Baertschi had some of his worst development seasons in the Flames AHL affiliate.

This just reeks of favoritism.

Agreed with this. I thought Horvat was one of our better players in the first. Was quieter in the later parts of the game but was clearly trying to make an impact. Not getting a ton of help from his linemates.

Thought Granlund looked like a passenger, especially since his wingers were rolling. Especially Baertschi I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad