Islanders 2018/19 Prospect Rankings - #1

Who is the Islanders #1 Prospect?

• Aho, Sebastian - D (2017: 139th OVR)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soderstrom, Linus - G (2014: 95th OVR)

• Vande Sompel, Mitchell - D (2015: 82nd OVR)

• Wilde, Bode - D (2018: 41st OVR)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
LOL Dal Colle doesn't even make the list. Definitely Sorokin for me. I hope he comes over to play for the Islanders eventually.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Wahlstrom and Otto Koivula (may not be popular opinion but I am higher on him than most)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The best prospect is the one most ready for the NHL, not based on potential. Wahlstrom is not deserving of top pick...

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
The best prospect is the one most ready for the NHL, not based on potential. Wahlstrom is not deserving of top pick...

No that is incorrect. The best prospect is the prospect with the most talent actually. We dont even know how Sorokin projects to the NHL hes played in the K on a stacked team and that never translates well. Not to mention half the responses disagree with you. Toews is more ready for the NHL than Dobson...whose a better prospect....and i'll wait.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Dobson.

His positional value gives him the nod over everyone else. High floor, high ceiling. He reigns supreme!

Add Ishtar.
I also went Dobson, but due to his skating rather than the positional value. Skating is my personal tiebreaker when it comes to prospects I see as being extremely close, so that puts him over Wahlstrom and Bellows for me. Sorokin gets knocked down partially because we still don't know if he'll ever play in NA, but mostly because goalies are just very difficult to project, so they get ranked a bit lower in my book.

Reactions: PWJunior

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
gheezus , just roll with it .

identify the criteria that you yourself personally want to vote with ; have fun

Reactions: CodeE

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

You’re free to have your own criteria but that might be the oddest criteria I’ve ever heard of. Prospect rankings are always based on potential in every sport.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Super surprised the majority is Wahlstrom over Dobson with such a wide margin.

To me, Dobson’s a safe bet to be a solid top four defenseman, but I don’t think he’s dynamic nor explosive.

Wahlstrom to me, could probably be a 35g - 35a guy with a shot that beat goalies clean.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I just want to add my feelings about why I picked Wahlstrom. I love them equally. I guess my choice was who will more likely make it to the NHL sooner. I think upside is equal for both players.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
We don’t know how most of these guys will look in the NHL. I went with Closest to NHL ready and who didn’t have a bad showing when given a taste. Ho-Sang

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You’re free to have your own criteria but that might be the oddest criteria I’ve ever heard of. Prospect rankings are always based on potential in every sport.

I personally don't view it that way because players that are 3 years away can have any number of things impact their potential, and their potential will almost always be higher than the guys who are closer to the NHL because we convince ourselves that they can work on x or y in order to be a powerhouse. For me, Ho-Sang has shown enough at the NHL level for me to believe he has high potential and has already produced a bit, so I know it's possible, where some of the recent guys are just too far away and their potential is mostly theoretical at this point.

That's my two cents and I obviously don't expect anyone else to follow my thinking. It just isn't as simple as player x being closer to the NHL than player y. It's more like, x has high potential and is close, where y has tons of potential but is too far to actually evaluate that potential realistically.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
there is no use trying to get everyone to evaluate prospects with the same methodology. if even the best scouts, GM's and coaches can not agree, then there is 0 chance that we will. it is the definition of subjectivity.

for me, i think of skill, work ethic, and accomplishments to date.

like the OP said, share, and have fun with it. we all come here for different reasons, but i think we can all surrender our egos for a bit, and enjoy our differences. the world would be a hell, if we all thought the same. i certainly would not wish that everyone thinks like me, lol. wouldn't want a world of old, crazy guys, with bad habits ;)

Reactions: nyisleslover

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Personally, I don't really care what order #'s 1-3 go as long as they're Dobson, Sorokin, and Wahlstrom. I think they're pretty clearly the most talented players in the system. The top 3 are on a tier above the next group, which for me starts with Toews.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad