Value of: Islander's 11th + 12th overall to Montreal

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
"Sorokin will never leave Russia" is an silly narrative coming from Hab fans. The best goaltenders in the sport of hockey will come to North America to play. Why? Because of the contract you handed Carey Price. The amount of money an above-average to elite goaltender makes in the NHL is way more than anything he'll make in the KHL.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Islanders don't do it. Pacioretty and Petry are too risky projecting into the future to give up two top 12 picks. I wouldn't be surprised if in 3 years both players fall off a cliff.

One will be 30 and the other 31 by the end of the year.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
who is more than likely not coming over from Russia ever. If he would at all, it would be in two years as a 25 year old. In that time, he could suffer multiple injuries, he could magically regress, he could magically still be the best player.

Lou's pitch to Tavares can't be "hey, for the most important position, we're going to rely on a career backup for the next two years while we hope Sorokin comes over from Russia in two years" --- Islanders will not win a cup with any goaltender available on the market today.

Had a great 2016/2017 season

Had an average at best 2017/2018 season.

He did this in the SHL, which is at best the 3rd most competitive League (behind NHL/KHL)

Kid is not the solution, he is your backup or AHL goaltender.

You actually have less of an idea as to what you're talking about than some other people; not necessarily about the Islanders, but clearly about the NHL in general if you think that those two goaltenders are the clear solution to the Islanders goaltending problems.

Then we get to be reminded of the fact that your defensive group is abysmal other than Leddy and Pulock. You do have Aho and Toews who have some great potential, but again, they won't be ready to be top 4 guys in the NHL for a few years. Your picks this year (likely defensemen) won't be ready for 2-3 years either.

The truth is, if Tavares is resigning, it's because Lou is going to make trades to make the team better. You don't need a top 6C (Tavares/Barzal) and your options of upgrading offensively are limited (Because of Ladd/Clutterbucks contracts) without giving up the space and ability to upgrade behind the blue line.

Islanders need to move their picks for immediate defensive help. No team is moving a starting goaltender, so they need to take a chance on Grubauer (a la Talbot) by moving a 2nd, and they need to move Ladd and Clutterbucks contracts to free up cap space.

Ho-Sang/Eberle/Bellows/Lee/Bailey/Beauvillier should be the islanders top 9 wingers.

Who you want to trade for is your decision and opinion, but there's no question trades NEED to happen.
Isles are trying to trade for 26 yr old Grubs. A clear indication they are not sitting,waiting for 22 yr old Sorokin. Does not mean tkey have given up on Sorokin just that his KHL contract means he cannot be a contributor for the next 2 yrs.

2 yrs ago the isles top 4 was Leddy, Boychuk , CDH and Hamonic.

Going into last season they traded Hamonic, then during the season had CDH miss 1/2 the season and Boychuk misd 18 games. Those 3 players wete replaced by 21-25 year old rookies and sophmores. Only Pulock (32 pts), played well enough among the kids to have earned a bigger role going into this season

Leddy -Boychuk
???????-Pulock

Why is it that nyi fans are saying " we expect Lou to make trades and signings this offseason " , while you act as if nyi fans are saying the opposite?
Just cause your Habs proposal has been rejected does not mean Isles fans are not expecting trades.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Rumors of Subban. But yes, Karlsson is the only substantiated 1D available.

So the only way Ott trades EK is if Ryan is included? I’d suspect if Murray had an offer he couldn’t pass up, Ryan would be negotiable.
rumors that were flatly denied by the gm.

pk is not likely getting traded anytime soon.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What's part of the negotiations? Salary and a competitive team. Islanders have a lot of work to do to improve their D and to find a goalie. I can't see this happening before July 1st. But they do have the 11th and 12th picks to use to acquire solid assets Tavares would like to play with. Problem is he may still walk?

I don't see Salary being the problem. I think Lou has his work cut out for him to improve that back end before July 1st.

11th and 12th for Karlsson would be a good start. Then what goalie could they get?
Lou is 75 and needs to re-sign Tavares, no doubt those picks are in play.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There is no "translation" going on, I am presenting you with unequivocal facts as to why Petry and Pacioretty would be massive upgrades over literally everything currently on your team. If you are too blind or emotional to see that, then god speed but please stop responding to my post.

Well this is one of the most homer driven statements I have ever seen.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
My response if fine. Would be nice if Habs fans could simply accept " nah, doesn't work for the nyi" instead of continuong to make uniformed comments about the nyi organization.

Sure it is fine if you strive to be a complete a-hole, then it is perfectly fitting. Congrats.
Not a Habs fan btw.

You have two prospect goalies and are searching for a NHL level goalie, suggesting the Isles might do something stupid and draft a goalie ..................while sarcastic, isn't uninformed at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad