Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Trade.

How much would Montreal pay for a 1C?

I'd be prepared to offer Price straight up. Both teams get one year of a top player. Add in a conditional pick from each side in the event one side signs their player and the other doesn't.

Montreal then shifts focus on someone like Bishop.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
People need to realize that when a top player has been underpaid for multiple years, the team is more likely to overpay on the next contract. JT has been under paid for years. He knows t. The team knows it. This contract will " give him back" some of the money he has lost thru the years.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
@10Mil a year I think JT can deal with ****** teammates and a crap arena.. Thats like 1.5-2Mil more then any other team will give him (If theyre smart..)

Money is not everything.
8 years on a country club is a big burden.
But Tavares might already be raised to be a country club member only. So many years of Capuano does it. What a waste.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
did you just compare tavares to toews

When Toews signed his deal he was seen as a top 3 player in the NHL by most on here. That deal was what caused so many people to sour on him. Many think he is now over rated when looking at his current body of work for his salary, but at his old salary he was among the best in the NHL.

Same for Tavares, many people view him as a top 10 player. To me, there are a handful of players better than him who don't make that, but if they re-signed their deals today they would.

So in a way, yes. Both are/were seen as good players and the core of their franchise, and people will turn on Tavares if he makes that much and can't bring his team close to a cup during the contract like they are doing with Toews and his two first round exits.

Let's not forger the last 2-3 years Tavares has been garbage for the first half of the year, people make threads asking if he is done, and then he wakes up and goes on a rampage finishing slightly above or below PPG.

If the first 6 month player is making that salary then ouch, if it's the second then it's fair. The question is he is getting older, in his prime, may have already peaked, and they still haven't ever gotten close to a cup.

I personally believe he leaves and signs a slightly friendlier deal to a team closer to a cup with more stability. I am not saying the Leafs as they can't afford him especially as another forward, but with the arena troubles, management's incompetence over his career, inability to give him proper line mates most of the time, etc, it's not unreasonable for him to move on somewhere like the Blues who have the core but need that one piece.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I would LOVE to have him in STL, and he is exactly what we need. But I dont think I would go over 8.5 for him. Toews and Kane was rewarded for brining Cups to Chicago. Its hurting Chicago now, but I would sacrifice a few down years to have 3 Cup banners hanging from the rafters.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
In an ideal world the Islanders owe him money in his next deal after the bargain deal he signed in 2012.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Snow is pretty innovative when it comes to structuring deals so he might offer to front load it to make it more appealing, but it all boils down to ensuring that the Islanders will stay competitive and make strides in the next few years.

After the 2018 season a lot of money comes off the Isles books and that might be the time to restructure the whole of the team. JT of course will have to be happy with the arrangement.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems pretty much as expected.
When is the earliest he can sign?

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
People need to realize that when a top player has been underpaid for multiple years, the team is more likely to overpay on the next contract. JT has been under paid for years. He knows t. The team knows it. This contract will " give him back" some of the money he has lost thru the years.

Exactly. The guy took quite a big discount to help the team. And how was he repaid?

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
that's what happens when a guy takes a pay cut to give his team room to win a Cup, then said team let's it's best players walk instead of paying them. He is the Islanders organization right now, pay him whatever he wants or watch him walk away for nothing.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
The shape of the franchise is what will be the decider for JT. If Snow can sell him on the vision he has for the team going forward JT will sign. Not sure how snow even still has a job but that is a whole different discussion. Personally I feel like he will sign, seems like a loyalty first type dude.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
No need to pay a stupid price when if he really wants to join the leafs he can come as a ufa in a year. I'm also pretty sure he won't ask for 10 x 8 to play where he wants

Are the Leafs in a position to pay him with all of their young players needing new contracts at some point in the next 2 years or so? Tying up something like $8m for a player would really tie their hands down the road and I don't think the salary cap is going to increase enough to help them out.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Snow is pretty innovative when it comes to structuring deals so he might offer to front load it to make it more appealing, but it all boils down to ensuring that the Islanders will stay competitive and make strides in the next few years.

After the 2018 season a lot of money comes off the Isles books and that might be the time to restructure the whole of the team. JT of course will have to be happy with the arrangement.

You can't really be that innovative with structure under the most recent CBA.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't understand why this is news. Max length contract for your franchise player is a given.

There are three direct comps, Toews, Kopitar, Stamkos. High of 10.5, low of 8.5.

I'd say 8x9.5 is about right. A NY Tax adjusted version of the Stamkos deal.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
not sure we want him at all, at $10M. Don't get me wrong great player but we will have our own $10M 1C soon we cant tie up $20M in 2 centers.

Yeah. We don't need Tavares. We went after Stamkos because we had no idea how good Matthews, Marner or Nylander can be. Now we now how good they are and also know it's going to cost a ******** to sign them.

The only free agent the Leafs really want is two years away. All aboard the Doughty train till he eventually ends up re-signing in LA anyways...

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

This times a 1,000

He took a team friendly sweet deal his last contract. I'm surprised we haven't offered him more to be honest.

He had a down year but he'll worth every single penny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad