Post-Game Talk: Island

3 Stars

• Total voters

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
That's cool, it is absurd.

As you said having the same guys play the full two minutes of every powerplay is what I think is absurd, especially when it is not clicking and goes 1 for 6. Icing the rest of your lineup bc you want to just keep running the same players out the whole time is absurd to me, especially when your go to move as a coaching staff is to "assemble kid line" but for some reason you cant keep them engaged in the game by even getting them 1/3rd of the pp time in a game where pp1 is not being efficient or effecting?

Yeah, but I am absurd...

I am referencing the actual stats that were kept...
You complained about ice time allocation in a game where they won. The power play was effective almost every time they were on the ice.

I’m now convinced you just want to be miserable and that’s your choice but try and enjoy some wins!

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Sam mentioned it, so of course it ended.
It's insane they have cut back on the amount of times we play our division rivals. What did they do? Double up trips to the west coast and Canada?

Last edited:

Deleted member 23124

It's insane they have cut back on the amount of times we play our division rivals. What did they do? Double up trips to the west coast and Canada?
Even schedule whereby we play each team the same amount of games. Ridiculous.

Reactions: ohbaby

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Sure is.....tearing the backboards all to pieces LOL.......I think we should have Schneider on PP 2 in his spot . What can it hurt as they likely have a .01 % success rate in their prime 30 seconds body of work .
Trouba did have 6 shots on goal. Even if they aren't going in, they are generating rebounds, though I do wish he would use his wrist shot more.
It's just the way the numbers work with 32 teams and 82 games.

They want every team to play every other team at least twice, one home and one away. So that's 32 games against the western conference. Then they have 3 games against every team in the other division within the conference. That's another 24 games. That leaves 26 division games. 7 x 4 is 28, so we end up playing 2 teams 3 times instead of 4.

That's why they have suggested going to an 84 game schedule, though if they stay at 82, it would make more sense to steal those games from the other division. So we would play all our division rivals 4 times, and then play 6 of the 8 teams in the Atlantic 3 times, and 2 of them 2 times. For a league that wants to promote division rivalries, it's odd that they chose to take those 2 games from the divisional matchups.

Another option would be to play every team outside the division twice. That would be a total of 48 games, leaving 34 games in division. We would then play every team in division 5 times, except one team we would play 4 times.

If they want to cut down on travel, maybe they change it to 1 game per year against the teams in the other conference, with home and away alternating by year. Play the other division 3 times each. That's a total of 40 games, leaving 42 for division games. Teams in division would play each other 6 times.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I would love if they went back to one game against each team in the west instead of 2. Really as a fan do not need to see the Yotes and Sharks twice each. I enjoyed how under the old system each conference felt unique.

But that was apparently something the owners fought for in the last realignment (need McDavid and Crosby in my building at least once a year to sell tickets!) so I doubt it will change.

Reactions: mas0764

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I would love if they went back to one game against each team in the west instead of 2. Really as a fan do not need to see the Yotes and Sharks twice each. I enjoyed how under the old system each conference felt unique.

But that was apparently something the owners fought for in the last realignment (need McDavid and Crosby in my building at least once a year to sell tickets!) so I doubt it will change.

I HATED that though. Ended up playing rivals like 8 times, it's way too much.

Reactions: egelband

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I dont think anyone has a problem with him as a player its more so the fact he should be in the bottom 6, i think he's been great for us, i think he's earning his contract even if thats an unpopular opinion.
I think he should be wherever helps the team at that moment. We want the best team not the best individuals. Sometimes the best team doesn't mean all the best talent playing together on the same lines.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
IMO it's revenue based. the original 6 teams traveling around. They sell tickets and promote engagement

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Play everyone 2 times, and the remaining games are played against your division....seems really easy. Id also revamp the divisions, make a canada one, the rest to build rivals or continue existing ones.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You complained about ice time allocation in a game where they won. The power play was effective almost every time they were on the ice.

I’m now convinced you just want to be miserable and that’s your choice but try and enjoy some wins!
No I don't want to be miserable, I want to use the regular season to help cultivate players to be in better positions to contribute in a playoff run rather than hoping that suddenly during the playoffs players will be ready to step up in case other players are injured or things aren't going exactly to script. This idea that somehow it makes sense to constantly ram PP1 out there constantly and hardly play the second unit as if it's not going to matter in the playoffs is stupid. Last year when Strome got hurt chytil was put out there with PP1 because he was just filling in the same bumper position that strome did, any entire power play disintegrated because chytil actually had no comfort or confidence in the role that he was put out in even though it was his role on the second unit. Part of that is because the second unit never played. It's the same exact situation this year. Guys are going to get hurt, and you need to have your other players ready and familiar to step in to carry the mail when certain guys get hurt. You can accomplish that in November, December, and January. You need to be able to look beyond just the right now if you want to win a championship. You need to look towards how are you positioning your team, roster, and players to be in the best position to contribute when needed in the playoffs. We're not doing that

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Play everyone 2 times, and the remaining games are played against your division....seems really easy. Id also revamp the divisions, make a canada one, the rest to build rivals or continue existing ones.
NHLPA would never let that happen. The travel would be disproportionately hard on the players.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think he should be wherever helps the team at that moment. We want the best team not the best individuals. Sometimes the best team doesn't mean all the best talent playing together on the same lines.
Goodrow getting a handful of games with Panarin and then dropped to the fourth was actually one of the better uses of the “put a grinder up with the top players to jump start some things” I’ve seen in awhile since it also recognized the grinders may get a quick bunch of points they tend to drag the line down over the long run

Reactions: NickyFotiu

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
No I don't want to be miserable, I want to use the regular season to help cultivate players to be in better positions to contribute in a playoff run rather than hoping that suddenly during the playoffs players will be ready to step up in case other players are injured or things aren't going exactly to script. This idea that somehow it makes sense to constantly ram PP1 out there constantly and hardly play the second unit as if it's not going to matter in the playoffs is stupid. Last year when Strome got hurt chytil was put out there with PP1 because he was just filling in the same bumper position that strome did, any entire power play disintegrated because chytil actually had no comfort or confidence in the role that he was put out in even though it was his role on the second unit. Part of that is because the second unit never played. It's the same exact situation this year. Guys are going to get hurt, and you need to have your other players ready and familiar to step in to carry the mail when certain guys get hurt. You can accomplish that in November, December, and January. You need to be able to look beyond just the right now if you want to win a championship. You need to look towards how are you positioning your team, roster, and players to be in the best position to contribute when needed in the playoffs. We're not doing that
The Rangers need to win hockey games. This dilusional take that they “need to develop” players is way off. Would you rather they just put Sammy Blais and Johnny Brod out there on the power play hoping maybe they will develop their skills or would you rather the Rangers score and win games?

The second power play unit is not as effective as the first one! Why would they play just to get better?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I would prefer division rivals 8 times. Really build on that hate.
Playing your rivals too often just waters it down. In an ideal world, you would only play every team twice, including your rivals.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
No matter how the "ideal" schedule lands out, it's just annoying that the Rangers are already done playing the Islanders for the rest of the season. Absolutely no reason for it.

Reactions: egelband and romba

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don’t want more games. I think there should be fewer. But I’d like a few more rivalry matches. I’d be fine with playing the west teams once per year and the east teams 3-4 times and division rivals, like 5 times.

Reactions: CLW and Atax

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I don’t want more games. I think there should be fewer. But I’d like a few more rivalry matches. I’d be fine with playing the west teams once per year and the east teams 3-4 times and division rivals, like 5 times.
Agreed. It feels weird to want less hockey, but if it were up to me I’d trim the season by 10 games.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The Rangers need to win hockey games. This dilusional take that they “need to develop” players is way off. Would you rather they just put Sammy Blais and Johnny Brod out there on the power play hoping maybe they will develop their skills or would you rather the Rangers score and win games?

The second power play unit is not as effective as the first one! Why would they play just to get better?
Who is advocating for blais and brod on pp2? Hyperbolic much? Stick with that bc it's your best strategy.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

I mean sure if you only want to get close for 1-2 years with this older core, sure. You want to be perennial middle of the pack teams then sure. Don’t develop anyone who can’t reach their peak on their own in 2 years. But if you want to be a top 5 team for the next decade, then develop the kids. Truth is you can’t have your cake and eat it with the kids. Either keep them out of the nhl until they are 24. Or bring them up sooner and be okay with growing pains and developing them. Zib was traded far too soon by Ottawa because they grew impatient. The kids who skate like the wind and have high end skills can sometimes develop quicker. But the bigger guys like the Tkachuks and the Hossas take longer. Buchnevich and now Gauthier are all proof that players need to become adults mentally and physically to reach their NHL potential. But development at the NHL level is a harsh reality for most top 5 picks. The fact that you can’t ever send an 18 to the minors is a problem that a younger league needs to solve. Dahlin and Tage Thompson are prime examples of proof that most players take longer to mature especially if forced to do it at the pro level. So I really don’t agree with your logic here. We don’t NEED to win this season. More than half the top 9 and top 4 aren’t even in their prime years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad