Is Zetterberg a Hall of Fame player?

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
i think he belongs

he was probably a top 10 player in the league for about 8 years or so, he was amazing in the playoffs and has a Conn Smythe

better two way game than Toews

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I mean, he's in conversation. Great player at his peak.

I think it'll depend on what year he's entering in because he is more of a fringe candidate if anything. No 100 point seasons will hurt his chances a bit.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's borderline. I think he was a good enough player, but his prime lacks length for someone who doesn't have much in the way of awards. I would feel more confident if his game didn't really start to fall off last year. If he put up another 65+ points last year and this year, and maybe the following year, he starts to look better as a top line player for quite a few years. His excellent playoff record might ultimately be the tipping point for him, but for some reason he seems to get ignored a bit among star players since the lockout and overshadowed by teammates Datsyuk and Lidstrom. If I had a vote, I could go either way. Ultimately, if I was betting on if he got in or not though, I would say no.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
I mean, he's in conversation. Great player at his peak.

I think it'll depend on what year he's entering in because he is more of a fringe candidate if anything. No 100 point seasons will hurt his chances a bit.

are 100 point seasons still important?

since the 2007 -2008 season only crosby, ovechkin, malkin, kane, backstrom, and the sedin's have scored at least 100 points in a season

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How exactly isn't he?

There's some interesting discussion on it here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1988945

Hossa seems to generally be considered ahead, but in terms of point finishes, and scoring relative to the league, they're pretty close, especially when you consider the defensive aspect of some of the teams Elias played for. Their playoff records are similar, but Elias also typically had to carry more of the forward load on his teams. Both were also among the best defensive wingers in the game.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he's borderline.

How many points he can rack up between now and the end of his career will only help his case. I don't see him winning any other individual awards at this point in his career though, but I don't think that really matters much in his case.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I don't think he absolutely needs to be in there, but I think he is deserving and could fit right in.

It's a shame he didn't get much acclaim, even during his peak. I think he was a better defensive player than Datsyuk at his best, and I wish he had a Selke to show for it.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
I think he's one of those guys that just misses out. Very good but not great.

869 career points right now, and 318 goals.

Under a PPG player.

Several guys still waiting to get in with significantly better numbers.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think he is going to get in. A part of this is a popularity contest, a lot of hockey people really like him.

I actually think he was better than Datsyuk, so I would think at some point he is getting in. He also has a good international resume to add onto his history as a big-time playoff producer.

Reactions: Iceman

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'd consider him your classic borderline player.

+ The Hall of Fame is more lenient these days on who they let in

- Zetterberg isn't Canadian. That alone will extend the wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad