Is Your Interest In Hockey Waning?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
And what's wrong with that? The oilers are a passion, just like comic books are to "nerds" as you put it. I've been a fan since their first season in the nhl, i have lived and died with this team for 30+ years, and disappointment is part of being such a passionate fan, but so is elation and that makes it worth it. I'm closing in on 40 and I'm just as big a fan as I was when I was 13 and the oilers had just won their 4th cup. Yes it's disappointing when they lose, but that just makes it that much more gratifying when they do win again.

again, nothing.

Maturity and growing up have nothing do with it, you just reach an age when you realize that sports are nothing more than escapism at its finest, and you can still be a passionate fan all the while being cognizant of the of the important real world issues surrounding us. The oilers have been my team in the sport that I have loved since the first time I ever put on a pair of skates, and they will continue to be so until either, they're not around anymore, or I'm not.

good for you.

cheers.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Lots of great posts in here, sad to see so many affirmative answers. I guess a part of me was hoping for some reasons why we should actually still care or some validation for the hours I spent watching, talking about, and thinking about the Oilers.

This upswelling of fan apathy is probably good for the org in the long run tho, if their ability to sell tickets to ****** games is fading then maybe some obvious changes will be forced into action.

Cheers!

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I love the people who say they are nearly done with the Oilers but still posts about the Oilers on a daily basis.

its a paradox, no doubt. I love following and discussing the Oilers. I'm just not entertained by the actually hockey; passtime that has been, arguably, the single most time-spent activity of my life. And, as a result, I have discovered that the Oilkings are as intriging as the Oilers.

I will always follow them, but the 'diehard' label is gone. If they are not worth watching, I will happily changed the channel and no longer reserve game-nite for the Oilers. Other options may very will win the day this year.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
its a paradox, no doubt. I love following and discussing the Oilers. I'm just not entertained by the actually hockey; passtime that has been, arguably, the single most time-spent activity of my life. And, as a result, I have discovered that the Oilkings are as intriging as the Oilers.

I will always follow them, but the 'diehard' label is gone. If they are not worth watching, I will happily changed the channel and no longer reserve game-nite for the Oilers. Other options may very will win the day this year.

You decided this when the team is on the brink of turn-around, and able to field a competitive team?

When the team starts winning you'll be 12 again.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
You decided this when the team is on the brink of turn-around, and able to field a competitive team?

When the team starts winning you'll be 12 again.

you are sure about this are you?

Its not about deciding. Its about self discovery. I didn't choose to find the Oilers unentertaining. I didn't choose to pull my hair out by the 10 minute mark of every game.

The Oilers stopped being entertaining, and I had an epiphany. Namely: why watch something that makes you mad and frustrated and that something never fires the problem?
Sorry, but being able to call myself a 'diehard' is not worth watching games alone because my family can't stand being around me when I watch the Oilers. I was an angry, ornory, grumpy, bi-otch last year. It's shear stupidity to continue to do it.

When the team starts winning again? How about when the organization starts 'trying' to win again. When they decide that the season they are actually playing in is worth competing in, I might have enough respect for them to take them seriously.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I've been less interested. Not buying any tickets this year. 72bucks minimum price? lol. Gone up 15bucks after a disaster of a season? This org is worthy of contempt.

Its unlike me but I've been missing games with both the OIlers and Esks. Didn't watch the BOA because it was a foregone conclusion with Nichols in.

So I'm getting selective. I'm once again asking questions like is it worth the time watching? Do I have something better to do? The Oilers have been a pretty hard team to like. Most of the players I do like get traded so less connection that way as well.

I'll watch, and remain a fan but no doubt I'm less invested in watching all the games. Used to watch all the games and it wasn't even a decision, it was automatic.

I do find I'm watching more Soccer. Course it was a WC year but also the WU20, Euro qualifying, Euro games, even watching MLS which is a better standard then people may think. Actually enjoy watching the MLS brand of game. I find FC Edmonton pretty ****** to watch. Got into that team for a few years and I just don't like the brand of ball now. Again a case where they moved my favorite players. Just haven't reconnected at all with the new lineup. Or Clarke park which I hate.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
My interest in closely following the Oilers day-to-day has definitely waned but I'm still interested in hockey. For me the Oil Kings and Golden Bears have been a godsend during this down era for the Oilers.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Nope, ready for the season to start. Bring on the **** show

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I have not missed any games. After a terrible game I tend not to listen to 1260 for a day just to avoid the negativity. However I might be getting a custom to losing, I want and expect the oilers to finish at or slightly above .500 and am always looking at next years draft picks. I blame the oilers for giving me lowe expectations!

One thing I will say is loving a bad team has grown my love for the GAME as I now know a S&#T tonne more about minor leagues and prospects. I even enjoy watching ajhl games. If oilers where always 7-10 in the west I doubt I ever would have watched any hockey other than NHL. Plus oilers rebuild brought me top this site!!

dobiezeke*

I've been less interested. Not buying any tickets this year. 72bucks minimum price? lol. Gone up 15bucks after a disaster of a season? This org is worthy of contempt.

Its unlike me but I've been missing games with both the OIlers and Esks. Didn't watch the BOA because it was a foregone conclusion with Nichols in.

So I'm getting selective. I'm once again asking questions like is it worth the time watching? Do I have something better to do? The Oilers have been a pretty hard team to like. Most of the players I do like get traded so less connection that way as well.

I'll watch, and remain a fan but no doubt I'm less invested in watching all the games. Used to watch all the games and it wasn't even a decision, it was automatic.

I do find I'm watching more Soccer. Course it was a WC year but also the WU20, Euro qualifying, Euro games, even watching MLS which is a better standard then people may think. Actually enjoy watching the MLS brand of game. I find FC Edmonton pretty ****** to watch. Got into that team for a few years and I just don't like the brand of ball now. Again a case where they moved my favorite players. Just haven't reconnected at all with the new lineup. Or Clarke park which I hate.

You claim disinterest yet post on a hockey board regularly. Bizarre...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yup. :laugh:

I hate this ****in' team, but they're my ****in' team.

lol. that's one way of looking at it. I've certainly been there.

Who am I kidding really (myself). I'll probably end up watching at least 80% of the games. I just might not make it to thru the whole game. Its just too much of lifelong pasttime to just stop watching (tho, I tell myself I'd like too)

and, who knows. they might be watchable this year. they should be better than last year. Surely to god last November was rock bottom, no?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
you are sure about this are you?

Its not about deciding. Its about self discovery. I didn't choose to find the Oilers unentertaining. I didn't choose to pull my hair out by the 10 minute mark of every game.

The Oilers stopped being entertaining, and I had an epiphany. Namely: why watch something that makes you mad and frustrated and that something never fires the problem?
Sorry, but being able to call myself a 'diehard' is not worth watching games alone because my family can't stand being around me when I watch the Oilers. I was an angry, ornory, grumpy, bi-otch last year. It's shear stupidity to continue to do it.

When the team starts winning again? How about when the organization starts 'trying' to win again. When they decide that the season they are actually playing in is worth competing in, I might have enough respect for them to take them seriously.

Amen brother. I stopped being so invested in the Oilers when I became a new dad in 2007. As an Oilers fan I was too volatile, and I owed my family far better. I can't really imagine a kid watching his dad throwing fits at a tv while ignoring him. So it's basement hockey or toys or something else, and the game on in the background.

I also don't have an issue with withholding my financial support of this Oilers "entertainment empire" and its monopolistic media partners. With hockeystreams I can watch whichever games I want; I can watch the game later using their "PVR" feature, or simply switch to a better game if I want to be entertained. And a lot of the frustration of being a fan goes away when you're not paying to support a team that fails on purpose and gouges every dollar they can out of their fanbase.
$70 plus ticketmaster fees for the cheapest walk-up ticket is ludicrous. My god, people - spend $20 on a ticket to the Oil Kings if you want decent entertainment. Part of me thinks that the Oilers org raised the single ticket prices to fool the STHers into thinking that they're getting some sort of massive discount. $70+ for bleeders to watch the league's worst team. Holy shih-tzu.
Rant over, feeling fine.

Last edited:

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
Yes, since the last lockout and the overall crummy-ness of the Oilers the last few years, my interest in hockey is at a all time low. I still watch in the winter because basketball and NFL football hold zero interest to me, but right now my sports mind is purely on baseball.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Amen brother. I stopped being so invested in the Oilers when I became a new dad in 2007. As an Oilers fan I was too volatile, and I owed my family far better. I can't really imagine a kid watching his dad throwing fits at a tv while ignoring him. So it's basement hockey or toys or something else, and the game on in the background.

I also don't have an issue with withholding my financial support of this Oilers "entertainment empire" and its monopolistic media partners. With hockeystreams I can watch whichever games I want; I can watch the game later using their "PVR" feature, or simply switch to a better game if I want to be entertained. And a lot of the frustration of being a fan goes away when you're not paying to support a team that fails on purpose and gouges every dollar they can out of their fanbase.
$70 plus ticketmaster fees for the cheapest walk-up ticket is ludicrous. My god, people - spend $20 on a ticket to the Oil Kings if you want decent entertainment. Part of me thinks that the Oilers org raised the single ticket prices to fool the STHers into thinking that they're getting some sort of massive discount. $70+ for bleeders to watch the league's worst team. Holy shih-tzu.
Rant over, feeling fine
Yep 72bucks for a row 53 ticket or standing room ticket. Lowest prices in the building. For most games these are singles at that. Tickets that used to go for half price.

I get that the Oilers figure they can charge this and that they can. I question whether they should.
Several people will cry free enterprise and the Oil can charge whatever they like and that's what the market brings yada yada.
Of course its a lie. A heavily public subsidied upcoming brand new arena is causing STH's to hold rather than fold tolerating the present team long enough to get in the new building.

I'll mention something too. A couple years ago when I was saying minimum Oiler ticket pricing at the new arena would be +100 bucks people were saying I was bat**** crazy. Maybe the Oil throw some cheap seat configurations in there just for optics but the newer build is heavily leveraged to high priced tickets.

The justification to attend Oiler games two years from now will be even worse. If anything I lowballed the amount it would cost to go.

I'll just say no.

dobiezeke*

Yep 72bucks for a row 53 ticket or standing room ticket. Lowest prices in the building. For most games these are singles at that. Tickets that used to go for half price.

I get that the Oilers figure they can charge this and that they can. I question whether they should.
Several people will cry free enterprise and the Oil can charge whatever they like and that's what the market brings yada yada.
Of course its a lie. A heavily public subsidied upcoming brand new arena is causing STH's to hold rather than fold tolerating the present team long enough to get in the new building.

I'll mention something too. A couple years ago when I was saying minimum Oiler ticket pricing at the new arena would be +100 bucks people were saying I was bat**** crazy. Maybe the Oil throw some cheap seat configurations in there just for optics but the newer build is heavily leveraged to high priced tickets.

The justification to attend Oiler games two years from now will be even worse. If anything I lowballed the amount it would cost to go.

I'll just say no.

How does the cost of a ticket dictate whether a person is a fan of the Oilers? Your post just reads as someone who is not a fan and looks for any reason to bash the organization. There are 18000 people that attend the games who apparently have no issue with the ticket price.

Yet you still continue to post on a board that is dedicated to the Oilers/NHL. Why? I am not saying you shouldn't - I am just curious why you still waste your time on a subject you have stated you have no interest in.

I love the Oilers - rookie games have me pumped. Can't wait to spend 100 bucks on my ticket in October.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How does the cost of a ticket dictate whether a person is a fan of the Oilers? Your post just reads as someone who is not a fan and looks for any reason to bash the organization. There are 18000 people that attend the games who apparently have no issue with the ticket price.

Yet you still continue to post on a board that is dedicated to the Oilers/NHL. Why? I am not saying you shouldn't - I am just curious why you still waste your time on a subject you have stated you have no interest in.

I love the Oilers - rookie games have me pumped. Can't wait to spend 100 bucks on my ticket in October.

Where did I state I have no interest? Where?

This is simply you misconstruing what others post.

Sorry but your reading is consistently seriously off the mark of what people are stating. Plus that the thread title is "Is your interest in hockey waning" Look up the word waning if uncertain what it means.

Absolutely I'm not buying tickets this year. Another cashgrab by the team has deterred me from that. I bought 12 tickets last year, no big deal, but I just can't justify paying this. Not at all because I can't but I'd rather put it elsewhere. Of the 6 games we went to last year a few of them started feeling obligatory. Kind of like you got the tickets, you should use them, despite the season being realistically over.

I'm an Oiler fan, but I'm a fan of the ********* team in the league. To find positivity in that is tough. Kudos I guess to those that can do it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm an Oiler fan, but I'm a fan of the ********* team in the league. To find positivity in that is tough. Kudos I guess to those that can do it.

Having followed the team for 32 seasons myself (I know you've seen more ;) ), I'm a little envious of the wide-eyed wonder that some fans display on this forum. Must be so nice - I remember feeling that way in the 80s, it was euphoric, but there was a reason to be excited.

Buying an Oilers ticket nowadays is like buying a lottery ticket. It might just hit (I saw a third period Taylor Hall hat trick a few years ago), it might have a decent payoff (sloppy win, close loss), but most often you chuck the stub while filing out of Rexall, head down. Habit forming but depressing.

Ogopogo*

Yes. I grew up in the 70s and 80s when hockey was exciting and creativity was encouraged. In those days, you could watch any two NHL teams play and be entertained, the players' skills were on display.

Today, players have become robots. Check, check, check, system, system, system. Players like Ovechkin would have been celebrated like Guy Lafleur and Mike Bossy were. Today, Ovechkin is bashed because he isn't defensive enough. The guy scores 50 goals - that is what a good forward should do! Huge goaltending equipment has snuffed out many scoring chances as well. The game is too defensive, too robotic, too boring on many nights.

I still love the Oilers and watch a lot of their games but, I only watched about two games in last years' playoffs. I find it hard to get excited about the brand of hockey we have today and if the Oilers (or Oil Kings) are not playing it is tough to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad