Is Your Interest In Hockey Waning?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
A couple lockout seasons where I was finding other things to do aside from hockey, plus a few years of finding other things to do besides watching these guys play have left me feeling like more of a casual fan than a diehard.
When I first became a fan there wan no internet and there were only 3 channels on TV, plus I was out in rural Alberta with not much else to do on a winter night.
A bevy of other entertainment choices, family responsibilities and the pathetic state of the mgmt group has taken a large bit out of my time for/interest in the game.
I could see myself being happy watching 5 or 6 games this year.
I didn't even know they had teddy Purcell and the other guy on the third line (not pouliot, the other guy).
How do you guys feel about the oil?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I often tune into other games, or video games, or just other things.

Same goes for the Esks. Barely watched any of the B2B because I knew they'd lose both of them.

There's not much of a story to watch when you already know the ending.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Not really. I'm getting more excited about the future. The only way it'll truly wane for me is if they move someone important for a horrendous deal or more ridiculous cronyism happens.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I lost interest in hockey between the ages of 15 and 22 or so, I started really watching again in about 2003. Even though I played that entire time, I probably on average watched about 2 hours of tv a week back then. Now that I don't drink and party any more, I have the time to sit back and watch games. Now a days, Saturdays are the greatest thing on the planet most weeks, I usually get to watch a UFC card, and an Oilers game. Much more relaxing then the headache of being out at a bar.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I have a ridiculously unhealthy passion for hockey. But last year watching the oilers really hurt my love for hockey. It should cheesy but I just started to care less about watching the team, and in turn watched less hockey. That has never happened in my life so hopefully I come back strong this year. All i know is I can't force it. If the oilers play meaningful hockey, I will be glued to the tv

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
It's called growing up, becoming more mature and having other priorities.
Also all the crap going on in the ME, Iraq, Syria, Ukraine, etc. Keeping up with what our tyrannical federal government is up to. It's tough to fully swallow the bread and circus show anymore.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hockey lost interest for me during the clutch and grab years, also known as the Ryan Smyth years in Edmonton.

Since they have gotten rid of that garbage and I started joining Fantasy hockey leagues my interest skyrocketed. Hockey is so much better when you have more reasons to watch other teams than just the Oilers.

With the Oilers sucking so bad my interest in the team is waning a bit but I still watch every game, just typically in fast forward mode on my PVR.

So up a lot compared to certain time periods but down a bit from last years debacle.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I think after this amount of time and this amount of suck, if I'm still a hardcore fan I always will be. My interest is always the same, every year is a new year and despite our team sucking I am interested in just about every aspect of this organization. It gets hard near the end to watch a game straight through but I usually tune in to see Hall and RNH etc, I like to follow certain players development. This team could lose every year and I would still watch, just a huge fan I guess I don't even know. Some of my first memories in life are watching Oilers with family growing up.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
For me it wanes because the Oilers are terrible. Won't cheer for any other team, but it makes the NHL product far less engaging.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
I have a ridiculously unhealthy passion for hockey. But last year watching the oilers really hurt my love for hockey. It should cheesy but I just started to care less about watching the team, and in turn watched less hockey. That has never happened in my life so hopefully I come back strong this year. All i know is I can't force it. If the oilers play meaningful hockey, I will be glued to the tv

This is how I feel... Still play, always will, but... Last year did something to a part of my hockey-soul.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The only hockey I really like is the high level international competitions that Canada participates in. The Oilers frustrate me so much that I often lose interest during the season.

Comic Book Guy*

It's been a blessing and a curse having the Oilers this bad. Before the "rebuild" I followed hockey like a religion. Over the past 3 years, I felt like I just lost all passion I had for the sport. I tell everyone that I'm NOT a hockey fan -- i'm strictly an Oilers fan. I started following other sports and became a Raptor's fan and Patriots fans. It hasn't been that bad. I was so hyped with the rest of Canada following the Raptor's "Northern Uprising". And with the Pats... well, they are a model of success.

One day, I hope to regain my moxy and be strictly an Oiler fan again. I used to be able to recount stats for the most random Oilers ever. Now, i'm not even sure who's on their farm team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not really. I'm getting more excited about the future. The only way it'll truly wane for me is if they move someone important for a horrendous deal or more ridiculous cronyism happens.

This. I put my time in, sat through the worst seasons in franchise history and one of the worst stretches in professional sports history without jumping bandwagons and still remaining a fan of the team if not the management. I'm not jumping off now that an upswing is in sight. I've invested too much emotionally :laugh:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm a bit of a contradiction in that while I'm finding myself watching less games on TV, I find myself even more emotionally invested in the team.

I think that's why the TV watching has been toned down, these past 5+ years have been bad for my health and good temper. :help:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I've actually had my interest in hockey grow ever since we've been terrible.

I swear that experiencing a rebuild like this makes you into a student of the game. When you cheer for a winner it's more about focusing on simple objectives like making the playoffs or winning the cup. For a loser? You dissect players individually and assess their growth, and you try to see signs of development everywhere, and take all factors into account

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
Yes and no.

On the one hand, I still support my teams. I've got my memorabilia and various articles of clothing. I visit HFboards, I keep up to date on current hockey news, I'm subscribed to /r/EdmontonOilers and /r/hockey on ****** and love the discussions.

On the other hand, last year I watched the fewest number of games in over a decade. When the Oilers **** the bed once again, I found other hobbies that were more conductive towards a positive attitude. I'm apparently a sucker for punishment, but I can only take a beating for so long.

We'll see what happens this year.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
My interest in hockey isn't waning.

My interest in giving the Edmonton Oilers any of my money as a token of my support for the team is certainly waning.

dobiezeke*

A couple lockout seasons where I was finding other things to do aside from hockey, plus a few years of finding other things to do besides watching these guys play have left me feeling like more of a casual fan than a diehard.
When I first became a fan there wan no internet and there were only 3 channels on TV, plus I was out in rural Alberta with not much else to do on a winter night.
A bevy of other entertainment choices, family responsibilities and the pathetic state of the mgmt group has taken a large bit out of my time for/interest in the game.
I could see myself being happy watching 5 or 6 games this year.
I didn't even know they had teddy Purcell and the other guy on the third line (not pouliot, the other guy).
How do you guys feel about the oil?

I feel the same about the Oilers as I did watching their first game in the NHL. I cheered loudly for the team when they knocked out the Canadiens in the first round. I basked in the glory of the Oiler domination of the 80's living in Calgary and cursed the TV when Steve Smith had his moment. I continued to watch the team through the lean years of the 90's praying that we wouldn't lose our team. I was absolutely pumped when they went to the Cup in 2006 and will always remember where I was when they lost game seven. I have endured the piss poor management of the team under the thumb of Lowe and pray for the day he sets sail. I have watched MacT lead a team as a coach, lose a team as a coach and come back to see him make significant changes to the team. I have enjoyed watching the first picks play to their potential and thrown soft objects at the TV when this same group looked like they were out for an afternoon skate on the pond with there moms. I have gone into each season discussing with my cousin who I think will have an impact and looking forward to the season through rose colored glasses only to have the Oilers knock them off my face by their horrid play.

I am an Oilers fan...love me, hate me. This team helps me get through the horrendous Canadian winter year after year. I still travel to Edmonton and the States just to be disappointed watching this team play...and will continue to do so.

My wife and daughter think I'm nuts...perhaps they are correct.

And I do have other aspects of my life that don't allow me to watch every game live and I thank the person who developed PVR.

What I will never understand is the "fans" that come on internet boards who year after year do nothing but complain about the team. It's a game. One team wins - one team loses. One team wins the Cup. I enjoy those who bring constructive criticism to the discussion however don't understand why those who do nothing but complain continue to feign interest in the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I am also a Bruins fan so I have a hockey fan side of me where i love entertaining hockey...

That being said...last year the Oilers were anything but entertaining. They were one of the most boring teams to watch. They were all around pathetic.

I found myself cheering for the flames because they played all out.

I support good entertaining competitive hockey.

Some people are addicted to a brand. I can dump the brand if it sucks. Its never the losing. I started being a die hard when i was a kid in the mid nineetys and experienced the high of CUJos first game where you could see we turned a corner. Losing is not going to make me lose interest, playing boring hockey will make me drop you in an instant.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I've actually had my interest in hockey grow ever since we've been terrible.

I swear that experiencing a rebuild like this makes you into a student of the game. When you cheer for a winner it's more about focusing on simple objectives like making the playoffs or winning the cup. For a loser? You dissect players individually and assess their growth, and you try to see signs of development everywhere, and take all factors into account

I think this is where alot of people get attached and become big fans of a team. When you feel like you know all the players and their battles...you become part of that battle and emotionally invested. I definitely felt that in the 90s and i do love this team...but if you start play boring hockey, i leave.

They get a fresh sheet of ice for the year and i hope they make it count. Last year was the first year since i started watching hockey that i couldnt look at them. Looking at them was like looking at a obese five year old fed a jumbo fries and jumbo gravy. One glance is enough to tell you its disgusting and to not look again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad