Is Weber a Good Captain?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
yes he was a great captain. weber is not.

two different situations, time frames, ect. if you think no one remembers that offer sheet, you're crazy. i would say more than half of fans hold a grudge against weber even if slight. and on top of that the teams play has been crap ever since. or maybe suter was the better defenseman.

If Weber was the captain of...say....Anaheim, and he signed the same offer sheet with Philly, what would be some good reasonings as to why he shouldn't have done that?

Personally I couldn't care less about him signing the offer sheet. He has every right to do whatever he damn well pleases, because even though we're huge Preds fans, the Preds are what? A business. What is Weber? An employee, and a great one. If something he does goes against our fandom, tough luck. He's with us and I'm glad, but to hold a grudge for that reason is downright naive and silly.

Just like it's naive and silly to genuinely still hate on Suter for making a decision that he though best benefited his professional and personal life. It's just dumb at a certain point.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
If Weber was the captain of...say....Anaheim, and he signed the same offer sheet with Philly, what would be some good reasonings as to why he shouldn't have done that?

Personally I couldn't care less about him signing the offer sheet. He has every right to do whatever he damn well pleases, because even though we're huge Preds fans, the Preds are what? A business. What is Weber? An employee, and a great one. If something he does goes against our fandom, tough luck. He's with us and I'm glad, but to hold a grudge for that reason is downright naive and silly.
i don't disagree with you much but damn.. i disagree with every bit of that post lol. i think we trade weber in the next 2-3 years. all it takes is weber going to poile and saying he wants out like erat. weber was more than content to leave once. his play this year has been piss poor too. what is he a -10 ?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
i don't disagree with you much but damn.. i disagree with every bit of that post lol. i think we trade weber in the next 2-3 years. all it takes is weber going to poile and saying he wants out like erat. weber was more than content to leave once. his play this year has been piss poor too. what is he a -10 ?
Funny because I disagree with a lot you say, and this is no different....

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
yes [Sakic] was a great captain. weber is not.
It's easier to be a great captain when you are playing with the likes of Forseberg, Borque, Blake, Hejduk, Tanguagy, etc.

Who knows on Weber. You'd have to go spend a few weeks in the locker room, riding on planes, going to meetings, staying in the hotel with the guys, eating meals together, to get more of sense of his leadership.

What I do know is Poile missed a great opportunity to sign him after he was named captain. Weber said he wanted to work out a long term deal. Poile said "call him old-fashioon but he prefers to do contract negotiations face to face with his agent". He rested on his laurels and then Weber changed agents.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It's easier to be a great captain when you are playing with the likes of Forseberg, Borque, Blake, Hejduk, Tanguagy, etc.

Who knows on Weber. You'd have to go spend a few weeks in the locker room, riding on planes, going to meetings, staying in the hotel with the guys, eating meals together, to get more of sense of his leadership.

What I do know is Poile missed a great opportunity to sign him after he was named captain. Weber said he wanted to work out a long term deal. Poile said "call him old-fashioon but he prefers to do contract negotiations face to face with his agent". He rested on his laurels and then Weber changed agents.
dulz is right on this.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Just out of curiosity, what do you disagree with so much? I was just asking what was so wrong with him signing the offer sheet? And yeah I saw that you may not want to chalk it up to the business aspect of things, but in my mind that's what it is. He's an elite defenseman in his prime, signing his one major long-term contract so what's the issue? (outside of being a Preds fan and not liking how it comes across of course.....which is why I used the Anaheim/random team theory).

Yeah he hasn't played like his normal self but there's good and bad and ups and downs. As a whole, this team is definitely in the midst of a bad and down. He's the one shouldering much of the responsibilty for a predominantly inexperienced/outmanned defensive corps.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I waited awhile as I needed to think and see the thoughts others posted. I have mixed feelings, honestly. I do think it is very hard to judge how good a captain he is without a behind the scenes perspective. Maybe he is doing everything he should in the locker room and with the players one on one but they are just not gelling, or some of them have tuned him out.

My concern is in public Shea is not very natural about speaking publicly on behalf of the team-- what if he has this same tendency behind closed doors, only leads by example and does not exhort or scream or throw things when that is called for. I know there are other guys in the room (especially now) who have leadership qualities, but if they fear to step on Shea's toes, it could create an awkward dynamic where everyone is waiting on Shea to step up and he does not think he needs to say anything. Perhaps I oversimplify, but my point is-- We have had a full season and now part of another where the team has been by all accounts sub-par overall. This is a team that should be able to gut out more wins by grit alone, but it is not happening. When you enter that phase you question the leadership, including the captain. Maybe he is not the best guy for it. Maybe too conflicted trying to mentor, stay out of the box, represent the team to the officials, face of the franchise, etc. Maybe he can't be the player we all admired with this role on top of all that. There is no shame in that. Except how do you take it back now.

AEM6729

Mar 1, 2010
Nashville
I am not in the locker room so I don't know, but I agree Weber needs to get angry and take things personally. He doesn't stand up for his teammates a lot, but whenever something happens to him, watch out!

That's what bothers me about Shea too. Every once in awhile he'll go beast mode to defend a teammate, but it's rare. But if you do something to him personally, ohhh hell no. Here comes Angry Shea! It kinda bothers me that he doesn't defend his teammates with the same nastiness that he uses to defend himself.

I have no idea if he's a good captain or not. All I know is Angry Shea is the best Shea, and we don't see him enough.

jhoops89

R.I.P. Thrashers
Mar 14, 2012
I think he is. There are other possible players on the Preds who could wear the "C" but for now I think it's Weber's to keep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad