Is Weber a Good Captain?

nashpreds

Sep 13, 2008
Toronto
Look, I know how incredibly respected the guy is and how great he may be on the ice, but is he truly a good captain for this team? Can all the blame be placed on Trotz and Poile? I'm curious to hear everybody's thoughts.

Bushleaguer

Oct 29, 2013
I'm still in the boat of Weber not really wanting to be in Nashville, so for that reason alone I don't feel like he's a good captain. The day he signed that offer sheet was the day he ceased being my favorite Pred, and a player I wouldn't at all be sad to see moved away. I don't care what people say about the fact he knew Poile would most likely match it, i think it speaks volumes to where his loyalty truly lies ($$). Not traits I especially look for in a leader.

I still have to wonder how that impacted the locker room too. Your leader shows he is willing to walk away, to the point of actually signing a deal with another team. You can't tell me that his position in the locker room wasn't impacted by that. I know I'd look at him differently.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I'm still in the boat of Weber not really wanting to be in Nashville, so for that reason alone I don't feel like he's a good captain. The day he signed that offer sheet was the day he ceased being my favorite Pred, and a player I wouldn't at all be sad to see moved away. I don't care what people say about the fact he knew Poile would most likely match it, i think it speaks volumes to where his loyalty truly lies ($$). Not traits I especially look for in a leader.

I still have to wonder how that impacted the locker room too. Your leader shows he is willing to walk away, to the point of actually signing a deal with another team. You can't tell me that his position in the locker room wasn't impacted by that. I know I'd look at him differently.

I'm with you. I don't think he wanted to be here and that he thought Nashville would not be able to match such a crazy offer sheet. But he is always been a professional and is getting paid millions and millions of dollars to play hockey. He will fulfill his commitments as set forth by his contract and will play good hockey. But I think that's where it ends for him.

I look at a player like Josi or Horny who expressed a desire to stay here and make this a better team, and signed the dotted line. Guys like them need to be looked at for leadership of this team.

Weber's 'C' is a PR gimmick because he is the most marketable product the Predators can put out there for the casual fan. He can be counted on for a bland cliched soundbite that this softball local media eats up. Norris finalist, booming shot that can rip nets, all-star, highest-paid player on the team, etc. is the perfect image for the Nashville Predators as a business trying to remain relevant in this city and state. For me however the 'C' on his sweater is nothing but a letter taking up space.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
This is difficult to evaluate because we only ever see weber on the ice and we don't know how he leads in the locker room or at practice/team functions which is where it really matters. The question is does his lack of really effort on the ice translate to lack of effort everywhere else or is the team just getting deflated by poor play on the ice and letting in poor goals?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Maybe he's not a good captain because he's not allowed to be Angry Shea Weber. If he played with any sort of edge or mean streak the team would follow his lead. I know they don't want him taking stupid penalties but I can live with a few penalties if it means the overall good of the team is elevated.

I know this will sound extreme but I would pull nose hairs or slap the sac a few times really hard before the game to tick him off. Get him mad so when he hits the ice, he's an angry bull, not a broken horse.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
See Joe Sakic. Did it effect him in Colorado?

Just for giggles, tell me how that went. I seem to remember it working out alright. Sakic is the avalanche. He was back then and is now. Never heard one bad thing about him.

I am not in the locker room so I don't know, but I agree Weber needs to get angry and take things personally. He doesn't stand up for his teammates a lot, but whenever something happens to him, watch out!

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I look at a player like Josi or Horny who expressed a desire to stay here and make this a better team, and signed the dotted line. Guys like them need to be looked at for leadership of this team.

I'd put Klein and Rinne in that mix too.
Well said.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I am not in the locker room so I don't know, but I agree Weber needs to get angry and take things personally. He doesn't stand up for his teammates a lot, but whenever something happens to him, watch out!

Last year he was the only one to take on the likes of Jared Boll and the guy in Chicago. (can't remember who)
With that kind of money tied up in Weber, not sure it's smart for him to be doing that on a routine basis.
We brought in the sandpaper guys to take over that role.

Angry Weber, yes please. I see less passion than usual so far. Just trying to put things in perspective though.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Last year he was the only one to take on the likes of Jared Boll and the guy in Chicago. (can't remember who)
With that kind of money tied up in Weber, not sure it's smart for him to be doing that on a routine basis.
We brought in the sandpaper guys to take over that role.

Angry Weber, yes please. I see less passion than usual so far. Just trying to put things in perspective though.

I'm not talking about fighting, I'm talking about bone jarring hits that wakes up his team if need be. I'm talking about taking an attitude to the ice every single shift that makes the other team cringe if he gets near them because they're in fear of him leveling them. That's what I want.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I'm not talking about fighting, I'm talking about bone jarring hits that wakes up his team if need be. I'm talking about taking an attitude to the ice every single shift that makes the other team cringe if he gets near them because they're in fear of him leveling them. That's what I want.

Absolutely agree. Been awhile since I've seen it........

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

Kinda like Buff did to Smith 3 times in a game?? No reason he is not doing that everyshift to whoever is on the ice. Other teams skate into the Preds zone with reckless abandonment and only worry about reaching poke checks

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
To do that, he has to take a risk each time, do you think Josi last season and Jones this season might be the reason he's not as comfortable playing that type of game?

It could be or it could be when the Preds get physical with other teams the penalties start flying. Has anyone else noticed that?

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
To do that, he has to take a risk each time, do you think Josi last season and Jones this season might be the reason he's not as comfortable playing that type of game?

this is my thought for sure; we have an awfully young D and he's kinda' busy bringing them along and having to play a little extra-aware to cover and I think it maybe takes a bit of edge outta' his game cause he's not looking to make bone-jarring hits that might take him away from the play.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
short answer, no. he's a bad captain. don't care what anyone says, but no one will ever forget the offer sheet with Philly and the handicap he put on this franchise. its just businesses yada yada yada

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
is joe sakic a good captain? he signed an offer sheet.

yes he was a great captain. weber is not.

two different situations, time frames, ect. if you think no one remembers that offer sheet, you're crazy. i would say more than half of fans hold a grudge against weber even if slight. and on top of that the teams play has been crap ever since. or maybe suter was the better defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad