Is USA a stronger junior country than Canada?

Is USA a stronger junior country than Canada

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
USA has been dominant in juniors for quite a while now.

Based on what? Last 5 world junior tournaments 2 were won by Finland, 2 by Canada and 1 by US.

Under 18 last 5, two by Finland, 2 by us, 1 by Sweden. A tournament Canada never dominated at since the CHL is still playing and players aren't released for.

2018 NHL junior draft, 33% Canadian, 24% American. 2017 junior draft, 37% Canadian, 21% American.

Where's the US domination? What metric?

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Based on what? Last 5 world junior tournaments 2 were won by Finland, 2 by Canada and 1 by US.

Under 18 last 5, two by Finland, 2 by us, 1 by Sweden. A tournament Canada never dominated at since the CHL is still playing and players aren't released for.

Where's the US domination?
GvD5FKa.png

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
USA has been dominant in juniors for quite a while now.
Since 2010 in the U20 World Championships:

Russia: 1 Gold Medal, 3 Silver Medals, 4 Bronze Medals = 8 medals
USA: 3 Gold Medals, 1 Silver Medal, 3 Bronze Medals = 7 medals
Canada: 2 Gold Medals, 3 Silver Medals, 1 Bronze Medal = 6 medals
Sweden: 1 Gold Medal, 3 Silver Medals, 1 Bronze Medal = 5 medals
Finland: 3 Gold Medals, 0 Silver Medals, 0 Bronze Medals = 3 medals

So, the USA is tied for the most gold medals with Finland, and is 2nd in total medals to Russia (who only has one gold, though). I think the medals certainly help prove your point. This is not even discussing the U18 World Championships, where Team USA has earned medals for 15 consecutive years.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This has been the case for a while, in my opinion. Canada's juniors have been very disappointing after the 2015 draft. 2020 draft will be good for them, though.

Reactions: Vesperia

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

So your metric is the under 18 world championship? A tournament Canada doesn't send its best team to cause of the CHL. Ok there. Using that metric Canada has never been dominant in junior hockey since they've never dominated that tournament, for the aforementioned reason.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I just want to know how Finland is doing it. Seems like they just produce nothing but top players, it's unbelievable.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014

So, the USA is tied for the most gold medals with Finland, and is 2nd in total medals to Russia (who only has one gold, though). I think the medals certainly help prove your point. This is not even discussing the U18 World Championships, where Team USA has earned medals for 15 consecutive years.
Canada has the most finals tho

For the question honestly USA is so big and hockey is just gettin bigger it’s only a matter of time before USA dominates like most sports.

Reactions: BruinsFan37

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Nor should the U18 be counted, The US is the only country that sends a full time national team.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
No. The US has a lot less players playing in the NHL that could be on the U20 teams every year and the U18s play during the CHL playoffs. They're not there yet and that. The gap is closing though.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
To overtake, it would have to be sustained over a long period of time, much longer than it's even been debatably close. Nations go through development spurts, remember the Czechs in the 90's, or how Finland used to be a goalie factory?

Canada was in a valley, and will be climbing a peak again in the coming years.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Pure talent wise, no.
But as far as developing their talent, they've made a massive push over last few years.
Eventually I think can catch up in talent. But the development program that they have is what's most important.
As far as the teams they send to junior tournaments, they actually might be slightly ahead of Canada.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I never really thought about this and that would make a huge difference for sure. Thanks for sharing as it's a great fact to realize when watching the Canadian U18 team.

it's actually been like this every year, this time around they are missing Bowan Byram.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Nor should the U18 be counted, The US is the only country that sends a full time national team.
Maybe so, but they can only play against the competition that is sent. And 15 straight medals is still impressive under any circumstance -- it certainly must contribute to their increased success at the U20 WC over the past decade.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
This poll is stupid . If you are from the USA you vote USA if you are from Canada you vote Canada . Talent does not have any bearing on the vote , it's just an argument poll .

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Maybe so, but they can only play against the competition that is sent. And 15 straight medals is still impressive under any circumstance -- it certainly must contribute to their increased success at the U20 WC over the past decade.

well it does of course, but if you subscribe to the notion that the USA is number two overall and they bring their team and number one doesn't they will medal 15 times in a row.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
keep in mind when the U18 is on, the ChL playoffs is still on. so Canada is always missing 2 or 3 really good players for that tournament.

Canada was missing their 3 best players and a 4th that would have been a top 6 player. Number 1 d man top LW and top Center and debatably another top line forward.

I dont even think this age group is better. They are closing the gap but its still a big gap.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
CHL players playing in the playoffs don't participate. This year alone Canada's 3 best players (imo) weren't playing, Dach, Byram, and Lafreniere.

Byfield too. I watched him quite a bit this year he is a scary talent, have not seen a player with his size, skill and skating ability in decades as a 16 year old.

Perfetti also is very very good.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Except that Canadas best players are playing in the NHL over that period of time.

Take Hughes, Caufield, York and Turcotte off USA this year and see how they do at the U 18s.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Except that Canadas best players are playing in the NHL over that period of time.

Take Hughes, Caufield, York and Turcotte off USA this year and see how they do at the U 18s.
Re-read my post. The medal counts were for the U20 championships, not the U18's. I just briefly mentioned the 15 consecutive medals in the U18 WC.

And Canada's best U18 players are not playing in the NHL -- that's not possible. I think you meant the CHL.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Canadian voting yes. The emergence of the USNTDP and the NCAA as premier developmental programs has catapulted the US in front of Canada. Canada will always put out a lot of great talent simply because it has the largest pool to draw from, but the CHL is not and should not be considered a primarily developmental league. It exists to turn a profit. Hockey Canada doesn't do enough to ensure that it's elite talent is fostered and hits the potential it should before the draft.

Reactions: wasup

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I think the major reasons the US has been beating Canada at a junior level is this:
1) Canadian hockey has an absurd amount of politics. If you look at the teams selected, there's almost always a head scratcher and people asking why someone didn't make the team, even if he deserved it. Don't know why, but they do it every WJC selection camp.

2) USA hockey has the US National Development Team, where the best of the best play together consistently. Canada has a few practices over the summer, then a few throughout the season, and only after they select the team do they actually practice consistently. Chemistry is such a huge role in hockey, which is why I think USA hockey is winning more than Canada.

That being said, in terms of skilled elite players, Canada is still #1. USA is catching up, but so is Finland I think.

Reactions: wasup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad