Is Toronto a Goalie Graveyard?

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
yes but its not fair to hang the goalie out to dry when the leafs give up so many quality chances

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Any team with terrible team-defence is a goalie graveyard. This should come as no surprise to anyone. As an Oilers fan, I know we were generally considered a goalie graveyard too in recent years.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
It's weird, you read some of the rumours and it's that the Coach is asking the goalie to change...

well, if he ain't broke, don't fix it?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Post from Dirk in the Leafs forum. People can keep saying the Leafs are playing terrible defensively but it's simply not the case.

Interesting theory (that Andersen may be facing few shots, but they're great scoring chances).

43% of the shots have come from a low-danger area (12th highest)
39% of them have come from medium-danger areas
19% have come in a high danger spot (8th-fewest)

Andersen is 19th at stopping low danger shots
Andersen is dead last by over 5% at medium danger shots
Andersen is 28th at stopping high danger shots.

Facts:
Andersen isn't facing a lot of shots.
Andersen is not facing a disproportionate share of tough shots.
Andersen isn't stopping shots--whether they're low, medium, or high danger shots.

Based on the above, it's ludicrous to blame the Leafs D on Andersen's performance. The two most likely causes of Andersen's ****** start are (a) variance (b) poor play in net.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Post from Dirk in the Leafs forum. People can keep saying the Leafs are playing terrible defensively but it's simply not the case.

Is this suppose to negate the fact that Andersen is asked to play differently? Is that supposed to excuse the D for breakdowns (there was plenty of those)? Having good Corsi isn't be all end all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leafs should of stuck with James Reimer. He's just as good as JB and FA with the team defense they got on the ice. Heck, Price would look bad playing for the Leafs. Not trying to create an uproar here but its the truth. Leafs are on the way up from the bottom but its been a long way down the hill and will be a long way back up the hill. Good luck as I am a die hard Habs fan but cheer for all Canadian teams!

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Is this suppose to negate the fact that Andersen is asked to play differently? Is that supposed to excuse the D for breakdowns (there was plenty of those)? Having good Corsi isn't be all end all.

Every team has defensive breakdowns, not every breakdown results in a goal. I am not sure why it's the entire teams fault that Freddy is letting in some weak goals and rarely making a good save. He's played like garbage so far, regardless of the team. If he was playing at least average but they were being pounded in their zone it would be a different story.

I am sure he will bounce back and be better than he has but I just don't understand the need to make excuses for a guy who is simply not playing well.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Every team has defensive breakdowns, not every breakdown results in a goal. I am not sure why it's the entire teams fault that Freddy is letting in some weak goals and rarely making a good save. He's played like garbage so far, regardless of the team. If he was playing at least average but they were being pounded in their zone it would be a different story.

I am sure he will bounce back and be better than he has but I just don't understand the need to make excuses for a guy who is simply not playing well.

It's not an excuse, he is asked to play differently and the way he is playing now is moronic. It's like buying a Ferrari and then proceeding to drive it on some dirt backroad. You scouted a guy, you liked how he plays, let him play his own game, don't try to re-invent the wheel. He is not an athletic goalie, he is not someone who challenges the shooters, let him play deeper in net and let him be comfortable, then you'll see a good goalie, you know the one you moved assets for?

If there's someone to blame it's the guy who wants Andersen playing the way he is playing now, the infallible Babcock.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Those aren't corsi stats, those are stats that tell you what quality of shots a goaltender is facing.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto has one of the weak defences in the league and are a very young team. Andersen or any goalie for that matter will probably be in for a rough year.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
2 major things

1. Andersen just came back from an injury and is getting accustomed to an entirely new system.

2. He's being asked to play differently by Babcock to suit the system. He wants his goalies to challenge shooters, but that only works if you have competent defence men who will cover the shot and challenge the pass as well. Only Zaitsev and Rielly have truly looked good this season.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
2 major things

1. Andersen just came back from an injury and is getting accustomed to an entirely new system.

2. He's being asked to play differently by Babcock to suit the system. He wants his goalies to challenge shooters, but that only works if you have competent defence men who will cover the shot and challenge the pass as well. Only Zaitsev and Rielly have truly looked good this season.

Didn't he say, that with a new goalie, you just leave him alone and let him be himself.

After allowing 7 goals on a mere 23 shots, this is getting more and more on Freddy.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Didn't he say, that with a new goalie, you just leave him alone and let him be himself.

After allowing 7 goals on a mere 23 shots, this is getting more and more on Freddy.

So nearly complete change the way he plays then say "He should just play his game" well...

6a00d8345200e269e2017d43050c47970c-800wi

Sounds to me like an organization that doesn't know what they are doing with goalies. Making him take the blame after their failed attempt to change his play style is just ridiculous.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leafs should of stuck with James Reimer. He's just as good as JB and FA with the team defense they got on the ice. Heck, Price would look bad playing for the Leafs. Not trying to create an uproar here but its the truth. Leafs are on the way up from the bottom but its been a long way down the hill and will be a long way back up the hill. Good luck as I am a die hard Habs fan but cheer for all Canadian teams!

No. He was not the answer.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal

Leaf fans will do and say anything before they accept that their defense sucks. not that Anderson isnt also at fault, but lets be real here....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad