Is Toronto a Goalie Graveyard?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
That was 18 years ago (Joseph) and 14 years ago (Belfour).

And even with them, Joseph was bad and Belfour very bad in their last seasons.

I would chalk up the decline of belfour to age and nothing else.... it was bound to happen.

Joseph was pretty good throughout his his run with Toronto so I don't agree with you there. Unless you are talking about his 2nd run with Toronto when he was already 40+ years of age. I would not chalk that up to a goalie graveyard issue either. That was a just a goalie at the end of his career, really.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
giguere literally couldnt stop a puck in toronto, went to colorado and was significantly better instantly. Goaltending is fragile and very mental, tough to step away from in it in toronto.

One of us skewing history a bit, and I admit it very well could be me, but Giguere was a decent in Toronto, but playing behind Lashoff, Lebda, and Aulie, as regulars.

Maybe we're both twisting it a little, I mean his stats in Toronto were quite putrid, but I remember liking Giguere, myself.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
One of us skewing history a bit, and I admit it very well could be me, but Giguere was a decent in Toronto, but playing behind Lashoff, Lebda, and Aulie, as regulars.

Maybe we're both twisting it a little, I mean his stats in Toronto were quite putrid, but I remember liking Giguere, myself.

If it wasn't mentioned, I'd have completely forgotten that giguere played there. Even now, I'm not completely sure if I remember it.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They need to stop trying to change the goalie's style every time they bring somebody in. Andersen was never a great goalie imo, but his strength is definitely not coming out to the circle to stop a puck.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm not concerned. It's been 6 games. He's playing poorly, but it's 6 games vs the rest of his career.

He's a good goalie who is going through a bad stretch. He'll play out of it.

It will help when the young Leafs team gets better at their d zone coverage. They are pretty good at limiting shots, but it's the blown coverage plays that is hurting them (and Andersen).

I think you allude to one of the challenges when evaluating a guy like Andersen. He was brought in based on an incomplete resume. In other words, there was a certain amount of risk associated with looking at him to be a clear-cut #1 on a young, up and coming team. He's struggled a bit behind a very average (to be kind) defense and a very young forward group. The thing is, most goalies would probably struggle a bit under these circumstances.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
His confidence looks shot.
Who knows if he has what it takes mentally to be a starting goalie as it's still too early to say.
As for the Leaf's goalie woes, it's been a combination of trying to mould second tier goalies into starters (and to be clear, I'm not commenting on Andersen here because it's still too early) and not really having a strong defense or defensive system for the forwards.
Teams seem to go through these stretches where they can't find a legit starting goalie. Probably the best long term solution is to draft and develop your own. For example, had they hung onto Rask they'd be in good shape right now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Reimer didn't fail - he was just fine in Toronto, but he was never anything more Han a low end #1 or good backup.

Bernier, Toskala, The Monster, Raycroft were all terrible as Leafs

Andersen

The Monster continues to be terrible, everywhere else that he goes.

Raycroft was a flash in the pan IMO. Toskala was a pretty solid backup, I just don't think he could cut it as a starter.

Bernier had one really good season there. He wasn't completely abysmal the last two seasons, just below average. He probably just was never as good as that first season. I think he overachieved in the first year (13-14) and slightly underachieved in his last two years there.

Reimer has always had fluctuations in play from year to year. He's very inconsistent from year to year. He'll have a pretty good season, then a couple of meh or average seasons in a row, then good again, etc.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown

i remember him being a disaster and was very upset colorado got him after how he played in toronto. I assumed he was done thankfully he was much better for us.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Why is it everyone says 5-6 is way too early to judge a player, but with Andersen it's ok to do so? He put up really solid numbers last season. The guy got injured in the WC. Maybe it's still effecting him.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Neither Cujo or Belfour fell into those graveyards, so no.

It's been over 10 years since then, plenty of time to gain the reputation of goalie graveyard. But I agree with you, as a Sens fan I know first hand that Toronto was certainly not a goalie graveyard in the early 2000s.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Neither Cujo or Belfour fell into those graveyards, so no.

You're referring to players who last played with the leafs 15 years ago! (Cujo's second stint doesn't count) Since then they've chewed through every goalie.

Toronto is definitely a goalie graveyard, and I think it's all because of their backend. If you don't have solid D-players making room in front of the net you're not limiting the other teams' chances enough. They wanted Luke Schenn to be that guy but he never panned out either.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Unless you are one of the truly elite goalies, the defense of the team in front of you matters a lot more than most people are willing to admit. Even a guy like Schneider looks borderline human this year with a worse defense in front of him.

I haven't watched any Leafs games this year, but they haven't exactly been a bastion of team defense when Reimer and Bernier were there. The goalie has to be able to cheat somewhere, contrary to popular belief they can't take up the whole net. When I watched Toronto last season it always seemed like there was a disconnect between where the defense would try to push play towards and where the goalies would cheat. And even when the goalie and team are on the same page, any mistake by the defense can leave the goalie out to dry. stronger defensive play will result in better numbers for goalies every time.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
You're referring to players who last played with the leafs 15 years ago! (Cujo's second stint doesn't count) Since then they've chewed through every goalie.

Toronto is definitely a goalie graveyard, and I think it's all because of their backend. If you don't have solid D-players making room in front of the net you're not limiting the other teams' chances enough. They wanted Luke Schenn to be that guy but he never panned out either.

No, it's because they keep bringing in goalies who aren't good enough.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
They drafted Rask(yeah, remember?) and Reimer the year after. That was in 2006.

Since then they drafted Rollheiser, Sparks and Bibeau in round 6 or later.

Since 2013 they haven't drafted a goaltender.

I don't think that needs more explanation.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They drafted Rask(yeah, remember?) and Reimer the year after. That was in 2006.

Since then they drafted Rollheiser, Sparks and Bibeau in round 6 or later.

Since 2013 they haven't drafted a goaltender.

I don't think that needs more explanation.

Incorrect. They drafted Joseph Woll this year. And he looks good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad