Is Tim Gleason Bought Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Putting someone on waivers for the purpose of waivers, doesn`t mean they are automatically bought out when they clear.

The team still needs to go through with the buyout process.

Why haven`t the Leafs released a news presser stating he is bought out?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Putting someone on waivers for the purpose of waivers, doesn`t mean they are automatically bought out when they clear.

To me it appears Nonis thought he needed the cap space flexibility to hand out a big contract.

However, he likely lost out on the player he was creating that room for.

I'm hoping Gleason isn't actually bought and instead we look to trade him with retained salary so it's only dead cap space for 2 years vs. having dead cap space 3 + 4 years from now.

Tyler Biggs*

Ummmm....Robidas?

Robidas' salary + Gleason's buyout = $3.833M

Gleason's salary = $4M

Savings of $167,000 for a far better defenceman.

Makes no sense, letting Gleason go with 4 years of future cap hit and sign a 37 yr old guy for 3 years at 3 million per season.

It's too bad the Leafs dropped Gleason, he was their best D-man down the stretch...

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Gleason deserves to be on a better team, where forwards actually backcheck
Then he'll do ok as a #5

Ranger played behind the same awful team and was only a -1. Whatever the reason Gleason has been pretty bad for a couple of years and the player he was in 2010 may not be around again. He has been kind of banged up the last couple of years including concussions. Some times it comes back and some times not but I don't think he has been at 100% for a while.

Avec Fromage*

I supported this when I heard of it, but considering the top-9 and defence is practically set and how much cap space is left over, I don't understand buying him out now versus waiting a year.

There is $16.5 million left to sign Gardiner, Holland, Ashton, a defenceman, a backup goaltender, and two fourth liners.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Perhaps you should email them and ask them where the press release is..

Leafs don't usually announce contract issues publicly.. They never announce contract signing dollars and heck they didn't even issue a press release as to who got qualifying offers and who didn't and player agents had to be consulted for info.

Seems just business practices for the Leafs.

His buyout is reported on TSN on Sportsnet and in the Sun and Star papers.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
:
Makes no sense, letting Gleason go with 4 years of future cap hit and sign a 37 yr old guy for 3 years at 3 million per season.

It's too bad the Leafs dropped Gleason, he was their best D-man down the stretch...

-10 with no points in his last 16 games and under 15:00 TOI for half of them. Even the hated Franson was only -4 during the same stretch. Ranger was +5 with 5 points his last 16 games and they still haven't locked him up. After 3 years rust to shake off I think he is more likely to have a better season than Gleason. He must want too much money:sarcasm:

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I don't want to see i buyout where he stays on the books for 4 years. I would rather send him to the AHL and save just over 900k or just keep lots of his salary and trade him.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Surely you jest?

It makes complete sense. Replacing a bad, overpaid defenceman with a better defenceman at a lower cost is smart management. Big deal, 1/70th of our cap is tied up in Gleason for 4 seasons. It's hardly an issue.

Gleason was NOT one of the Leafs best d-men down the stretch, in fact the only time he made a positive impact was when he first came to the team. Once Carlyle's system got instilled in him though, hoo boy it was ugly.

Last edited:

Tyler Biggs*

:

-10 with no points in his last 16 games and under 15:00 TOI for half of them. Even the hated Franson was only -4 during the same stretch. Ranger was +5 with 5 points his last 16 games and they still haven't locked him up. After 3 years rust to shake off I think he is more likely to have a better season than Gleason. He must want too much money:sarcasm:

Gleason ended up being one of the most responsible defensemen the Leafs had. He takes care of his own end before anything else.

Gleason could have continued to be a responsible guy on the back end and provide support for Gardiner and Rielly.

Tyler Biggs*

Surely you jest?

It makes complete sense. Replacing a bad, overpaid defenceman with a better defenceman at a lower cost is smart management. Big deal, 1/70th of our cap is tied up in Gleason for 4 seasons. It's hardly an issue.

Gleason was NOT one of the Leafs best d-men down the stretch, in fact the only time he made a positive impact was when he first came to the team. Once Carlyle's system got instilled in him though, hoo boy it was ugly.

Gleason is a warrior and would've been perfect with our offensive players for a couple of years. Another player on the books that's not on the team for the next 4 years. Didn't we just finish paying Darcy Tucker?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
yes, he's bought out:

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 6m
Carolina Hurricanes sign Tim Gleason to a 1 year at $1.2M contract. #TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad