Is Tim Gleason Bought Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This will seem silly to some, but I don't believe he is bought out. The Maple Leafs never released a presser officially buying him out.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/newsindex.htm?location=/news

The last news was that he cleared waivers and CAN BE BOUGHT OUT.....

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 12h
As expected, Tim Gleason cleared waivers. Can now be bought out by Leafs.

......but no word came that the Leafs officially bought him out, and most just seemed to assume.

Does anyone have a link to an official buy out statement from the Leafs?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
This will seem silly to some, but I don't believe he is bought out. The Maple Leafs never released a presser officially buying him out.

They last news was that he cleared waivers, but no word came that the Leafs officially bought him out, and most just seemed to assume.

:dunno: Good question...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
don't you have to wait 48 hours to be bought out? we weren't using a compliance but i believe that its still 48 hours on the wire to be bought out. ergo. he went down Monday, he cleared Tuesday - so he could be bought out Wednesday/Thursday.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Someone suggested that he won't get bought out until the cap space is needed, such as for the mystery center Nonis may or may not sign or trade for. That sounds plausible.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto

The last news was that he cleared waivers and CAN BE BOUGHT OUT.....

......but no word came that the Leafs officially bought him out, and most just seemed to assume.

Not official yet because Nonis quits work around 4 p.m. everyday for a rootbeer float and a shot of lard..

Seriously though... Can we Finger him into the Marlies?

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Not official yet because Nonis quits work around 4 p.m. everyday for a rootbeer float and a shot of lard..

Seriously though... Can we Finger him into the Marlies?

i know you meant jeff finger, but that sentence is just wrong!!! :laugh:

and no we can't, his cap hit will still count even if he's sent down. so no point in sending him to marlies.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
i know you meant jeff finger, but that sentence is just wrong!!! :laugh:

and no we can't, his cap hit will still count even if he's sent down. so no point in sending him to marlies.

haha too bad.. well.. i'm not sure if they could have made it anymore clear that he was bought out in order to bring Robidas in.. and I don't think they'll sit him in the PB every night until Robidas breaks his leg again. It is clear he will be bought out, the worst puck possession player on the league's worst puck possession team..

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Someone suggested that he won't get bought out until the cap space is needed, such as for the mystery center Nonis may or may not sign or trade for. That sounds plausible.

Isn't there a buyout window?

Also, isn't it shady to not cut a guy loose while other teams still have money to throw around?

Bismuth

Feb 18, 2010
Point Roberts
It makes no sense to have put him on Unconditional Waivers only to not buy him out. There are only two periods in which you are able to buy-out a player, and the second window only opens if your team has multiple club-elected salary arbitration hearings. If they were only interested in buying him out if their arbitration awards were high and they needed the money then they wouldn't have bothered with unconditional waivers until the second buy-out window opened.

The second buy-out period is 48 hours and Unconditional Waivers are only 24 hours so there's no reason to put him on UW this far out from a potential buy-out. I don't think there's ever been an instance of a player being put on Unconditional Waivers only for the club to retain the player - usually the player receives notice of a buy-out before he is actually put on UW.

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Can they not send him to the Marlies and have 900K in cap relief, with the rest of his salary counting against our cap? That might be better for a year, than buying him out right now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes.

Maple Leafs buy out Tim Gleason

The free agent landscape changed massively Monday evening as teams —including the Maple Leafs — let go a surprising number of players via buyouts or by simply not making qualifying offers to retain rights, turning restricted free agents into unrestricted ones.

In the Leafs case, they bought out defenceman Tim Gleason, freeing up about $3 million (U.S.) of cap space for next season, but having to pay him $5.7 million spread out over the next four years. Gleason’s stay-at-home position will likely be taken by Roman Polak, acquired Saturday from St. Louis.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/06/30/maple_leafs_buy_out_tim_gleason.html

Tyler Biggs*

We just finished paying for Tuckers buyout….

Dumb move by my Leafs. Gleason played good, blocking shots and whatnot. Now we got stuck with cap implications for the next 4 years? Gleason was 4 mil and I'm sure the cap effect is 1mil over the next 4 years. Which means we have 3mil room. I don't think we could get someone better than Gleason in 3mil. We should have stuck with Gleason for the 2 years. Maybe even traded him near the deadline for a pick.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm more looking for the Maple Leafs announcing the buy out Mess, not an article in the Star.

Like I said, everyone sorta assumed, but the Leafs didn't say they were buying him out

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I wonder if Nonis is waiting to see if they can land another d-man before buying him out...

Gleason could have been a precursor for the potential Gorges trade, but since that fell through maybe they're waiting to get another LHD before buying him out .. If they can't get one I wonder if they'll hang on to Gleason

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
We just finished paying for Tuckers buyout….

Dumb move by my Leafs. Gleason played good, blocking shots and whatnot. Now we got stuck with cap implications for the next 4 years? Gleason was 4 mil and I'm sure the cap effect is 1mil over the next 4 years. Which means we have 3mil room. I don't think we could get someone better than Gleason in 3mil. We should have stuck with Gleason for the 2 years. Maybe even traded him near the deadline for a pick.

Ummmm....Robidas?

Robidas' salary + Gleason's buyout = $3.833M

Gleason's salary = $4M

Savings of $167,000 for a far better defenceman.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
3.8M is still an overpayment for Robidas.

Robidas/Polak will be an upgrade on Gunnar/Gleason for PK impact, and that is what we really need.

The reason I like these signings is because they are all RC players.

And, having faith in RC's inability to coach, I think Robidas/Polak will look terrible under him and will guarantee RC will be out the door during the first few months of the season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm more looking for the Maple Leafs announcing the buy out Mess, not an article in the Star.

Like I said, everyone sorta assumed, but the Leafs didn't say they were buying him out

There are different types of NHL waivers.

In order for a team to execute a buyout, the player must first clear unconditional waivers. A waiver claim by another team preempts the buyout process. Players with no-move clauses can reject the option of waivers and proceed immediately to a buyout.

With the NHL's free agent signing period a day away, a few NHL teams are getting set by dumping contracts.

Calgary Flames defenceman Shane O'Brien, Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Tim Gleason and New Jersey Devils blueliner Anton Volchenkov were all placed on waivers at Noon et on Monday for the purpose of buyouts.

Gleason, who has $4 million left in each of the next two seasons will be a non-compliance buyout that will affect the Leafs' salary cap over the next four seasons.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456069

The Toronto Maple Leafs have placed defenceman Tim Gleason on unconditional waivers for the purpose of buying him out.Gleason will remain on the Leafs' salary cap for the next four seasons because this is an ordinary-course buyout.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/tim-gleason-waived-by-maple-leafs-1.2692093

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino