WJC: Is this years Austria the worst team ever in the history of WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
how is Germany worse than Latvia?? I thought german hockey has made a big step up in the past 7 or so years??
Past the big 6 (which is big 5 at the moment) anyone can be stronger than anyone in a single given championship. It's not like it will rain Seiders and Stutzles in Germany from now on. They have a decent team, 2 guys drafted. That's kind of the usual. Latvia has maybe their best team ever with 3 guys drafted. Here we go, easy maths.

P.S. I'm not saying drafted guys are of some vital importance to determine the team's strength, that's just so there are some concrete numbers to illustrate the point.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
On thing is for certain, as long as Russia is out of the tournament we are going to see more teams like Austria get blown out. I doubt Norway will be any better next year.
Norway has a real strong roster set for next year - a lot of returning players from their D-A championship team and a couple potential first rounders in Stian Solberg and Michael Brandsegg Nygard to be exited about.

Reactions: Rob

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This just proves that Russia should be at the tournament.

I’m sure that we can all agree that what Russia is doing is wrong but you should ban the teenagers because of it. It’s not like it is their choice or their fault.

My guess is that most people agree with the ban in Canada and almost certainly in Europe.

Sure the tournament would be better with Russia in it, but the world also would be in a much better place.

I actually don't miss them being at the tourney all that much as their ahs been some great hockey games and upsets as well.

Norway has a real strong roster set for next year - a lot of returning players from their D-A championship team and a couple potential first rounders in Stian Solberg and Michael Brandsegg Nygard to be exited about.
Man so many great prospects out there these days.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
At WJC 2019, Denmark managed to score in only one game out of 6 they had. Btw, since then they're only falling down being about to be relegated to D1B this year.
I feel that Austria is still able to upset Latvia if they play it right. Latvia is not that good: yes, athletic and well-coached, but clearly unable to play against good defence, maintain a lead and make comebacks. So once Austria scores first and plays well in defence (smaller ice should be in help), who knows...

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yes Austria lost to Germany, but they actually where better than Germany in this game. Austria won the shots with 33-27

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
There were worse teams in the past. I remember one year when Kazakhstan was much worse, and also I believe Belarus was worse one year. Just some examples I remember right now.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes Austria lost to Germany, but they actually where better than Germany in this game. Austria won the shots with 33-27
I really think they will give Latvia a run here... I think Latvia is better for sure but I could see 4-3 type games.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
The weaker teams are not the problem. The problem is how the tournament is played out. It's a 10 team tournament where 8 yeams qualify for playoffs and the other two teams are participating just to warmup the big boys.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The weaker teams are not the problem. The problem is how the tournament is played out. It's a 10 team tournament where 8 yeams qualify for playoffs and the other two teams are participating just to warmup the big boys.
Russia being gone hurts. If Russia plays, Austria is nudged out and the tournament is better - it sure would have been fun to see Russia vs Czechia in 2023.

We need to hope the lesser teams start improving and make a difference going forward - of course, people have been saying that for decades and, if anything, the tournament has become LESS competitive over that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyFan101

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Past the big 6 (which is big 5 at the moment) anyone can be stronger than anyone in a single given championship. It's not like it will rain Seiders and Stutzles in Germany from now on. They have a decent team, 2 guys drafted. That's kind of the usual. Latvia has maybe their best team ever with 3 guys drafted. Here we go, easy maths.

P.S. I'm not saying drafted guys are of some vital importance to determine the team's strength, that's just so there are some concrete numbers to illustrate the point.
You may be on to something with drafted players helping determine strength.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230101_175544_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230101_175544_Chrome.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
This just proves that Russia should be at the tournament.

I’m sure that we can all agree that what Russia is doing is wrong but you should ban the teenagers because of it. It’s not like it is their choice or their fault.
Nope. Russia is an international pariah and will be treated that way.

If Canada participated in any international event with Russia you'd see me protesting.

In fact if the IIHF let Russia play I think you would see alot of other teams drop out...

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
they wouldn’t be here if Russia was.

.. and frankly, it’s BS they’re not. Those hockey players are not responsible for being from a country with a war criminal. WTF does the IIHF expect them to do? Punishing a bunch of teenagers is stupid.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I’m guessing that Russia would likey have to make their way through the divisions again.

Even if they’re reinstated - it‘ll take a few years for Russia to make it back to the top division.
It will be interesting how they get re-integrated. It wouldn't really serve anyone to make them climb back up from the bottom of the ladder again and have them beat up on like Israel 40-0 for years but they also probably shouldn't be booting teams out that earned their place in the time they were gone. I think we are likely a couple years at minimum before having to figure out that problem though.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'd love to see Russia vs Egypt.
If you think players get overhyped because of the WJC in the top division - wait until Matvei Michkov puts up 20 goals against Bosnia 😂

It will be interesting how they get re-integrated. It wouldn't really serve anyone to make them climb back up from the bottom of the ladder again and have them beat up on like Israel 40-0 for years but they also probably shouldn't be booting teams out that earned their place in the time they were gone. I think we are likely a couple years at minimum before having to figure out that problem though.
I think putting them in D-1B is a good place to put them.

I think that the IIHF will also talk about going to up to 12 teams in the top division. That could be an interesting discussion also.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I’m guessing that Russia would likey have to make their way through the divisions again.

Even if they’re reinstated - it‘ll take a few years for Russia to make it back to the top division.
When it happens it's going to be so funny.

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino